News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Help with 1:1 scale Raptor

Started by Balaur, August 31, 2012, 06:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balaur

Hello, I'm just thinking of a project of a 1:1 scale Deinonychus. What materials would I use and since I need feathers, where can I get them? I just thought of it so maybe in a little when I have time, (like, weekends) I might start or plan it. Also, what would I use for skin before putting thr feathers on? Any help is appreciated.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on August 31, 2012, 06:46:20 AM
Hello, I'm just thinking of a project of a 1:1 scale Deinonychus. What materials would I use and since I need feathers, where can I get them? I just thought of it so maybe in a little when I have time, (like, weekends) I might start or plan it. Also, what would I use for skin before putting thr feathers on? Any help is appreciated.

Try Rich's page here : http://www.dinosaursfoamfibergl.com/building-a-dinosaur.html

It gives a good starting point. :)

Balaur

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 31, 2012, 08:18:02 AM
Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on August 31, 2012, 06:46:20 AM

Try Rich's page here : http://www.dinosaursfoamfibergl.com/building-a-dinosaur.html

It gives a good starting point. :)

Thanks!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Balaur

I've decided to due some other smaller dinosaurs before Deinonychus, so I may do an Epidexipteryx. However, school is getting in the way and 2 days really isn't really enough especially with the boat load of homework.  >:( Anyways, I will probably make some small dinos first. I'm considiring a Protoceratops hatchling or egg with the infant inside. Not sure though. My Deinonychus is going to have a tail fan and primaries with wings and no pronated hands, any suggestions of where I can get feathers for a 3.2 metre long raptor?

ingenia

I once sculpted a feathered dinosaur (Caudipteryx), I made the tail feathers with a package of artificial feathers bought from a party shop at amazon (I think you can use them for carnival *yuck*) and painted them with an airbrush pistol.

Balaur

Quote from: ingenia on September 02, 2012, 08:51:44 AM
I once sculpted a feathered dinosaur (Caudipteryx), I made the tail feathers with a package of artificial feathers bought from a party shop at amazon (I think you can use them for carnival *yuck*) and painted them with an airbrush pistol.

Sorry not to reply sooner but thanks! School is really sucking up my time, so I probably won't start until later, like during winter break.

darylj

I once made a full scale model of an eagle as a film prop,  I contacted my nearest zoo and they gave me bags of left over chicken feathers,  maybe try that,  or a farm? They may even let you to and collect them up so that they dont have to x

Gwangi

Craft shops often carry feathers but you could also try any kind of farm that rears birds (ducks, chickens, turkey, ostrich). Fly fishing suppliers also carry feathers used for making fishing lures (flies).

pheaston

I happen to be in a good position to give you some advice.  I recently completed a full-scale Deinonychus using rooster hackle stitched into bias tape I got from http://www.tonyhill.net/roosterfeathertrim.html  I experimented with craft-store feathers, but the individual feathers were usually too ugly, time-consuming to deal with, and either too small or too large.  That and a lot of the died feathers will eventually fade.

The hackle worked great.  I pinned and glued the bias tape in place starting from the tail to the head, overlapping each course just enough to cover the previous layer's bias tape.  I actually did the bottom white layer first from white craft feathers purchased at a Jo-Ann's craft store.

For the final feathers on the head I pulled individual feathers from the bias tape and dipped the quills in a solvent-free craft glue, then set them into holes I poked into the plaster-covered foam with a metal stylus. 

The wing/arm feathers are whole dried rooster wings I bought on Etsy.com.  I don't remember the dealer, but you can google for them and see what you come up with. 

Hope that helps!

Balaur

Quote from: pheaston on September 10, 2012, 02:54:52 AM
I happen to be in a good position to give you some advice.  I recently completed a full-scale Deinonychus using rooster hackle stitched into bias tape I got from http://www.tonyhill.net/roosterfeathertrim.html  I experimented with craft-store feathers, but the individual feathers were usually too ugly, time-consuming to deal with, and either too small or too large.  That and a lot of the died feathers will eventually fade.

The hackle worked great.  I pinned and glued the bias tape in place starting from the tail to the head, overlapping each course just enough to cover the previous layer's bias tape.  I actually did the bottom white layer first from white craft feathers purchased at a Jo-Ann's craft store.

For the final feathers on the head I pulled individual feathers from the bias tape and dipped the quills in a solvent-free craft glue, then set them into holes I poked into the plaster-covered foam with a metal stylus. 

The wing/arm feathers are whole dried rooster wings I bought on Etsy.com.  I don't remember the dealer, but you can google for them and see what you come up with. 

Hope that helps!

It does! Thanks!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.