News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Lindberg Dinosaurs

Started by Dilopho, June 26, 2016, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dilopho

I'm sorry if there was already a thread on these guys, if there was I couldn't find it.
I LOVE the dumpy old Lindberg dinosaurs, straight from an old Knight painting!
Does anyone else have any?
These are the two I have been able to find, build and paint over the last couple of days:

Apatosaurus/Brontosaurus:

Corythosaurus

CityRaptor

Let's see, I got the Jurassic Park Versions of Tyrannosaurus, Velociraptor and Dilophosaurus. I also got the Corythosaurus and Stegosaurus that were released alongside them.
Further I also have a Brontosaurus painted in green in homage to the Sinclair Logo. And I have an unbuilt Triceratops  which I got together with an Airfix Triceratops and Stegosaurus )
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Silvanusaurus

I've been attracted to these models for quite a while, the T rex looks adorable. They seem quite cheap on eBay, so maybe I'll pick one or two up when i have time to paint them.

Archinto

I had all the jp ones as a kid. They all broke and i threw/sold them away years ago. Kinda wish i still had them. Id paint them upfor reals this time around haha!

They are kindof boring models to me, probably why i havent gotten around to replacing them yet hahaha! Neat fi d though. Ita cool to see people choose to assemble them
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Dilopho

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 26, 2016, 06:36:36 PM
Let's see, I got the Jurassic Park Versions of Tyrannosaurus, Velociraptor and Dilophosaurus. I also got the Corythosaurus and Stegosaurus that were released alongside them.
Further I also have a Brontosaurus painted in green in homage to the Sinclair Logo. And I have an unbuilt Triceratops  which I got together with an Airfix Triceratops and Stegosaurus )
Wow! That's a lot!
I wanted the Raptor a lot but I got these from a weird little UK shop called the Factory Shop. It's not for hobbies, just "whatever shops don't sell anymore". So I'll never get a chance of finding them in my hometown!

fleshanthos

In the 70's they were released under "Lifelike", at least 3 of them had added diorama materials.

I'm still looking for these.
People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Laughable Beliefs

Libraraptor

I like them. They have charme.

Derek.McManus

:) Retro and cool and as previously stated available at a reasonable price in Factory Shop outlets in the UK!

stoneage

:)  This reminds me of the Aurora Prehistoric Scenes Models.

Crackington

They were originally, I think, made by an American company called Pyro which pre-dated the Auroras and were amongst the earliest model dinosaur kits. The stegosaurus which my older brothers had, was the first dinosaur model I ever saw back in 1970 and I ended up having a few of them alongside the Prehistoric scene models. There was a definite improvement in quality between the earliest and later kits, compare the skin work on the Rex with the Corythosaurus. It's amazing that they are still selling today!

CityRaptor

Old Kits don't die, they just get re-issued. Again and again. Unless the molds are lost.

I think I read somewhere that the Corythosaurus and Stegosaurus got the details on their skin improved, probably for the JP versions of them.

Quote from: Derek.McManus on August 15, 2016, 05:23:48 PM
:) Retro and cool and as previously stated available at a reasonable price in Factory Shop outlets in the UK!

Unless you are looking for the "World of" Versions. Or live in Germany. As far as other kits go, I think Lindbergs are more similar to Airfix and Tamiya's first Dinosaur series than to Prehistoric scenes.
Oh no

Crackington

I agree, they are more like the Airfix and earlier Tamiya kits and in one or two cases superior. The Ankylosaurus beats the Airfix one, which looks like an armoured turd, hands down! Not sure about the skin being re-jigged for the Corythosaurus though. I painted it  -ie the original Pyro -as a kid and remember it being pretty much the same as in the photo above. I think this was probably the best one and a brave choice for a kit as they might have gone for a safer bet like Allosaurus instead.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 26, 2016, 06:36:36 PM

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I wondered if the Stegosaurus you mentioned was in Jurassic Park packaging?

CityRaptor

Oh no

DinoToyForum

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 28, 2017, 04:38:52 PM
Yes, like this:
https://www.amazon.de/Jurassic-Park-Stegosaurus-Model-Lindberg/dp/B000UUEF42

Thanks! I have the T. rex and the Velociraptor, but I remember seeing the Dilophosaurus and Corythosaurus back in the day. Never the Stegosaurus, so I wonder if that one was rarer.

tyra-rex2

This is the Corythosaurus after some surgery to re-position the legs, lengthen the neck and rebuild the snout to look more ducky.

fleshanthos

I had phoned the owner of the Lindberg line some 15 years ago to inquire about the extra materials in the "Lifelike World of" kits; he didn't even know the molds had existed!

Presumably, they are out there somewhere...though I am waiting on a 3D scanner to get some extra plants!
People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Laughable Beliefs

CityRaptor

I guess that is another way how assets get lost.
I wonder why they originally stopped those versions. Could it be due to the Triceratops kit containing a topless cavewoman?
Oh no

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.