News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

I need help sleeping

Started by Stegotyranno420, June 06, 2020, 03:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

I want to wake up early at 5:30 am but im having lots of trouble with sleep, i always feel annoyed, uncomfortable, or deep in bad thoughts. help

Libraraptor

This is such a complex issue. If it is no medical problem, the rough-and-ready rules are: the harder you try the less you succeed. Seriously, instead of staying in bed, do something else. Drink a glass of warm milk with honey. Read a book. Let go of the dysfunctional thoughts by meditating.

Shonisaurus

My recommendation, do not obsess at night and what you can do is read a book until sleep comes and forces you to go to bed, insomnia has happened to me that way.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Shonisaurus on June 06, 2020, 07:46:06 AM
My recommendation, do not obsess at night and what you can do is read a book until sleep comes and forces you to go to bed, insomnia has happened to me that way.
What if i have to wake up early

Libraraptor

Quote from: Stegotyranno on June 07, 2020, 04:04:58 AM

Does not matter. I made the experience that one can relatively easily perform his/her daily routines even after a sleepless night. And then in one of the next nights sleep mostly comes without any pressure.
How about what we call a paradox intervention? Try to keep up as long as possible!

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Stegotyranno on June 07, 2020, 04:04:58 AM

I know from experience, the more you obsess the less you will sleep. I also go to bed very late and for work and study reasons I get up very early. Even if you don't sleep, keep your eyes closed and rest in the event that you get up very early or read a book comfortably in bed for half an hour and then relax.

On the other hand it would be good if you took chamomiles with honey, that will calm you down and encourage you to sleep in bed, on the other hand there are natural herbal medicines that serve to rest, take melatonin that is very good, my mother took it to sleep, at least it relaxes an insomniac person.

Mellow Stego

Sounds a bit like anxiety.  It sucks, I know...    I have it pretty bad myself, but that's a story for another thread.
What I do to help me sleep at night is listen to podcasts or a audio book in bed. My reasoning is that if my mind begins to wonder into a dark place I distract myself by paying attention to what is being said in the podcast. after a while I fall fast asleep. 
Of course don't listen to anything stressful.

Don't know if it'll work for you, but I've been doing it for 10 years now.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Mellow Stego on June 08, 2020, 05:40:50 AM
Sounds a bit like anxiety.  It sucks, I know...    I have it pretty bad myself, but that's a story for another thread.
What I do to help me sleep at night is listen to podcasts or a audio book in bed. My reasoning is that if my mind begins to wonder into a dark place I distract myself by paying attention to what is being said in the podcast. after a while I fall fast asleep. 
Of course don't listen to anything stressful.

Don't know if it'll work for you, but I've been doing it for 10 years now.
yeah The milk thing is working very good for me, and i will try your idea too, my stegosaurian friend

Syndicate Bias

Ah I remember having a hard time sleeping when I was younger. Always deep in thoughts despite having my eyes shut for an hour or so. If it's not a medical issue, being more physically active throughout the day helps especially when you're younger and have more energy to burn off. At least for me it did. Just don't ever consider taking Melatonin unless your doctor recommends it, I tried using it and ended up being a sloth for a good few months lol

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on June 08, 2020, 07:25:34 AM
Ah I remember having a hard time sleeping when I was younger. Always deep in thoughts despite having my eyes shut for an hour or so. If it's not a medical issue, being more physically active throughout the day helps especially when you're younger and have more energy to burn off. At least for me it did. Just don't ever consider taking Melatonin unless your doctor recommends it, I tried using it and ended up being a sloth for a good few months lol

There is herbal medicine, totally innocuous and it is more I think not long ago. My mother was taking melatonin and honestly could not even fall asleep that way, but it kept her more or less calm.

If that does not work, better have a glass of milk with honey or an infusion with honey, ventilate the house well and close your eyes even if you are not sleepy and keep your eyes closed resting in bed until the alarm clock rings, it is the only solution that I find and above all try to sleep two or three hours after dinner, that way you will no longer have digestive problems.

SidB

Under the right circumstances, it really is within our capabilities to gain a very substantial measure of control over the swirl of thoughts, images and the bedlam of emotions that accompany them, especially at and during the night. There are meditative techniques that will bring the " wild hawk of the mind" under control and be in a peaceful state. I was something of an insomniac, but now I always fall asleep within a very few minutes of laying down.

ceratopsian

Quote from: SidB on June 08, 2020, 12:17:50 PM
.......There are meditative techniques that will bring the " wild hawk of the mind" under control and be in a peaceful state. I was something of an insomniac, but now I always fall asleep within a very few minutes of laying down.
S @SidB - That is a serious achievement.  Are you able to outline the techniques you have found so beneficial?

Stegotyranno420

Thanks everyone for the tips. Even though warm milk fixed my problem, i realised that all you forumites were better friends than any i had at school, regardless of race, age, and country. Thanks very much.You all are good friends

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 08, 2020, 02:17:00 PM
Quote from: SidB on June 08, 2020, 12:17:50 PM
.......There are meditative techniques that will bring the " wild hawk of the mind" under control and be in a peaceful state. I was something of an insomniac, but now I always fall asleep within a very few minutes of laying down.
S @SidB - That is a serious achievement.  Are you able to outline the techniques you have found so beneficial?
You are quite right, it has been most transformative. I might suggest Martin Laird's little book, "Into the Silent Land", Oxford University Press, 2006.

ceratopsian

Thanks S @SidB.  I will track it down and investigate.

sauroid

i dont suggest you take this but i found out when i take tylenol when im having some kinda pain i fall asleep very fast as soon as i lie down in bed.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: sauroid on July 03, 2020, 04:55:18 PM
i dont suggest you take this but i found out when i take tylenol when im having some kinda pain i fall asleep very fast as soon as i lie down in bed.
Yeah. Same for with Advil(only when im sick) but it takes longer

SidB

The sleep issues of some people have proven manageable through thought and mood control techniques (eg "mindfulness", Buddhist methodologies, Eastern Orthodox hesychastic approaches), others need chemical intervention. You have to decide where you stand in this regard. Some people don't trust one or the other approach. You will have to decide where you stand.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: SidB on July 03, 2020, 05:13:00 PM
The sleep issues of some people have proven manageable through thought and mood control techniques (eg "mindfulness", Buddhist methodologies, Eastern Orthodox hesychastic approaches), others need chemical intervention. You have to decide where you stand in this regard. Some people don't trust one or the other approach. You will have to decide where you stand.
Im on team "Hot Milk". I just have milk every night. yeah its not a problem anymore

SidB

Good ... the elegance of simplicity.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: