You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Some of my teeth (not mine personally but fossils)

Started by BRONSON, February 03, 2019, 08:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRONSON

Lets see if I can get a picture of one of my prehistoric teeth up here for you all.
This is my Carcharocles Megalodon tooth, the largest shark ever on this planet, this tooth is 5.5" long.

Duna

That's a wonderful tooth! Wow, congrats for having such a beauty.

I have a worser one, I couldn't afford any better, yours looks very nice. So I bought along with it a resin replica of a perfect 14 cm one,  :)) one of the biggest ever found.

When asking the seller about megalodon teeth he told me that the price goes with many factors: the condition of the fossil, the size and if it is a front or a side tooth. The front ones like yours are the most valuable.

Congrats!

BRONSON

Quote from: Duna on February 03, 2019, 08:27:02 AM
That's a wonderful tooth! Wow, congrats for having such a beauty.

I have a worser one, I couldn't afford any better, yours looks very nice. So I bought along with it a resin replica of a perfect 14 cm one,  :)) one of the biggest ever found.

When asking the seller about megalodon teeth he told me that the price goes with many factors: the condition of the fossil, the size and if it is a front or a side tooth. The front ones like yours are the most valuable.

Congrats!

Yes thats true, a broken in half 6" would be worth less than a mint 3" , also which part of the world they were found in makes a big difference, as some countrys have really beautiful colours and can contain semi precious minerals but no longer allow them to be exported, some south american countries are a few, I have had many Meg teeth over the year and upgrade if I see one larger & better/as good as what I have, same as with all my teeth. ;D

Libraraptor

Shonisaurus

How much did that avatar_BRONSON @BRONSON  tooth cost you? I was offered one in the Shop of the Museum of Natural Sciences of Madrid and it cost a whopping 300 euros. I declined in this case the offer. It was a semiprecious tooth, fossilized.

BRONSON

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 03, 2019, 12:31:06 PM
How much did that avatar_BRONSON @BRONSON  tooth cost you? I was offered one in the Shop of the Museum of Natural Sciences of Madrid and it cost a whopping 300 euros. I declined in this case the offer. It was a semiprecious tooth, fossilized.

I got friends in the trade who buy, sell and prepare fossils so I got it at cost more or less, paid £100 for him.

Duna

My god, just for that price!!! I´ve seen "normal" teeth in good condition for 300€. Mine cost me 70€, it is not small, but a corner of the gum is broken and most of the tooth enamel is missing.

One just as good and big as yours I've seen priced at about 500-600€.

You are so lucky to have such good contacts!

BRONSON

Here's another tooth I thought I would share with you, this one is from the shark, Otodus Obliquus and is one from the side of its jaws, 
This was the largest shark after the end of the reign of the dinosaurs, when the first mammals ruled the earth, from this species two main branches broke off on the evolutionary tree, Carcharocles  which included and ended with extinction, the Carcharocles Megalodon,  and Carcharadon which ended with the current day Great White shark Carcharodon Carcharias.
The Otodus Obliquus was slightly larger than a modern Great White, and was the apex predator of the sea at that time, these teeth are very common in the Kem Kem Beds of Morocco and thus quite affordable, but because of the hard sandy nature of the ground and the crude way of extraction larger examples are quite often damaged, this tooth measure just over 3", which is a large size for these, my friend has some very rare 4" ones, but these are still in their matrix and have many cracks running through them.

Derek.McManus

I suspect that I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that sort of penetration.

BRONSON

BRONSON

Here is another one of my fossil teeth, this one is from the Giant White shark, or Carcharodon Plicatilis, it prowled the seas around the Pliocene era, this shark evolved into the Carcharodon Hubbelli, which was huge like this shark, but had the beginnings of serrated teeth, and then finally that evolved into the modern Carcharodon Carcharias or Great White shark.
The Giant White was far bigger than a Great White but still tiny compared to the Megalodon.
This species of shark has had more name/species changes in the last 20 years, its been called, Isurus Hastalis, The Giant Mako Broad form, Cosmopolitus Xiphodon, Cosmopolitus Hastalis just to name but a few, but recently it was decided it was not related to Mako's and was part of the Great White sharks family tree.

BRONSON

Here is another fossil tooth, this is one of Carcharocles Megalodon's ancestors, this is a tooth from Carcharocles Angustidens, this shark lived during the Oligocene era, it originated from the Otodus Obliquus, slowly losing its small side teeth or cusps, as the species progressed up the family tree and gaining serrations to the teeth in the process, Carcharocles Chubutensis came after Carcharocles Angustidens, this looks just like a Megalodon tooth but still has the remnants of Angustidens cusps, this line of sharks died out with the Carcharocles Megalodon, this shark was the last of its line, and was a bit larger than a modern day Great White.
Below is the timeline of the Carcharocles shark line.

Otodus Obliquus  -  Paleocene era  , no serrations and large side cusps

Carcharocles Auriculatis  Eocene era, similiar to Otodus but with serrated teeth and cusps

Carcharocles Angustidens  -  Oligocene era, similiar to Auriculatis, but with deeper serrations and smaller cusps

Carcharocles Chubutensis - Miocene era, more like a Megalodon tooth with tiny side cusps.

Carcharocles MegalodonPliocene era, just huge, juveniles were the size of Great Whites

There was other species that possibly fitted inbetween these, some sources say they were just transitional other say short lived separate species.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.