News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

My Fossil Museum

Started by Pachyrhinosaurus, December 21, 2018, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

Though I'm still collecting toy dinosaurs, my interests have shifted to where fossils have become my primary collecting interest. My collections consist of both vertebrate and invertebrate though the majority of my fossils are of the latter. My fossil collection started in 2011 when I was given some pieces from my father's collection of rock samples.

The first of which is this piece of matrix with brachiopod impressions. I've been told it comes from Pennsylvania.

These pieces have very faint fern impressions on them and are part and counterpart.

This was my first trilobite. Elrathia kingii from Utah.

The first fossil that I had bought for myself was a Neuropteris fern fossil from St. Clair, Pennsylvania. I bought it later that summer at The North Museum of Natural History and Science which I had been visiting since I was in elementary school.

Over the next few months or so I bought some other fossils from their gift shop:

For Christmas that year I got my second trilobite. Also Elrathia kingii, it remains my largest of the species.

In January of 2012 I built some shelves to house my emerging collection.

In the years since, my collection has expanded and diversified to an extent I would not have imagined at that time. I'll post more of my collection eventually a few pieces at a time.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Crackington

Very nice collection and I look forward to seeing more, I particularly liked your trilobites. Do you have any fossils that you have found yourself?

Neosodon

Those mollusk looks really cool.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Halichoeres

Cool collection! And they look very attractive mounted above the palmettos.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Pachyrhinosaurus

Thanks!

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 04, 2019, 08:12:27 PM
And they look very attractive mounted above the palmettos.

They're actually cycads. Unfortunately they don't look this nice anymore but I'm doing what I can to take better care of them.

Quote from: Crackington on December 21, 2018, 09:50:00 PM
Do you have any fossils that you have found yourself?

These gastropods and the brachiopod are among my findings from the Devonian Manhantango fromation of Pennsylvania. Most of the material I brought home wasn't as nice but I did find a few trilobite heads.

I haven't been out in the field much though since most of the fossil localities in my area are closed to public collecting. Hopefully this year I can get out to a few more places.

The trilobites in my avatar are from Nevada and represent two different species. Olenellus gilberti on the right and Olenellus chiefensis on the left. This is my only association with different species of trilobites together on the same plate.
Save Dinoland USA!

Halichoeres

Oh, those are cycads! That's even cooler. I'm sorry to hear they aren't thriving.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Pachyrhinosaurus

My collection features an assortment of local fossils from my home state of Pennsylvania. These two were found in York County, PA.

Olenellus thompsoni

The enigmatic echinoderm, Camptostroma roddyi. These are most often found single, and such an assemblage is very rare. Some of them have feeding appendages preserved.

Another trilobite, this time from Ontario, Canada, Pseudogygites latimarginatus.
Save Dinoland USA!

Halichoeres

Man, those are great! I had never heard of Camptostroma--definitely seems like an odd animal.

Pachyrhinosaurus

A very unique animal, indeed. Some of my fossils are primarily of regional interest and aren't as well-known outside of my area.

This trilobite is a very special new addition to my collection. Odontocephalus ageria, Devonian age, from Perry County, Pennsylvania.

Odontocephalus is perhaps the most sought-after trilobite from Pennsylvania. The locality where these were found is long closed. Most odontocephalus fossils were prepared with acid which destroyed the outer shell, and then either painted brown or left bare. My example was prepared with the proper equipment and retains the original black shell. At over four inches in length, it's one of the larger odontocephalus that have been found. I would consider this to be the best trilobite fossil in my collection.
Save Dinoland USA!

Avian

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on May 26, 2020, 08:21:45 PM
A very unique animal, indeed. Some of my fossils are primarily of regional interest and aren't as well-known outside of my area.

This trilobite is a very special new addition to my collection. Odontocephalus ageria, Devonian age, from Perry County, Pennsylvania.

Odontocephalus is perhaps the most sought-after trilobite from Pennsylvania. The locality where these were found is long closed. Most odontocephalus fossils were prepared with acid which destroyed the outer shell, and then either painted brown or left bare. My example was prepared with the proper equipment and retains the original black shell. At over four inches in length, it's one of the larger odontocephalus that have been found. I would consider this to be the best trilobite fossil in my collection.

Beautiful trilobite! I have never heard of this genus, but that fossil is preserved very well. I guess you are one of the lucky ones to obtain a properly prepared one?
You must understand the past before you can change the future.

Halichoeres

That's a great specimen. I wonder what they were doing with that grill up at the front!

Pachyrhinosaurus

Thanks. I've heard other collectors refer to it as a cow-catcher. I can certainly see the connection.

The skull of an oreodont, Merycoidodon culbertsoni, from the Oligocene epoch of South Dakota.
Save Dinoland USA!

Libraraptor

You have some cool pieces there in your fossil collection!

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Libraraptor on June 22, 2020, 12:51:00 PM
You have some cool pieces there in your fossil collection!

Thank you. I have found that choosing which fossils to add to my collection, and which to display, is almost an art in itself.
Save Dinoland USA!

Pachyrhinosaurus

Recently, I was inspired to look over my fern fossils from the Llewellyn formation of St. Clair, Pennsylvania. These ferns are known for their distinctive contrast with white fossils on gray matrix. The first fossil I purchased for my collection was a small piece of these ferns, and since then I have acquired quite a few nice plates of them. Unfortunately, the site has been closed to collecting for some time and I was never able to make it up there myself. These are the highlights of my St. Clair fern collection, including several species of ferns, lepidodendron bark, Sphenophyllum fronds, and seed pods.

Save Dinoland USA!

Shonisaurus

Those fern fossils are beautiful, my congratulations Pachyrhinosaurus for your fossils.

Tyto_Theropod

Stunning fossil collection, avatar_Pachyrhinosaurus @Pachyrhinosaurus.  Makes me want to get back into the hobby.  Those St Clair fossils are beautiful - you could almost say nature's works of art.
They remind me of the ones you get in the east of Scotland, a location I collected from several times.  I hope you've got all the stratigraphic/locality details recorded so they don't lose their scientific value! ;)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Pachyrhinosaurus

Thanks!

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on August 24, 2020, 06:12:05 PM
Stunning fossil collection, avatar_Pachyrhinosaurus @Pachyrhinosaurus I hope you've got all the stratigraphic/locality details recorded so they don't lose their scientific value! ;)

I retain all the locality information that I know about each item. While for many I know the exact site where they were found, for others I may only know the state or country.
Save Dinoland USA!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.