You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

I hired a purchase from an eBay seller and he did not answer me.

Started by Shonisaurus, August 24, 2018, 09:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

It is to make a consultation to the members of the forum.

For twelve months through an eBay buyer of recognized prestige I bought different dinosaurs from Battat, that at high prices.

This eBay seller, after buying high-priced miniatures of Battat dinosaurs (gallimimus, utahraptor, styracosaurus, dilophosaurus, ceratosaurus and ouranosaurus). This vendor offered to sell me Battat dinosaurs and told me which dinosaurs were missing in my collection.

The fact is that I was buying figures that were impossible for me to buy through the system of global shipments such as gallimimus, utahraptor, the two ancient versions of ceratosaurus all of Battat, the dinosaur miniatures of Battat stegosaurus, triceratops, amargasaurus and edmontonia. The first Battat version of the dilophosaurus apart from buying products in its store.

The fact is that he also offered to sell prehistoric mammals and prehistoric amphibians of Play Visions that I was missing, but he said he wanted these figures sold by a different method of global shipments because he was losing money using this method, he told me that I would sell these figures for $ 300 that payment was in June. Seeing that I did not deliver the figures, I complained to the Paypal customer protection service

The thing does not end here I also paid him mini tyrannosaurus from Battat for $ 200 and to date he has not sent it to me. In this case, I paid using the MasterCard bank card method and not the Paypal method, which is why I believe that I am not protected by the Paypal buyer protection service.

The seller of Ebay is a reliable person one hundred percent within that community but sincerely now I begin to distrust him since I sent him at least in these two months a whopping of more than four messages and none of them has answered me. Someone could help me?

As you know from the Battat dinosaurs (of which I only need the mini tyrannosaurus from Battat) and the prehistoric amphibians that I lack and the prehistoric mammals, especially palorchestes and smilodon, I would pay whatever they were, for me they are legend figures in the collection of prehistoric toy animals.

I do not think I'm being scammed but I honestly get a very bad impression that in two and a half months he has not answered me. If someone could help me I would appreciate it.

mgaguilar

What's the seller's name?

This needs to be recognized. They are stealing from you, and there is no good reason for them not to answer you for that amount of time other than the fact that they wanted, and stole, your money.

Unfortunately, this does happen. And please make sure not to make any transactions off of an official website that can protect you. People suck, and I learned that the hard way.

Crackington

Sorry to hear you are having problems with this seller, who does not sound 100% reliable!

I agree, it would be good to name the seller on here so that members can avoid in future.

Thinking about your non-PayPal payment, you should have some protection from Mastercard, so I would get in touch with them to see what they can can do.

Hope you are able to get this resolved.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: mgaguilar on August 24, 2018, 09:42:17 AM
What's the seller's name?

This needs to be recognized. They are stealing from you, and there is no good reason for them not to answer you for that amount of time other than the fact that they wanted, and stole, your money.

Unfortunately, this does happen. And please make sure not to make any transactions off of an official website that can protect you. People suck, and I learned that the hard way.
avatar_mgaguilar @mgaguilar The seller is Max Ian and his pseudonym on eBay is advancedarts (196Turquoise Star).

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Crackington on August 24, 2018, 10:17:09 AM
Sorry to hear you are having problems with this seller, who does not sound 100% reliable!

I agree, it would be good to name the seller on here so that members can avoid in future.

Thinking about your non-PayPal payment, you should have some protection from Mastercard, so I would get in touch with them to see what they can can do.

Hope you are able to get this resolved.

Thanks for your words avatar_Crackington @Crackington  I will contact MasterCard to see if they can solve the problem. The seller is Max Ian and his pseudonym on eBay is advancedarts (196Turquoise Star).

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Shonisaurus on August 24, 2018, 09:16:21 AM

The thing does not end here I also paid him mini tyrannosaurus from Battat for $ 200 and to date he has not sent it to me. In this case, I paid using the MasterCard bank card method and not the Paypal method, which is why I believe that I am not protected by the Paypal buyer protection service.

The seller of Ebay is a reliable person one hundred percent within that community but sincerely now I begin to distrust him since I sent him at least in these two months a whopping of more than four messages and none of them has answered me. Someone could help me?

If you paid for an item and the seller didn't ship it in the last two months, probably the seller is not so "reliable"..
I don't want to say that you've been scammed but something strange happened... ???
If you bought by Ebay, first you should open a dispute on Ebay.
If you bought outside Ebay and you paid the seller through Credit Card, well... it's difficult that you'll have your money back..  :-\
You could try to talk to your bank or credit card company because also Mastercard  has a sort of "buyer protection".
And you should tell the name of the seller on the forum if you won't receive the items you paid for... :(
I really hope you could resolve the situation in a good way for you.. :)

Ravonium

I'm the furthest thing from an expert when it comes to the monetary part of eBay, so all I can do in that regard is second everyone else's advice. However I do want to make a couple of passing comments...

Quote from: Shonisaurus on August 24, 2018, 09:16:21 AM
For twelve months through an eBay buyer of recognized prestige I bought different dinosaurs from Battat, that at high prices.

While all of advancedarts' feedback is positive, he only has 197 feedback ratings. I'm pretty sure that's hardly 'recognized prestige'. Either that or he has low customer engagement, which leads me to my next point...

QuoteNot sure why you serial buyers don t leave feedback first since you are on ebay 24-7. If you buy from me and dont leave pos feedback I reserve right to block you from bidding. I never leave feedback first.

This is his profile description. I'll leave this up for others to interpret, but his use of the term "serial buyers" specifically ('serial' as in 'serial killer'), and him making the threat of 'If you don't leave positive feedback, I'll block you from bidding' (which, to me, is quite a weak threat, considering your experience has probably made you not want to buy from him again), makes me think that this threat is targeted at a specific subset of buyers, which I have a feeling you may be included in.

To end this off, I have one question for you, Shonisaurus, as I've not followed every single thread you've made on this issue: Have you actually received any items from this seller, ever?

ITdactyl

Hey Shonisaurus, just to help out:

1.  The processing time for disputes like these is around 2 months since the card issuing company will give the seller ample time to give their side or fix the problem from their end.  Please be patient.

2.  The credit card issuer will only be able to help if the purchase was made not more than 90 days ago.*
*This is generic and depends on the bank that issued your card or your country's laws.

3.  It helps if you actually file a dispute with Ebay.  Ebay won't give your money back since you didn't pay through them, but (1) they are informed that there's a concern with one of their sellers and (2) they will attempt to contact the seller to resolve this issue.  Please ignore this if the item was never offered through Ebay.

4.  Be prepared to confidently answer questions from reps of the credit card company.  They will usually ask for the exact purchase date, the amount paid, name of the seller.  They already have these information, these are just verification questions that tell them you are complaining about a valid purchase.

5.  They might ask you if you were sent the wrong item or a defective item.  Again, these are just test questions.  Clearly state that you did not receive the item.

6.  Sometimes there's another test question - they will ask you if you are willing to accept an exchange.  Remind them again (politely) that you did not receive the item.

7.  They will ask you if you think this is a fraudulent transaction.  The "correct" response is to tell them that you paid for the item, but it wasn't sent to you.  This is just to avoid confusion and not to prolong the process.  In banking terms, it's only a fraudulent transaction if your card was charged without you knowing.  If you tell the rep that you paid for the item but think it's fraud, it sends them 2 conflicting ideas and might cause more problems.

I recommend checking back with Mastercard every 7 days to check for progress.

I wish you the best, and hope this gets resolved soon.

*I just realized this is public.  I'll probably get in trouble... hahaha*

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: ITdactyl on August 24, 2018, 12:14:50 PM
3.  It helps if you actually file a dispute with Ebay.  Ebay won't give your money back since you didn't pay through them, but (1) they are informed that there's a concern with one of their sellers and (2) they will attempt to contact the seller to resolve this issue.

Three months ago I did not receive an Ebay item.
I spoke with the seller first without resolving.
So I opened a dispute with Ebay.
They contacted the seller asking for info.
The seller wasn't able to send regular info about the item.
Ebay fully refunded my transaction directly.
I paid with Paypal but the refund was done by Ebay...
I don't know how it works with credit cards.

Lizerd

Well I will try and help out,
Considering you have spent a significant amount on this you hopefully should be able to get refunded. You can also try to continue messaging him, and have some friends get in on the action, hopefully he could listen. Good luck on getting your stuff and hope it works well, or else we will have something to say  ;)
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

ITdactyl

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on August 24, 2018, 03:18:55 PM
Ebay fully refunded my transaction directly.
I paid with Paypal but the refund was done by Ebay...
I don't know how it works with credit cards.

If the purchase hasn't reached a certain dollar limit, and the errant seller hasn't responded to 2 (or was it 3) communication attempts from ebay (after you've filed your dispute) Ebay will choose to refund to keep the customer happy while they deal with the errant seller.  Pretty easy to do given the close partnership with Paypal.  I don't think this will apply to Shonisaurus' case though, since the payment seems to have been done outside ebay.

It's a longer process with banks because they want security - so if you file a dispute (re: purchase made with a credit card) you'll first have to prove that you're not one of the folks who like to play victim and try to mooch off dispute claims from banks and credit card companies.  Then to avoid legal repercussions, they also have to check the side of the seller.  That said, as long as you're cooperative the banks will work in your favor.

Also avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus , I was reading through the rest of the thread and a question from avatar_Ravonium @Ravonium caught my attention.  Have you received other items from this seller?  I ask this because the bank will check your records of course, and if they see you've made multiple payments to this seller, the bank will also ask about those.  And if you tell them that you received some items, but not others, they bank may categorize this as a simple logistics problem (re: items lost in transit) and not process your refund at all.

The case we're building here is that you made a payment in good faith, and that an errant seller did not send the item promised.

Syndicate Bias

Easy.

EBay doesn't give a rats about their sellers I would know as a seller.and buyer. Sinc3 you didn't do it thru PayPal go to EBay customer Service. They care more about their buyers to be fair, but if you waited two months that really is just a lost cause but try anyways.

Your second option is to dispute it with your bank that has your credit card assigned to. That's the only other way my friend. Hope you get your money back.

ceratopsian

I have no advice to offer to Shonisaurus other than what others have said: go to eBay dispute resolution if purchased through eBay.  If not purchased through eBay, try your credit card company.

I can only emphasise that it can be a costly mistake to purchase something off eBay from an eBay seller.  Years ago I collected hybrid cacti that were difficult to source in the UK, as the hybrids were created in the USA.  Through eBay, I purchased several from a German e-Bay seller.  All went well, the plants were excellent and clearly originally from the USA source.  He then offered to sell me (and a friend of mine) the others I lacked but off eBay, to save on his fees.  He said he had an order coming across from the USA.  I'd made several purchases from him so said yes.  I had a long wait, unanswered e-mails etc.  Eventually a box arrived.  A couple of the contents were what I'd ordered, the others were not - any old common plants clearly taken as cuttings from his own plants.  He refused to answer any e-mails or letters.  I never got my money back.  It cost me a lot of money.  Unless you personally know the eBay seller - e.g. someone well known here on the forum - don't ever accept an offer to make the transaction off eBay.

Shonisaurus

The salesman told me that he gives me back the $ 300 for the impossibility of finding those prehistoric animals from Play Visions. On the other hand he has promised to return the $ 200 for the tyrant of Battat before the impossibility to find it I pass the message.

Dear:

The seller has issued a refund of USD 300.00 and this case has been closed.

You can see the status of this refund at any time by logging into your PayPal account and clicking on Activity.

If you paid with a credit card, the money will be refunded on the card. The refund may take up to 30 days to appear on your card statement.

If you paid with a bank account or with your PayPal account balance, the money will be refunded to your PayPal account. Once you receive the refund, you can withdraw the money from your PayPal balance to your bank account.

View details of the case

I made the claim to Paypal and it seems that it is going to return the 300 dollars to my bank account. With regard to the mini Tyrannosaurus of Battat I send you the following message:

My yahoo is actng up I didnt see this until now.
I will refund you on the 200 now since I am unable to get it.

If you return this seller soon everything will notify the forum. Thanks everyone for your help.

ITdactyl

Glad to hear there's at least a positive response from the seller.

RobinGoodfellow

I'm happy to know that you'll have your money back.
I didn't fully understand what happened between you and the seller but it's good if all ends well.
To be honest, I wouldn't have sent money in advance to a guy with the promise to find rare figures on the market but....

Good Luck to you.
^-^

Shonisaurus

I have checked my Paypal account and returned the $ 300 but unfortunately there is still no sign of the return of the 200 dollars of the tyrannosaurus rex (miniature) of Battat.  :(

If the situation continues like this in the next few days, I will speak with MasterCard to get the money back, including the surcharges, which add up to a whopping 206 dollars. Hopefully everything goes well I will continue to inform you.

stegosauria

In the reply was mentioned that the refund to your bank account (the 200$ via bank card) can take 30 days. So I wouldn't fuss about that for a month because the banks are always slow.

Shonisaurus

I have to communicate that Max Ian on eBay advancedarts (196 Turquoise Star) just returned the money we had agreed. Yesterday he told me with very kind words that he returned the money of 200 dollars due to the impossibility of finding me in the near future the mini tyrannosaurus of Battat, but that he would try to look for it in the future maybe for Christmas.

I have to admit that advancedarts (196Turquoise Star) is a legal man. At least that money will swell my savings account in the future. Thanks to everyone both Max and the forum members who helped me so much.  :)

ceratopsian

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: