You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Paleontology Books Weaver Finds in the College Library

Started by Weaver, September 17, 2012, 10:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Hey everyone! Uh, well here goes. This idea occured to me as I was browsing the paleontology books in my college library. We have some old-old books. I mean, old as in just in the beginnings of the 1970's. Ahaha... some of these books are so mired in the past and some are trying to put both the new ideas and the old ideas together.

Let me start by mentioning that I haven't read a lot of paleontology books in a while. So I'm out of the loop. Anyway, for kicks I decided to look at the section devoted to geology, geography and paleontology. I found an interesting little book called Archosauria: A New Look at Old Dinosaurs by John C. McLoughlin. That name looked familar but I could not remember where I'd read or heard it before.

So I picked it up and wow! I really liked the art style. Nice hadrosaurs and sure the info was a little dated but- Oh. The T. rex and Gorgosaurus libratus were odd. Okay. Sure, dated info. I can deal with that. So I passed it by. Onto Pssiticosaurus and Protoceratops- OH. Oh wait. Something isn't right here. I flipped back and forth between the Protoceraptops and the Triceratops and oh. I mentally kicked myself. The giant neck-jaw muscles. It's a neat book with nicely feathered ceolurasaurs and then you get to those and it's so... I mean it's not bad. It's just kinda silly with those darn beefy Ceratopsians.

I should not have read this in the public-lounge of the library. I was laughing to myself at these four sections. XD

Oh well. Have a scan of the book (library won't let me scan a page from their copy) by someone else:

So, if you all want more books and reactions to things like this suggest something! If my library has it I'll check it out. If it doesn't I'll find something better.

Gwangi

Interesting picture. Funny how anyone could ever hypothesize that the frill would attach to the body like that. How would it drink or eat?

Weaver

@Gwangi: It's actually a neat book sort of on the cusp of the Dinosaur Renaissance and it does have good parts too it but these are just ridiculous. Hey, maybe the frill anchored a fatty-reserve similar to camels instead? Ahaha... this book gives me such mixed signals. XD It's trying to be forward-thinking but at the same time you have those things. Got a book/obscure text I should try and find Gwangi?

Gwangi

Quote from: Weaver on September 18, 2012, 01:55:00 AM
@Gwangi: It's actually a neat book sort of on the cusp of the Dinosaur Renaissance and it does have good parts too it but these are just ridiculous. Hey, maybe the frill anchored a fatty-reserve similar to camels instead? Ahaha... this book gives me such mixed signals. XD It's trying to be forward-thinking but at the same time you have those things. Got a book/obscure text I should try and find Gwangi?

Not that I can think of at the moment. There is an old pterosaur book that would be interesting to see but I cannot recall the name of it at the moment. I'll let you know if I remember it.

tyrantqueen

I own The Archosauria but I don't like it all that much. There were some good parts to it (when the author discussed how it would have been impossible for sauropods to have lived in swamps without getting eaten by prehistoric crocodiles) but I found the artwork to be pretty ugly and deformed. Look at the legs on this Gorgosaurus for example :P

Btw that trike has creepy goat eyes :o

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 18, 2012, 04:42:31 AM
I own The Archosauria but I don't like it all that much. There were some good parts to it (when the author discussed how it would have been impossible for sauropods to have lived in swamps without getting eaten by prehistoric crocodiles) but I found the artwork to be pretty ugly and deformed. Look at the legs on this Gorgosaurus for example :P

Btw that trike has creepy goat eyes :o

Someone needs to trim those toe nails on that Gorgosaurus.

Weaver

It's not the legs that get me, it's that head. It looks like a dog. :I

Moving on! I'll be checking out Prehistoric Sea Monsters by Dr. Josef Augusta with illustrations by Zdenek Burian on Wednesday. I look forward to reading it. ;)

Takama

Man...Your lucky that your school even has palaeontology books in there libray.   I look around mine, and i cant find a single document that deals with the subject!

Hell. they dont evean teach it around here

It sucks to live in a state that prefers  to be farming corn, instead of learning about the earths most ancient creatures ::)

Gwangi

Quote from: Takama on September 18, 2012, 07:17:30 PM
Man...Your lucky that your school even has palaeontology books in there libray.   I look around mine, and i cant find a single document that deals with the subject!

It sucks to live in a state that prefers  to be farming corn, instead of learning about the earths most ancient creatures ::)

Corn is necessary.

amargasaurus cazaui

You are in for a treat if you are plowing through anything Burian has drawn. His work is stunning. I know the text will be dated and some of that translates to inaccuracy in the drawings, however the work itself is past amazing.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Takama

Quote from: Gwangi on September 18, 2012, 07:44:01 PM
Quote from: Takama on September 18, 2012, 07:17:30 PM

Corn is necessary.

Yeah, I guess your right

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.