You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Meet Notatesseraeraptor, a new early theropod

Started by Logo7, July 11, 2019, 02:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logo7

A new genus of neotheropod has been described from remains originating from Late Triassic Switzerland. The new genus has been given the name Notatesseraeraptor frikensis ("Feature mosaic tile thief of Frick"), with the genus name originating from the Latin words "nota" ("feature"), "tesserae" ("mosaic tile"), and "raptor" (thief), which refers to the mix of traits in this genus that are commonly associated with dilophosaurids and coelophysids, and the species name originating from the town of Frick in the canton of Aragau, Switzerland, which is near the location where the remains were found. The new genus is based off of a postcranial skeleton discovered in 2006 and a skull discovered in 2009, both from a formation that has also produced high numbers of the prosauropod Plateosaurus. It is currently classified as a neotheropod with affinities to both Dilophosaurus and Averostrans. Its description marks the first named Mesozoic theropod from Switzerland. Here is a reconstruction of the new genus by DeviantArt user cisiopurple, an image of the postcranial skeleton in the Swiss museum Sauriermuseum Frick and a link to the paper describing this new genus.

Paper (abstract only): https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-019-0941-z

brontosauruschuck

I've never seen a cat used as a comparison in a picture of a dinosaur before. I like the expression of the cat, because honestly if a cat saw a dinosaur it probably wouldn't really be interested.

Logo7

Quote from: brontosauruschuck on July 12, 2019, 02:21:07 PM
I've never seen a cat used as a comparison in a picture of a dinosaur before. I like the expression of the cat, because honestly if a cat saw a dinosaur it probably wouldn't really be interested.

cisiopurple tends to use different scale comparisons in his images depending on the size of the dinosaur in question. He's used various human, dog, cat, and mouse silhouettes in order to accurately show the scale of every animal he's representing.

brontosauruschuck

Quote from: Logo7 on July 12, 2019, 02:32:30 PM
Quote from: brontosauruschuck on July 12, 2019, 02:21:07 PM

cisiopurple tends to use different scale comparisons in his images depending on the size of the dinosaur in question. He's used various human, dog, cat, and mouse silhouettes in order to accurately show the scale of every animal he's representing.

I am all for it.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

If it's not a Tesseraeraptor,, then what is it?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Jose S.M.

They went for a very simple name with this one right?   ;D ;D ;D anyway it's an interesting discovery given its mixed characteristics and being the first in it's country.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.