You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The first rauisuchid remains from South Africa

Started by Halichoeres, October 04, 2019, 06:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Despite the Elliot Formation being about the right age to have rauisuchids (terrestrial stem-crocodiles), there haven't been any definite fossils described. This study picks through some fragmentary fossils and finds some of them to pertain to rauisuchids, including some jaw fragments and plenty of teeth. These almost certainly come from new species, but the authors refrain from naming any of it because there isn't enough material to reliably differentiate from known species. Nevertheless, this demonstrates their presence at this southern latitude during the late Triassic.

Here's a dentary (jawbone):

Open access (I think, contact me for pdf if not) in Journal of African Earth Sciences: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1464343X19302651
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures