News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

London Toy Stores (Looking for CollectA models)

Started by CarnotaurusKing, May 26, 2019, 02:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarnotaurusKing

Does anybody know if there are any places to buy Papo and Collecta models in London? I'm going there soon, and I'm hoping to buy some models from these companies. Schleich and Mattel as well, but those shouldn't be hard to find.

Reply if you know any places I can find models from these companies.

Sincerely,
CarnotaurusKing

ceratopsian

I haven't found CollectA anywhere. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has found such a shop in London.

MLMjp

Hamleys

Went to London about two years ago and they had quite the selection of Papo figures, I don't remember seeing Collecta figures though.

Also if you want a Mattel Spinosaurus, (if you don't have one already) check Smyths, but I believe those stores are outside of the city.

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: ceratopsian on May 26, 2019, 02:34:48 PM
I haven't found CollectA anywhere. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has found such a shop in London.

Darn...

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: MLMjp on May 26, 2019, 04:54:51 PM
Hamleys

Went to London about two years ago and they had quite the selection of Papo figures, I don't remember seeing Collecta figures though.

Also if you want a Mattel Spinosaurus, (if you don't have one already) check Smyths, but I believe those stores are outside of the city.

I've heard of Smyths, it sounds decent.

Thanks.

mgaguilar

Hamleys

avatar_MLMjp @MLMjp Are they really still available? The US got really shafted on release.

MLMjp

Quote from: mgaguilar on May 27, 2019, 03:49:54 AM
Hamleys

avatar_MLMjp @MLMjp Are they really still available? The US got really shafted on release.

I don't live in the UK, but for what I heard there still Spinos there. Its also in stock on their website, but they only ship to the UK and Ireland.

CarnotaurusKing

Does anyone of any stores that sell Safari Ltd toys in London?

Also does anyone know what toy brands are sold at the Natural History Museum of London?

Ravonium

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on June 10, 2019, 05:40:44 PM

Also does anyone know what toy brands are sold at the Natural History Museum of London?

Can't definitively answer the first question (although I doubt it), but to answer your second question, I'll just link a quote from a discussion I had with fellow forum user avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian:

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 25, 2018, 10:26:34 AMI live in London and visit the NHM periodically.  I can say with certainty that their stock of dinosaur toys is pretty appalling.  Mostly as Ravonium rightly says, cheap junk.  Their own line is well stocked but far from wonderful.  Every time I go I make a big point of visiting the shop and it's always a great disappointment.  Their stock of books isn't always great either, though that's quite variable from one visit to the next.
Quote from: Ravonium on August 25, 2018, 08:24:31 AM
Quote from: mgaguilar on August 25, 2018, 04:46:57 AMAre you sure there are none? Even in the Natural History Museum?
Unless I'm mistaken, the NHM doesn't have much in terms of dinosaur toys, apart from own brand stuff of varying degrees of accuracy, cheap junk, and for some reason the JWFK Thrash and Throw Rex (at least according to the gift shop's website).

ceratopsian

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on June 10, 2019, 05:40:44 PM

Safari Ltd: I haven't found a shop that sells them here in London. 

NHM - The news on toy models hasn't changed from my post just quoted!  On the other hand, they are the publishers of the newly published English edition of the Encylopedia of Dinosaurs: the Theropods by the Eofauna people.  But even on the book front, the last time I went I thought they had reduced their dinosaur books (for adults, not children's story book type offerings.)

CarnotaurusKing

*sigh*

So the Natural History Museum only sells the cheap Toyway dreck, chinasaurs, and certain Mattels? I had hoped it wasn't true. Damn, that's really disappointing. I'll be on the lookout for that book though, I was waiting for that to release, but damn, looks like that's the only thing I'll buy from the NHM. At least I'll be buying my fair share of Papos, Schleichs, and the Mattel Spinosaurus elsewhere, so there's that.

Thanks.

Flaffy

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on June 10, 2019, 10:06:51 PM
*sigh*

So the Natural History Museum only sells the cheap Toyway dreck, chinasaurs, and certain Mattels? I had hoped it wasn't true. Damn, that's really disappointing. I'll be on the lookout for that book though, I was waiting for that to release, but damn, looks like that's the only thing I'll buy from the NHM. At least I'll be buying my fair share of Papos, Schleichs, and the Mattel Spinosaurus elsewhere, so there's that.

Thanks.
Yeah, it's really disappointing how the best museums often have the worst gift shops

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: Flaffy on June 10, 2019, 11:27:12 PM
Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on June 10, 2019, 10:06:51 PM
*sigh*

Thanks.
Yeah, it's really disappointing how the best museums often have the worst gift shops

Amen. The AMNH and Field Museum are also pretty bad in this regard. The AMNH had a few good Safari Ltd figures, like the Sauropelta, Brachiosaurus and Kaprosuchus, mixed in with lots of Recurs and Mattels. The Field Museum had some decent Papos and Safaris mixed in with the toyish schlock from Schleich. It's a shame that museums with such good displays have such haphazardous gift shops.

Crackington

I'm afraid it's my general experience too of London and the Natural History Museum being a desert for the better brands.

Outside London, Dinosaur Isle on the Isle of Wight was selling Collecta a while ago and the Dinosaur Museum in Lyme Regis had a good Safari selection. Both places very good for fossils too obviously!

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: Crackington on June 11, 2019, 10:35:43 PM
I'm afraid it's my general experience too of London and the Natural History Museum being a desert for the better brands.

Outside London, Dinosaur Isle on the Isle of Wight was selling Collecta a while ago and the Dinosaur Museum in Lyme Regis had a good Safari selection. Both places very good for fossils too obviously!

Damn. I'm only going to London, and possibly Edinburgh or Glasgow. Actually, to anyone reading, if there are any stores selling Safari Ltds and Collectas in Edinburgh or Glasgow, I'd love to know. Damn, I'd have loved to visit Lyme Regis. Next time I suppose.

One more question and I'll sod off. Does anyone know of any stores of any kind that sell the Battle Damage line from Jurassic World (Albertosaurus, Blue, Velociraptor, etc)?

stegosauria

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on June 12, 2019, 09:17:00 PM
Quote from: Crackington on June 11, 2019, 10:35:43 PM

Damn. I'm only going to London, and possibly Edinburgh or Glasgow. Actually, to anyone reading, if there are any stores selling Safari Ltds and Collectas in Edinburgh or Glasgow, I'd love to know. Damn, I'd have loved to visit Lyme Regis. Next time I suppose.

One more question and I'll sod off. Does anyone know of any stores of any kind that sell the Battle Damage line from Jurassic World (Albertosaurus, Blue, Velociraptor, etc)?

Sorry I can't help with stores in England but if you remain in one place for a time you could order from EverythingDinosaur. I know it's not the same as to go into a well stocked store and check out all figures (especially if you never met before a brand before with your own eyes) but it's a good plan B. And the shipping wouldn't be too expensive (compared to international shipping).

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.