You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

avatar_Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Museum on a High School Campus! (Alf Museum)

Started by Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews), November 03, 2021, 01:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I had the pleasure of visiting the Raymond M. Alf Museum of Paleontology recently, and I came away pretty impressed! They pack a lot into a small space. The first floor has a "history of life" theme, featuring fossils from the Precambrian through the Cenezoic, including a really nice Allosaurus & Centrosaurus, and a series of different brontothere skulls. One of their prize specimens is a baby Parasaurolophus named "Joe".

The lower level focuses on ichnology, with tons of different trackways made by creatures from all branches of the tree of life. This is also where their prep lab is, with windows allowing guests to see what the researchers are up to.

The most unique thing about the Alf Museum is that it sits on the campus of the Webb Schools, a high school in Claremont, California. Not only do the high school students get the chance to take classes with the staff at the museum, but they can even publish original research in collaboration with the paleontologists! I would've killed to attend this school had I known about it back in the day.
Check out my full review here!
https://dinodadreviews.com/2021/11/01/raymond-m-alf-museum-of-paleontology/

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I also got to meet paleontologists Andy Farke and Gabe Santos! Gabe is a member of Cosplay For Science, along with fellow paleontologist Brittany Stoneburg, who works at the Western Science Museum, which I also visited recently. Brittany and Gabe have been collaborating for a while on "Fossil Friday Chats" on the Alf Museum's YouTube page, so I feel like this makes the two museums "partners" of a sort. I definitely recommend checking out the Western Science Museum as well!

https://dinodadreviews.com/2021/10/07/western-science-center/

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.