You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Selenodus, a new sarcopterygian from the Devonian of Morocco

Started by Halichoeres, October 04, 2019, 05:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

More cool stuff from Morocco: Here's Selenodus aquesbiae ("[Najat] Aquesbi's moon-tooth"). It's a member of the early sarcopterygian group Onychodontida, a group known for wicked fangs in their lower jaws. Unfortunately, the anterior dentary wasn't preserved, so the shape of the fangs in this species isn't known. Based on the head measurements, the whole fish was probably about a meter long. Here's the holotype (anterior to the left):

And a reconstruction comparing it with several relatives (all scale bars are 10 mm):

A Grossius
B Onychodus (check out those teeth!)
C Selenodus, the genus described here
D Strunius

Paper (paywall, but message me for a pdf): https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14772019.2019.1655495
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures