News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Radman's Rejects (2012 Contest)

Started by radman, September 23, 2012, 03:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radman

So the results are in!  Congrats to the winners, and thanks again to Dan and the judges for making it possible.  My entry, # 20, "Desperation" didn't make the finals, but I had fun, which is the main thing.
I think Stemturtle mentioned in the original thread, that there are two definitions of diorama, one being "a moment captured in time", the other "a scale model of a scenario", or something to that effect.  While I have certainly done both in my old dio thread:
http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=dioramas&action=display&thread=2344

for the contests, I have always tried to make scale model sets.  That being said, my first vision, was to have an Iguanodon herd with a lookout on a small hillock scanning for danger.  This proved to be far too complicated for multiple reasons, and I ended up with this scene, called

The Sentry

I liked the standing Iggie, but there were problems with lighting, etc., so I moved on.  My next idea, that  I was really jazzed about, was a scene with my Salas Dicraeosaurus and some Kentrosaurs in a peaceful feeding scene, which was probably what they spent 95% of their life doing.  This is called

Springtime in Tendegaru

Unfortunately, the angles were awkward, the Kentros were difficult to place, and it seemed kinda boring overall.  So I used the same set I had built for something with a little more action

Which I thought was on the right track, but again, didn't seem peppy enough.  I switched out the Acro with the Giga

Desperation (close-up)

Desperation was supposed to represent both the desperation of the giant predator being hungry enough to lunge after a flying morsel, and the pterosaur caught by surprise on the ground being desperate to get away.  Maybe I was trying to be too clever.  Anyway, the Giga is by Galileo, the Tupuxuara is from Krentz.

For the record, of all the dios I voted for, only "Feathered Dragon" made the top six.  Still, I already have lots of ideas for next time, so see you all there then, it's been a blast!

Jetoar

Amazing diorama.  i will share my diorama photographs  ^-^. I think that your diorma was one of the best of the contest.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Gwangi

I thought your entry was fantastic and in the true spirit of what a diorama is supposed to be. Though taking convincing pictures in the outdoors can be difficult nothing compares to creating the entire world yourself. I'm sorry yours didn't get more votes, it really should have. It had a good story, was photographed well and clearly a lot of hard work went into it. I hope to someday do dioramas like that but I just don't have the time or resources to invest in it at the moment. Honestly I'm still scratching my head a bit on how this contest turned out but it is what it is.

Bokisaurus

Great dioramas, its not easy recreating a lost world in your living room ;D I like the last two the best, it had the right balance and scale.
This year's was a tough competition with so many creative and interesting dioramas in the mix, it really was a competition. And I like how there was the popularity and the judges vote.
In the end, as long as you voted for your favorite diorama, that's what counts. I can see how the third winner got a vote for originality, creativity. Wish it was executed a little bit better, it would have been a real stunning piece, in my opinion.  ;)

amargasaurus cazaui

I chose your diorama in my top three, for what that is worth. I felt your piece was inspired brilliance , and loved the vivid colors.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

radman

Thanks for the kind remarks, folks.  Certainly there were flaws in my entry that could have been corrected.  After having taken numerous pix, I noticed too late that the some of the palms were showing their glue spots, among other things.  Hey, it's a learning process.  Lighting, angles, background and model placement are all important.  Anyway, the recent contest raises the bar for the next contest; lets hope even more members enter and/or vote.  I am already looking forward to the next one. ^-^

ZoPteryx

Your diorama was right on my tail for a while there! ;)  I'm really surprised it didn't at least make the honorable mentions, as it's got a great story, colors, and action.  My only nitpick would be those bright mushrooms on the lower left. ;)

radman

I'd love to see more mammals, or at least some more non-dinosaurs in scenes.  Trouble with many mm models is, they're relatively static, Malcolm's recent Daeodon excepted, which is about as dynamic as you're gonna get!  ;)
Let's see what ya got, folks!

radman

One problem I noticed, esp. with the Tendgaru pic for example is, unless you click on the expand bar at the top, the dio looks a lot less impressive than if it fills the screen. :(

radman

Balaur

postsaurischian

:)  Wonderful models, wonderful colours!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.