News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

How to rock a comic book -Excelsior True Believers-Showcase Your comics !!!

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, November 02, 2014, 12:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: ITdactyl on March 22, 2018, 12:51:07 PM
Funny enough, in the latest "Thanos" comic series, the earth born Punisher did become a herald of Galactus.

I sometimes wonder if the current comic books would still end up collector's items in the future - and if it's worth holding on to a sealed stash [of comic books].

On that note, your collection is inspiring... and I keep scrolling up to the "Land of Enchantment" post.... :D
I don't read enough of the newer material admittedly so that's amusing to say the least, regarding Punisher then becoming the herald for Galactus , given the above.
Modern day comics in general are a tough order to forecast....most are mass produced to the hilt and often there are multiple or gimmick covers to provide even more copies of said comics.Nowdays some books hit and others miss, making a few newer issues worth some speculation while the majority seem destined for banality.
A few recent books that caught people napping or still might....Mister Miracle Series....try finding a copy of #1 for below 40  dollars today....ouch
The Justice League #40 that introduces Grail Simon, Darkeseids daughter....another smoker for the moment at least.
I also believe a few other books are some point headed for higher plateaus......the intro books for Riri the girl prodigy that became Iron man, The Secret war Issue where Banner is killed by Hawkeye, Avengers 684 where we learn Hulk is immortal and is returning...
Marvel Legacy 1, and many others.DC just announced plans for a New Gods movie which is driving many of those properties higher, but I suggest from the bronze age taking a hard look at the original new gods and mister miracle runs, as well as the associated Jimmy Olsen issues. Watch out especially for Mister Miracle 1,( first Mister miracle) Mister Miracle 4 (First Big Barda) New Gods 1, New Gods #2 (third full appearance of Darkesid)   New Gods 7( the origins of Mister Miracle, and Orion, borrowed from heavily for Star wars)   
Another set of books to watch to the future for are the original run of the "Eternals" from marvel in the 70's...they introduce the Celestials, a group said to have heavy bearing on the movie coming after Infinity War.....
Ant Man and Wasp movie features a villain called the Ghost..first appearance Iron man #219
on and on it seems
   A final remark about new books and their someday values. Back in the 60's and 70's most comics came off "spinracks" or were sold from Drug stores and often took a beating before they were even sold. Parents would habitually discard boxes of old comics stored under beds or in closets as kids moved away. cover prices were.10 or .12 even .15 cents normally.
  Today comics seem to mostly cost 5 dollars per book and when you buy them the store often bags and boards them before you leave. You are taught to preserve, and sold bags, boards, and so forth making certain the books will be handled properly. While that is all wonderful in practice it means far more copies of these books will be around for the future and in much nice shape...its a different time and different world today than the older market in comic books.
This is largely why I somewhat avoid newer material unless something I want to read, need for my collections completeness or other considerations. Most newer books I do not expect to perform well in short, or even long term...however if the hobby continues to grow and the movies keep coming, anything is possible and todays books may well become somedays hot properties....although I doubt it will be in my lifetime.
The book I posted above is from 1968....fifty years old, certified in VF- grade, and still sold for less than a hundred dollars....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

amargasaurus cazaui

If you think curating your dinosaur collection is at times problematic, here is one I am currently wrestling with. The book in question is Incredible Hulk #1 from 1962, perhaps the rarest of the silver-age Marvel keys. I am entertaining the idea of having the book graded and slabbed, for protection and authentication purposes. The main force within the industry for this work is CGC....however there are some complications.
The first problem is this book in the potential grade my copy is, markets for give or take 12-15 thousand dollars. This means the fees for any work done will be pricey as the companies that dabble in this type of work carry insurance for any  comic they have in their possession and fees are based on those rates.
The second issue is that autograph on the first page, from the legendary creator Jack Kirby. In the comic book industry he is referred to as Jack "the King" Kirby ....he created such characters as Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, The Avengers, Captain America , Darkseid, and hundreds more. His drawing skills and ability to visualize and create complex storylines are legendary, and many of todays movies bear his handiwork, be it Star Wars, or Justice League. Sadly he passed away in 1994, so an autograph of his is highly sought after and on such a key and "grail"natured book is insane. Currently the only comic book company handling autograph authentication is CBCS.
Finally I am fairly sure I wish to have the book "pressed" This is a process that flattens all wrinkles, creases, and folds, completely out of the book provided they do not break the color of the page. In addition pressing generally includes treatment with some form of chemicals that remove most staining, discoloration, and toning of the pages, returning them to a glossy white and "minty" look. As the process is considered conservation and not restoration it has no adverse affects on the value and tends to enhance the grade if a book...often this process will take a 4.0 book and lift it to the 5.00 level. With the extreme value of the book, it becomes a worthwhile consideration to take this step.
While CGC is considered the fairly universal choice for having books done, they do not offer the authentication services I wish to have brought to bear....both companies offer pressing grading and encapsulation so I am torn as to having the authentication done at one site, then shipping the book to an alternate location for grading and pressing. Decisions .....

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

amargasaurus cazaui

It is another consideration I am having to make....the general response I am getting is that as the signature appears to be marker it would not be affected,because pressing seems only to remove pencil, and light writing at the best. It was also suggested that if the page were pressed it would brighten and whiten the paper making the signature even more....visible or pronounced.
  Apparently the chemical, which I assume are a dry treatment of some type , do not harm inks, so the colors of the book are safe, as far as writing and art panels. Still it makes you feel like asking to treat only the top of that page, or something.
    JacK Kirby died in 1994 so even his signature on a mundane book makes the price soar...coupled with something like this, it is almost a case of naming your own price to it. Oddly enough his surviving wife Ros spent a few years on the comic con circuit , and she would often sign his autograph to comics for collectors, which I found rather......odd or....hard to wrap my head around.
  The book is the centerpiece of my collection, with the next book up worth only a third as much.
My best signed book behind this one was done for me by Julius Schwartz when I met him 1992 at Dallas Fantasy Fair (since Deceased)
  It is Showcase 22.......the introduction of the silver age green Lantern Hal Jordan, and is also another I have under consideration for some work and conservation soon.
Julius was the brilliant mind at DC Comics in the late 50's and early 60's that decided to update and reintroduce the original golden age characters that had been so popular in the 40's....Flash, Green Lantern, Atom, and many others. His decision to do so sparked a "rebirth"of the comic industry which had all but died during the Seduction of the innocent hearings in congress. A man named Wertham I believe, went before congress and stated comic books were poisoning our children with images of drug use, woman in bondage, dismemberment scenes, and graphic images and storylines. The backlash on the comic industry was massive and most publishers closed shop, leaving DC and a few others to battle onward
   By the early 60's sales were surging and group of men bought up the rights to many of the former comic publishers,( Fawcett,Ajax,Timely )  and created a new entity led by Stan Lee, and hired Jack Kirby as their main writer/artist.....the birth of Marvel Comics. Without Julius Schwartz, there likely would have been no silver age of comics, so you could jokingly say he created Stan Lee.
It also explains why a character created in the 40's was able to be used in the silver age by Marvel comics...and has remained part of our culture since....Captain America. Created around 1941 by Simon and Kirby....issue 3 featured a new guest writer,doing his first ever work in comic books.......Stan Lee.

Side note...at this same show I was supposed hoping to meet Gil Kane, the silver age green lantern artist, and Martiin Nodell, the man who created the golden age green lantern. Gil Kane missed the show...I did meet Martin Nodell, who signed a separate book for me,  as well as some trading cards. Since that time both of those man have also passed on....sadly.

amargasaurus cazaui

Interesting note....My ComicShop.com recently has posted a Mister Miracle #1 for sale, with the splash page signed by Kirby...here is a comparison.
First image is the book cover, second is the splash with the signature at the bottom and final image is both signatures for comparison.

I always enjoy these and trying to guess or feel how different factors might influence the subtle changes in signing....in the images the signature for my book seems more stylized, and has more flourish, while the other comic feels to me like a rapid signature done at a busy signing session, without as much artistic flourish or style.

CityRaptor

I don't have any rare books, and indeed it is a bit chaotic, but here is my collection so far. And yes, I got some of Kirby's work, too.

Some comics are in German, most are in English. I'll name the English titles if the German ones are different:

Godzilla - King of the Monsters ( and Gamera ), Dark Horse/Carlsen

Every of those Carlsen comic issues is two Dark Horse ones. Expect for Nr. 5, which is the "Color Special". The series skips the Time Travel Arc of the US Version, but includes Godzilla vs. Hero Zero, who manages to be both, a rip-off of Ultraman and one of Iron Man, at the same time. 

Marvel Essential Godzilla - King of the Monsters & Awakening

Various Godzilla comics by IDW ( all single issues )

Dinosaurs vs. Aliens & Dinosaurs Attack ( collects the whole series )

Age of Reptiles Omibus & 2 single issues

Xenozoic Tales

Dinosaurs: A Celebration

In an Age of Monsters, HE was mightiest of them all!

The Land That Time Forgot.

Primal Rage, Gon & Where Monsters Dwell

And last but not least:
Jurassic Park ( Topps, collects all 4 issues, but I don't have #0 ) & The Lost World ( Topps/Feest, 1 German Issue = 2 US Issues )
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

ITdactyl

Wow, nice collection!  That also reminded me to hunt for "Dinosaurs: a Celebration" again.  I lost my old copies, and I'm hoping to still find some in good condition.

I also totally forgot about Dinosaurs vs. Aliens.  Was it any good?

amargasaurus cazaui

Amazing set of Godzilla and dinosaur comics....surprised you are missing the original Marvel Series of Godzilla......Someday I will get around to repairing my turok Thread as well as my thread regarding the old "war that Time forgot" series of stories printed in star spangled war stories.
A few of your Godzilla comics have direct cover swipes from the original marvel run.
I never bought the dinosaurs attack comic, but I own the card set at least!
Finally , Devil Dinosaur...wow...I have that entire original series, great books. Moon Boy !

amargasaurus cazaui

Three issues, mostly Typhoid Mary stories, signed by John Romita JR. Signed in 1992 at a convention......
I get bored sometimes at shows, and find who is signing and get a few books signed if nothing else.

amargasaurus cazaui

A "grail" of sorts for me....Aside from Jack Kirby my other favorite artist is his best friend, Jim Steranko. Behold X-men #50, original series, art and cover by Jim Steranko. I have always loved this book and cover, but never had one this nice. Graded an 8.5 or VF+ and assigned the label of a valid witnessed signature by the master himself, Steranko. I love everything about this one...the monochromatic cover, the 2nd appearance of Polaris, Steranko artwork, the signature has superb placement and the choice of ink color was even solid.
  Many people do not realize Kirby and Steranko were best friends and that Steranko was an enterprising escape artist. Kirby created a character as a tribute to his friend....a character today we now know as Mister Miracle, of the New Gods.

amargasaurus cazaui

Another recent grab....This is from the run of books which preceded the modern day run of Captain America, and Iron man. This issue introduces the villian Whiplash, is a CGC graded 6.5 and is a witnessed signature by Larry Lieber. I had heard his name many  times relating to early Marvel stories and art, but always wondered who he was or what his role was.My first clue was that he was quite instrumental in helping create the original Iron man story, which somewhat explains how he signed the book directly over only Iron man's armor.....But who was he? Larry was the youngest of three brothers, and his oldest brother is known as Stanley Lieber...or shortened to....Stan Lee!
  As a side note those of you who are fans of the original true believer should visit youtube, and pull up some of the recent videos of Stan signing at conventions. He appears highly disoriented, and "out of it"  In the videos you can see his handlers accepting book after book as people crowd his line, each paying anywhere from 75 to 150 dollars per signature. As they hand him each book, he appears dazed and confused as they tell him over and over...STAN LEE....as he signs the book his handler grabs it, passes it to the waiting fan and the next book is placed in front of him....STAN LEE...over and over...Noone is allowed to actually speak to him, its a rule. It is a saddening sight to see....I know many dealers on various social networks who take as many as 30-40 books to conventions for him to sign. Each Book has to be prepped, meaning placed inside a sleeve and the placement of the signature created by opening a window for Stan to write within....sometimes it works, sometimes Stan signs the sleeve or worse, scribbles doodles and circles then hands the book back. For me a signature obtained this way just seems...forced and I wouldnt place much value to it.

Look for yourself...
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-arh-001&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=arh&p=stan+lee+signing+comics+video#id=3&vid=408f19e7006ed7ddf155aa7cb330f498&action=click

Digibasherx

Wow, that's terrible.  I think spending 75-150 to have a drink with him instead would be way worth the "Stan Lee... next".

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Digibasherx

I used to collect back prior to the 90's bust, and I think my only signed book was an ASM#300 by McFarlane, it's in the basement somewhere.  It's just in your standard acid free poly and board.

edit: actually now that I think about it, I happened to stop by the LCS one day in the early 2000's and Leonard Kirk was signing, it was the end of the signing day and the shop was pretty much empty, I didn't know who he was, but got chatting and found out he penciled Supergirl at the time, he did a quick sketch for me and signed a couple of covers I really liked for free (I bought the back issues right there).  He was a super laid back and cool guy to meet.  That was a super pleasant surprise.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Digibasherx on July 11, 2018, 07:56:15 PM
I used to collect back prior to the 90's bust, and I think my only signed book was an ASM#300 by McFarlane, it's in the basement somewhere.  It's just in your standard acid free poly and board.

edit: actually now that I think about it, I happened to stop by the LCS one day in the early 2000's and Leonard Kirk was signing, it was the end of the signing day and the shop was pretty much empty, I didn't know who he was, but got chatting and found out he penciled Supergirl at the time, he did a quick sketch for me and signed a couple of covers I really liked for free (I bought the back issues right there).  He was a super laid back and cool guy to meet.  That was a super pleasant surprise.
Those are always fun moments...recently at a tiny local con I met Michael Zeck and had a discussion with him. He had completely forgotten the second book he had done , which was one he inked, and we had some fun with that. I had him sign his pinup he did for Detective #600 , towards the back....a full page rendering of Batman against a full moon. He signed his name in the white open moon area and made it look like a piece of frameable art.
   Amazing spiderman 300 has become a rather expensive book of late, with Venom coming to the big screen. If you have it buried in the basement might want to dig it out and enshrine it ...cause.
   I seldom chase signed books but ones done in person for me or ones that are witness certified I can be tempted to get now and then for the right artist.
   I share a similar story to yours...I was maor into collecting into the 90's boom but got turned clear off by the gimmicks...the holograms, limited die cut artist signed mail in embossed laser engraved DNA enhanced nonsense, etc. I seldom buy new books nowdays and only given characters and certain titles ....another aspect of that was in the nineties you could fill a sack with comics at 20.00, or 75 cents per issue. Nowdays at 3.99 and 4.99 apiece its two or three books for your twenty dollars. So I mostly tend to hoard and stockpile silver age material as a future nest egg.
   I stay caught up on most things Zatanna, New gods, Mister Miracle, and so forth. That's about all I care to deal with anymore. I never buy the limited covers, or gimmick books. For me its story and art mostly for modern books otherwise I could care less.

Digibasherx

Oh, haha, don't remind me about the gimmick books.  I can't count how many crappy books I bought coz of that cover.  It started innocently enough, wrap-arounds, good art (Jim Lee, McFarlane, Liefeld...did I just say Liefeld? *facepalm*), then all the Foil, hologram, Chromium (whatever metal that is), Glow in the Dark, haha.   I can laugh about it now, thinking how rich I would be in the future.  I think I have at least 5 or 6 copies of X-men no.1 and Superman no. 75. 

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Digibasherx on July 15, 2018, 01:57:45 AM
Oh, haha, don't remind me about the gimmick books.  I can't count how many crappy books I bought coz of that cover.  It started innocently enough, wrap-arounds, good art (Jim Lee, McFarlane, Liefeld...did I just say Liefeld? *facepalm*), then all the Foil, hologram, Chromium (whatever metal that is), Glow in the Dark, haha.   I can laugh about it now, thinking how rich I would be in the future.  I think I have at least 5 or 6 copies of X-men no.1 and Superman no. 75.
Oddly  enough some 20 odd years later a few and I mean very few of those books are worth having...x-men 1 has quietly come into its own, as well as believe it or not bagged x-force 1's with the cable or Deadfool card....(yes I typoed it intentionally}
    I  am glad I have always been more of a key collector and stayed away from many of the gimmicks. So  much hype with Image, Valiant and a few other publishers all trying to carve out sections of an already saturated market.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.