You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New phylogeny of turtles and the evolution of marine clades

Started by Halichoeres, July 18, 2018, 08:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

This study uses a bunch of CT scans to extract more character data from specimens, and produces a new phylogenetic hypothesis suggesting multiple evolutions of marine habit in stem-turtles. I'll have access through my institution in about a month but in the meantime I'll share this screencapped CT scan. My guess is they didn't sample enough diapsid groups to find the sister group of turtles, but if they did, that's what I'm most interested in.

Paywall, but I'm happy to share the pdf once I have access (there's an embargo on online articles released before the print journal): https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/pala.12384
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Halichoeres

A year late, but this paper now seems to be open access. Here's one of the more salient results: 4 major marine turtle clades, including the one that contains both giants like Archelon and modern sea turtles.

Sadly, no sampling of potential sister groups among the sauropsids. Beyond the purview of this project, I guess.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.