News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Exhibit-Inspired Figures?

Started by Loon, December 03, 2019, 04:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libraraptor

Quote from: Stolpergeist on February 01, 2020, 01:07:23 AM
Bullyland Chalicotherium arrived and it has the Museum Stuttgart's logo on its tag but I have no clue if it's tied to any exhibit on display.

I have been to the Museum am Löwentor and didn´t see a Chalicotherium there.

Wow, postsaurischian, thanks for all those great pictures! It is a very cool museum indeed!

Flaffy

Now I really wish Bullyland re-releases all these fantastic figures again.

Shonisaurus

I would buy in my case a deinotherium and a mastodonsaurus whose figures are quite damaged by involuntary abrasions due to friction with other figures. My greatest wish that they have solved the problem of painting. On the other hand I hope that they will relaunch the Bullyland ankylosaurus although in my case I am no longer interested since I have a figure of that great figure with its label thanks to a member of DTF.

PrimevalRaptor

I'm sad I didn't get the Mastodonsaurus when it got re-released but the Stuttgart models by Bullyland are some of my favorites, I remember being really excited when they got released both cause Triassic species are underrepresented and because I loved (and still love) the idea of toys being inspired by the museum models, especially when it's in collaboration.

I liked them so much I gave up a third of my desk space for this diorama back then, sorry for the bad quality, the only picture I have of it is from 2010 :'D

postsaurischian

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 01, 2020, 11:01:15 AM
I would buy in my case a deinotherium .......

As I wrote above, the best place to get one is here:
https://sandspielfiguren.de/einkaufswelt-sandspiel/tierfiguren/praehistorische-tiere-pflanzen/?p=1&o=1&n=12&s=1

Quote from: Stolpergeist on February 01, 2020, 03:35:19 PM
Also the upright standing Bullyland Plateosaurus is based on a sculpture at the museum in Stuttgart as well, but I don't know if they still have it on display, it should be standing outdoors.

That's right! It's still in front of the museum (I was there in winter), but I don't have the figure.
avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor: You could show the figure :) .

Libraraptor

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 01, 2020, 05:19:39 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 01, 2020, 11:01:15 AM
I would buy in my case a deinotherium .......

As I wrote above, the best place to get one is here:
https://sandspielfiguren.de/einkaufswelt-sandspiel/tierfiguren/praehistorische-tiere-pflanzen/?p=1&o=1&n=12&s=1

Also the upright standing Bullyland Plateosaurus is based on a sculpture at the museum in Stuttgart as well, but I don't know if they still have it on display, it should be standing outdoors.

That's right! It's still in front of the museum (I was there in winter), but I don't have the figure.

Here we go! :)

CityRaptor

avatar_PrimevalRaptor @PrimevalRaptor 'Thanos voice' "A small price to pay for Triassic Bullyland diorama."

After aquiring a Mastodonsaurus in good condition:

avatar_PrimevalRaptor @PrimevalRaptor
The Bullyland Plateosaurus may still be the best one that was ever mass produced, the CollectA one doesn't come close to it, nor do Schleich or even Safari Ltd.'s Carnegie Collection.

I'm not too sure about it. If we are talking about the quadrupedal one, the current consent is that good old Schwäbische Lindwurm was a biped.

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 31, 2020, 03:37:01 PM
All the interesting Bullyland figures got re-released in 2012. Mastodonsaurus was the first to be sold out again.
Wasn't that just the Mastodonsaurus and the Cenozoics?

There was an Edaphosaurus nailed on one of the areas where they sell the figures. Unfortunately the staff didn't want to remove it.

Well, even if the removed it, it would probably have some unsightly holes. So it is a reminder of a time when they sold better Bullyland figures.

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 01, 2020, 09:17:27 AM
If someone is interested in Bullyland's mammals, it's best to get them here:
They still have some left.

Funnily enough, I found that exact site today while searching for a pic of Bullyland's 80s T.rex.

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 01, 2020, 09:17:27 AM
(for example there has never been
any relation between Schleich and the Humboldt Museum in Berlin. Schleich just used the popular name).

Yeah, that would explain a few things. I mean, it is very unlikely that for example the Schleich "Brachiosaurus" would pass, given that Brachiosaurus/Giraffatitan it is one of their most popular exhibits. I guess Schleich probably only gave them money in excchange for being able to use their name.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SBell

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 01, 2020, 10:46:48 PM
avatar_PrimevalRaptor @PrimevalRaptor 'Thanos voice' "A small price to pay for Triassic Bullyland diorama."

After aquiring a Mastodonsaurus in good condition:

It only took me two tries to get one in great shape. The first one was accidental shipment from Dinosaur Farm (I had ordered a Gomphotherium, they sent a Mastodonsaurus). They didn't even charge me for it...but did eventually send the elephant!

postsaurischian

Quote from: Libraraptor on February 01, 2020, 08:27:24 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on February 01, 2020, 05:19:39 PM
Here we go! :)

;D  Well done!

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 01, 2020, 10:46:48 PM
All the interesting Bullyland figures got re-released in 2012. Mastodonsaurus was the first to be sold out again.
Wasn't that just the Mastodonsaurus and the Cenozoics?

Yes, you're right of course. Thanks for the correction!

Loon

Quote from: Stolpergeist on February 04, 2020, 08:23:15 PM
The Battat Tyrannosaurus seems to be based on this model at the Boston Museum of Science

https://www.bostonusa.com/listings/museum-of-science/11542/

One of the few instances were the figure looks better than the model that inspired it.

That model, aside from the colors, actually reminds me more of the running Papo Tyrannosaurus than the Battat.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Dan actually sculpted that beast for them.  My T-Rex has the claws,teeth, and eyes that were leftover from his build.

grantharding

Safari's wooly mammoth and Vagaceratops both greatly resemble the life-sized models of those species at the Canadian Museum of Nature in Ottawa.

In the case of the mammoth, Doug Watson sculpted both the big guy and the little guy.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.