You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur cardboard models (Pinoart Tyrannosaurus skull by Katsuyuki Shiga)

Started by brontodocus, August 29, 2012, 10:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Quote from: primeval12 on October 16, 2012, 10:01:01 PM
Do you need special paper for this?

I would suggest a stronger than usual paper, yes!

Quote from: DC on October 16, 2012, 03:24:18 PM
I got them for the display back dropsto use with dioramas.  Your easy still seems hard to me.
Similar Situation here.
Although, instead of the Koreanosaurus one, I got myself this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Dioramas-Assemble-Matthew-Kalmenoff/dp/0486245411
Dinosaur Dioramas to Cut & Assemble.
Ofcourse, the whole thing when assembled ( which I have not done yet, mine is still in one piece ), looks rather retro:

A lot of classic memes:
Aquatic Brontosaurus
Tree-hugging Hypsilophodon
Ornitholestes hunting the Urvogel
Taildraggers
Kangaroo-Iguanodon
Tyrannosaurus vs. Triceratops ( while not neccesarry, it is rather easy to do )
Lots and lots of Influence by Knight, Zallinger and Burian, Style-wise aswell.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

brontodocus

If only you could see my first attempts... no, you can't, unfortunately they ended up as waste paper... :-[ Actually, I'm quite glad you won't ever see them... ;D

Yes, heavier than normal paper is mostly recommended for stability. My Johan Scherft "Microceratops" is printed on 120g/sqm paper (as suggested by the artist himself). Most of the available kits use paper of approx. 130-160g, although I've had models that were printed on very tough cardboard of approx. 300g (which is too rigid for most purposes and you literally get blisters on your fingers from holding your x-acto knife or whatever cutting knife you use). My own colour laser printer doesn't print on anything heavier than 80-90g and so I've tried some smaller models with this and had quite good results, too. But I wouldn't want to risk to build a dinosaur model that's going to be 0.5 m long or more out of it. :-\

Quote from: Jetoar on October 16, 2012, 10:47:31 PM
My friends and I would like to do tthe JPOG Tyrannosaurus  ^-^ .
I'd love to see the finished result! :) But I believe this may be very hard in comparison to all other cardboard models posted here so far, 124 parts is quite a lot and the parts have lots and lots of small tabs to cut. And worse - there's no instructions! :o You'd have to click on each part of the 2d window in Pepakura to actually see where this part belongs in the 3d window. A little tricky but it can be done.

I think I remember this "Dinosaur Diorama Cut&Assemble" kit! :) It was also sold at my favourite store for cardboard models, Scheuer&StrĂ¼ver, which went out of business a few years ago.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

CityRaptor

Well, seems like it is still available on Amazon, if you want one.

I also remember a different book with punchout Dinosaurs and plants. Dinosaurs were more modern looking ( no taildraggers, but there was still that one Brontosaurus...), had a Quetzalcoatlus inspired by Stout. There were two books ( one with an orange Albertosaurus and one with a purplish-blue Tyrannosaurus on the cover ) . Both could form dioramas on their own, but could also form one large Diorama. I think I owned more than one of each over the years.
Oh no

brontodocus

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 17, 2012, 01:20:06 AM
Oh, thanks again, I've found it on Amazon.de and bookmarked it! :)

A few weeks ago I received the three papercraft dinosaur skull models that were made by Katsuyuki Shiga from Pinoart in Japan (thanks again, Helge! :) ). The released models are Tyrannosaurus (No. D001), Triceratops (No. D002), and Styracosaurus (No. D003). They are printed on heavy (approx. 205 g/sqm) orange paper that has a nice texture (just like the antique style cardboard that's sometimes used as soft cover for a Master or PhD thesis). Finally I've started to build them.

The Triceratops skull was finished today:

The skull is 262 mm long and the greatest width of the frill is 204 mm between the tips of the epoccipitals so it's approx. 1/7th to 1/9th scale. The Joan Collins figure for size comparison is approx. 1/7.5 scale. ;D The model was really fun to build with mostly perfectly fitting parts. Since the cardboard is completely imbued with orange colour there's no need to paint the cutting edges which made the assembly even more comfortable. :)

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

CityRaptor

Wow! That skull looks great. But probably only something for experts...

Quote from: brontodocus on October 21, 2012, 04:27:18 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on October 17, 2012, 01:20:06 AM
Oh, thanks again, I've found it on Amazon.de and bookmarked it! :)

You are welcome. Amazon can be a good source for books, even if some prices are downright crazy.
Also, in case you wonder why it will take so long deliver that book...I brought the last one they had! *evil laugh*
Oh no

postsaurischian

Wowie Zowie :D .. the skull is really beautiful! Very well done. And well displayed with that stand too.
Can't wait to see the Styracosaurus ^-^!

............. I didn't know Alexis was into Dinosaurs :).

brontodocus

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 22, 2012, 08:34:28 AM
Wow! That skull looks great. But probably only something for experts...
Thanks! :) Even though there are over 80 parts it isn't all that difficult (well, admittedly it may not be a beginners' model either, more than 80 parts want to be cut and folds have to be scored before you can start assembling the whole thing). :) Before I started I was very worried about e.g. the horns consisting of tubes that have to be glued into one another, often enough such parts can be really tricky on a cardboard model but this one turned out easier than I expected. This may be partly due to the cardboard material which literally sucks up the white glue rather quickly so the glued tabs dry quite fast (so for all who are going to print out a cardboard model at home, better stay away from glossy cardboard/paper because the white glue doesn't stick well to it). The epoccipitals are flattened cones and glueing them on took no more than perhaps 20 minutes.
Quote from: postsaurischian on October 22, 2012, 05:36:56 PM
Wowie Zowie :D .. the skull is really beautiful! Very well done. And well displayed with that stand too.
Can't wait to see the Styracosaurus ^-^ !
Thanks, Helge! :) While the stand looks nice it may be the model's only downside: If you decide not to glue the skull onto it (and I didn't) the whole thing is quite unbalanced and either the skull hangs lopsided or may even fall off. :-\ Maybe strengthening the upper part that holds the skull can be strengthened with thicker cardboard or the like. Oh, and yesterday I had to decide which one to cut out next and I've started the Tyrannosaurus so the Styracosaurus may be the last one of the three.
Quote from: postsaurischian on October 22, 2012, 05:36:56 PM............. I didn't know Alexis was into Dinosaurs :) .
Well, that gives a whole new meaning to "dynasty of dinosaurs" I guess? ;D I'm still looking for a Fonzie figure, by the way. Yes.

brontodocus

So here's another skull cardboard model from the Pinoart "Papercraft Dinosaur Skeleton" series, No. D001 - the Tyrannosaurus skull:

The length of the Tyrannosaurus skull is 225 mm so approx. 1/5.5 to 1/7.5 scale. :)

Dean Nonychus

So I know this is an older thread but I was looking for more models and templates to work on with my kids.

We've done these ones:
https://www.twinkl.co.za/resource/t-t-18000-dinosaur-cone-characters
https://www.twinkl.co.za/resource/t-t-28356-3d-dinosaur-paper-models
https://www.twinkl.co.za/resource/t-t-28356-3d-dinosaur-paper-models

But they're looking for something a little more complicated. Does anyone have any recommendations for some good, anatomically accurate papercraft?
Open the door, get on the floor
Everybody walk the dinosaur