News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA secretly retooling models???

Started by Ikessauro, July 21, 2019, 03:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikessauro

As we all know, CollectA has been around a long time now, since 2007 or so. Their first models were not the best in terms of detail and modeling, so we have seen a couple of retooled models/re-sculpts of their older dinos. The most obvious ones are their Brachiosaurus and T.rex, the first of which was completely re-sculpted and the other was changed a lot in texture and tail position.

I had noticed that their original Deluxe Baryonyx from 2008 had been retooled, the teeth had been changed, as well as the legs and other proportions, but now I realized there is a significantly different version of their standard Baryonyx too. At first I saw this on eBay and thought it could be a knockoff, but ended up finding pictures of it on Amazon and other websites selling it as the real deal. So I ordered one on eBay and comparing it to my original standard Baryonyx it really is different. I still haven't had time to take my own pictures of it, so here's a collage I made with pics from Google.

The reason I am starting this thread is: what other CollectA figures may have been retooled and placed on the market without being advertised as a new version?? This feels like Papo's repaints, because the company changes the figure quite a bit and never tells the consumer. Most websites still sell the Baryonyx using the old picture. Not this really is a big deal, but as a collector is always good to be aware of different variations of the toys.

Jose S.M.

That's curious. There's an improvement on the coloration (which probably brings out details better) but the sculpt looks like the same (ugly) one but they removed the twist on it's tail, the snout looks a bit different too at the tip.

Silvanusaurus

Interesting... the one I have is definitely the one in the 2nd photo, with the more prominent sail/hump on the back, and looking at it in hand, the whole body is much deeper, especially at the base of the tail.
Do you have photos of the differences in the larger deluxe Baryonyx?

Ikessauro

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on July 21, 2019, 04:40:15 PM
Interesting... the one I have is definitely the one in the 2nd photo, with the more prominent sail/hump on the back, and looking at it in hand, the whole body is much deeper, especially at the base of the tail.
Do you have photos of the differences in the larger deluxe Baryonyx?

Right now I don't have the newer re-sculpted Deluxe one, but i had it for a while and made a review on my Youtube Channel. The comparison is around 7:02 minutes. It's in Brazilian Portuguese, but the image is what matters here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNJHMCM0J0g

Dinoguy2

This is probably pretty standard for model companies. I think as the mold is used is wears out and eventually needs to be at least partly retooled (especially if they are saving money by using latex or plaster molds instead of metal?) and companies often take the opportunity to update them a little. Carnegie used to do this constantly as evidenced by all the different variations listed here https://carnegiecollection.blogspot.com/p/the-carnegie-dinosaur-models.html?m=1
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Bokisaurus

It's a common practice and it's not really a "secret" or new figure, just improving some features. Most were done, I believe, in the early years when the split happened and CollectA became its own brand.
I know that Parasaurolophus was also slightly changed ( for the better), and I think the Allosaurus and Becklespinax as well, I could be wrong.
Most of these changes are so subtle that its hard to notice until you have two figures in front of you, and lets admit it, how many of us have multiple Procon/Early CollectA figures ;D ;D ;D

suspsy

Doesn't seem like a big secret. They've also been mounting many of their older theropods on bases for a few years now. I just wish they would get around to the Rajasaurus already.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.