News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Meet Stellasaurus ancellae!

Started by suspsy, April 29, 2020, 01:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dinoguy2

Very interesting to see more support for the anagenesis hypothesis in centrosaurines. Too bad that, according to this paper, we don't know the exact stratigraphic level of Styracosaurus ovatus.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Sim

It was interesting to read the topic referred to in the quote below:
QuoteBecause MOR 492 is not referable to Styracosaurus ovatus, its additional cranial characters no longer pertain to the diagnosis of Styracosaurus ovatus. These additional cranial characters contributed to the revised phylogenetic placement of Styracosaurus ovatus which necessitated the erection of the new genus name 'Rubeosaurus.' [...] Therefore, with no specimens referable to Styracosaurus ovatus other than the holotype USNM 11869, the name 'Rubeosaurus' ovatus becomes unnecessary, and this genus should be referred to by its original name, Styracosaurus ovatus. This is supported by the phylogenetic analysis reported here, in which Styracosaurus ovatus is once again recovered as the sister taxon to Styracosaurus albertensis.

If my understanding is correct, this leaves Rubeosaurus/Styracosaurus ovatus only known from the back of the frill, while the new genus Stellasaurus is known from parts of the skull previously thought to belong to Rubeosaurus including parts of the frill and a broad nose horn.  Personally I don't mind if Styracosaurus or Rubeosaurus is used for the species ovatus, it still looks quite different from Styracosaurus albertensis to me.  There are other ceratopsid genera that I think have more reason to be synonymised e.g. Coronosaurus and Spinops as additional species of Centrosaurus.

SidB

Looks like Mr. Watson isn't going to run out of ceratopsian material, any time soon, to present to Safari, when he resumes that aspect of his creative work,considering the  phylogenetic tree in the above publication. Or CollectA, for that matter.

suspsy

Quote from: SidB on April 29, 2020, 06:27:32 PM
Looks like Mr. Watson isn't going to run out of ceratopsian material, any time soon, to present to Safari, when he resumes that aspect of his creative work,considering the  phylogenetic tree in the above publication. Or CollectA, for that matter.

A Stellasaurus from either company would be nice, but it really should head way to the back of the line of ceratopsians in need of a toy. Centrosaurus has been waiting at the front for a long, long time now. 

Shonisaurus

Collecta could make a magnificent stellasaurus ancellae or Safari, Doug is an expert in ceraptósidos. My two preferred brands to make stellasaurus ancellae are Safari and Collecta, although PNSO or Rebor could also make beautiful replicas of that rare ceraptósido in the future.

Sim

Quote from: suspsy on May 03, 2020, 01:01:08 PM

A Stellasaurus from either company would be nice, but it really should head way to the back of the line of ceratopsians in need of a toy. Centrosaurus has been waiting at the front for a long, long time now.

I agree Stellasaurus should go to the back of the line, and that Centrosaurus needs a toy.  I'd like to add that I think Chasmosaurus belli and Chasmosaurus russelli need a good toy version as well, and they are also waiting at the front of the line.

suspsy

Quote from: Sim on May 03, 2020, 04:43:20 PM

I agree Stellasaurus should go to the back of the line, and that Centrosaurus needs a toy.  I'd like to add that I think Chasmosaurus belli and Chasmosaurus russelli need a good toy version as well, and they are also waiting at the front of the line.

I'd certainly agree that Chasmosaurus belongs near the front of the line, but I still think Centrosaurus should be standing in front of it. Chasmosaurus already has toys from CollectA, Kaiyodo, Kenner, and PNSO, but AFAIK, Centrosaurus currently doesn't have a single one to its name. Although BotM will eventually change that!

Shonisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on May 04, 2020, 02:16:56 AM
Quote from: Sim on May 03, 2020, 04:43:20 PM

I'd certainly agree that Chasmosaurus belongs near the front of the line, but I still think Centrosaurus should be standing in front of it. Chasmosaurus already has toys from CollectA, Kaiyodo, Kenner, and PNSO, but AFAIK, Centrosaurus currently doesn't have a single one to its name. Although BotM will eventually change that!

Man, I understand that we need a chasmosaurus, the one from Collecta belongs to its beginning brand era. I honestly do not like it is small and poorly finished, nothing to do with the recent einiosaurus and regaliceratops from Collecta as an already professional brand. I honestly would like a Deluxe size chasmosaurus belli, the PNSO chasmosaurus is too small, well done but too small. I would honestly prefer a chasmosaurus to a centrosaurus although it is another very obscure ceraptoside.

Sim

suspsy

Dinoguy2

I'd love to see some company do sort of a "centrosaur evolution series". We have models of most but they're in different styles with very different color schemes. If it's true that Pachyrhinosaurus evolved from Achelousaurus evolved from Einiosaurus evolved from Stellasaurus evolved from Styracosaurus evolved from Centrosaurus, and they're basically all one continuously changing population, you would not expect each one to have a unique color scheme. You would expect each to be a slight color variant of the last in the sequence. Having all of them done in the same style by one sculptor would be a fantastic way to illustrate the anagenesis hypothesis.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Flaffy

A way I could see that happening would be a Centrosaur toob from CollectA or Safari.
Of course it would be ideal to make full sized figures of all those ceratopsids, but I don't know how much demand there is for some of the listed genuses.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.