News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Formation landmarks

Started by UtahraptorFan, October 21, 2018, 04:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UtahraptorFan

That subject was the best I could come up with. Anyway, I've noticed several Laramidian formations from the Campanian and Maastrichtian whose names refer to streams. I have a word-processing document listing all I know of:

Belly River (Also the name of a group including a few on this list as well as the Dinosaur Park Formation.)
Hell Creek
Judith River
Lance (Creek)
Milk River
Oldman (River)
Prince Creek
St. Mary River
Two Medicine (River)
Wahweap (Creek)
Wapiti (River)
Willow Creek

At least, in the case of the Two Medicine Formation, I figured it was named for the river after I saw a picture a man had made into a poster of a bridge he helped build over it. I guess, though, there is also a Two Medicine Lake.

Anyway, there are a few for which I don't know what they are named after. I haven't been able to find that information about the Aguja, Javelina, and Menefee formations. I did see that the Scollard Formation in Canada is named for a canyon. Does anybody know where I can find that information?
Guide to whether I use suffixes in clade references:
-If it has the unaltered name of a member genus, even a nomen dubium, include it. Examples: Tyrannosaurid, Titanosaurian
-If it has the name of a genus + sauria, leave it off. Examples: Ornithomimosaur, Oviraptorosaur.
-If it's not named for a genus, leave it off. Examples: Genasaur, Gravisaur.
-Exceptions to the 3rd: Maniraptoran, Saur-/Ornithischian

Newt

Good question! It seems like there should be a big online database of geological formations, groups, and members with a listing of their type localities, definitions, exposures, ages, mineral and paleontological contents, and so on.

Sometimes JSTOR or Google Scholar will turn up the original description of the formation, which will list the type locality, but this is a long shot. A lot of these descriptions are buried in century-old regional journals that have not been digitized.

UtahraptorFan

I tried those without luck. You did warn me, after all ("this is a long shot."). There is a community college uphill from my apartment where maybe I could get tips from relevant faculty.

Another thing I thought of regarding one of the formations I mentioned (Wahweap) is that being named for a creek makes it not surprising to me that it's older than the nearby Kaiparowits formation, named for a plateau.
-If it has the unaltered name of a member genus, even a nomen dubium, include it. Examples: Tyrannosaurid, Titanosaurian
-If it has the name of a genus + sauria, leave it off. Examples: Ornithomimosaur, Oviraptorosaur.

UtahraptorFan

I went to the US Geological Survey's website and used their contact page and they quickly responded with the following very helpful link:

https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/Geolex/search/

One of the formations I mentioned in the last paragraph of the OP is named for a stream: the Javelina Formation takes its name from a creek. I also confirmed that, indeed, the Two Medicine Formation is named for the river.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.