News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Rainbow Forest Museum, Petrified Forest National Park

Started by RaptorRex, October 15, 2018, 12:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaptorRex

This past weekend I had the pleasure of visiting Petrified Forest National Park. The park is known for housing many Triassic fossils from the Chinle Formation and has an on site museum called the Rainbow Forest Museum. There are some really nice nondinosaurian archosaur specimens they have on exhibit.

Front entrance. I totally forget to take a picture of the front entrance so I just nabbed this image off of Google.

A Smilosuchus mount hangs on the ceiling in the main room.

Skull cast of Smilosuchus.

A vintage phytosaur diorama that is based on an actual phytosaur skull found with teeth marks.

The second room has an impressive mural of Chinle Formation fauna. This illustration was done by Victor Leshyk.

A tiny limb bone from a silesaur.

Skull of the metoposaur Koskinonodon. The skull shown here is made up of fragments of several different individuals, and skull fragments/clavicles are the only fossilized remains of metoposaurs in the Petrified Forest area.

Vancleavea (Cast? Not sure where the holotype is located so feel free to correct me).

Known elements of Chindesaurus, a small theropod from the Chinle. Along with Coelophysis, it is the only known dinosaur found on Petrified Forest grounds.

Skull cast of Revueltosaurus.

Placerias.

Postosuchus.

Business end of Postosuchus.

Desmastosuchus.

Dimorphodon hitching a ride on the aetosaur. This is actually a placeholder mount for the single pterosaur found in the Petrified Forest, which would've looked similar to Dimorphodon.

Overall, it's a nice little museum that displays the varied ecosystem of the Triassic nicely. Of course, I couldn't walk away with a few mementos...

Lanthanotus

Thanks for sharing, looks like a place worth visiting. I especially like the phytosaur diorama and that cute Dimorphodon skeleton atop the aetosaur.

amargasaurus cazaui

A place I would enjoy visiting, thanks for sharing all of this for us !
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Halichoeres

Wonderful. I haven't been to Petrified Forest for close to 30 years, but if I'm ever back in Arizona I might need to pay a visit.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Libraraptor

ceratopsian

Thank you. Definitely a place to seek out if in the area.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.