You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Late '80s / Early '90s Large-Format Books With Pictures Of Cerotopsian Herd

Started by Justin_, June 18, 2020, 12:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin_

I remember in around 1994 looking through the large-format dinosaur books in a couple of central London bookstores. At least one had a panoramic illustration of a Cerotopsian herd spread out across a plain, possibly Centrosaurus as there were also pictures of the Alberta river-crossing.
They were in the Science departments of the shops, so not children's books, and I think they were possibly published by US university presses, but may have been British.

Does anyone have any idea which book or books could be stuck in my memory all these years later?

I remember the illustration-style was close to Mark Hallett. I'm a big fan of John Sibbick so I think if he had done a scene like this I'd have found it by now. Also, I'm pretty sure they were colour illustrations, so it isn't this Doug Henderson one from the Czerkas' "Dinosaurs, A Global View"which I have.

I've just found this Greg Paul illustration but without a date on it I couldn't say if this is a possible one.

I know Vladimir Krb's Tyrell Museum mural of the Albertosaurus feeding on the Centrosaurus carcass in the river bed. I don't think that was in these books, but did he do a herd scene?

HD-man

The GSPaul illustration features in Gardom/Milner's The Natural History Museum Book of Dinosaurs, the 1st edition of which is from 1993.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Justin_

That must be one of the books I remember. Does it also have a full or half-page picture of a Cerotopsian herd on an open plain?

Any other suggestions?

HD-man

Quote from: Justin_ on June 19, 2020, 05:21:46 PMThat must be one of the books I remember. Does it also have a full or half-page picture of a Cerotopsian herd on an open plain?

It does have a "half-page picture of a Cerotopsian herd": http://johnsibbick.com/library/displayfull.asp?product=DM7
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Justin_

That looks like an update of a similar scene with slightly chubby Chasmosaurs in the Normapedia. However it is not the image I'm trying to locate which was definitely colour. I'm also pretty sure was it was just showing the vast size of the herd rather than specific behaviour as this one does.

MelanieReynolds

I'm so glad there's someone else with a memory of this book! I wish I could help you in identifying it, but I too have been trying to track it down for years. If it's the same one you're thinking of, it told a story in images, no print whatsoever as far as I can recall. I'm reasonably certain it focused on a herd of Centrosaurs, and there were images of a river crossing, as well as a forest fire near the end, and one of them escaped down the river.

The Greg Paul painting you posted REALLY reminds me of the style, but I can't be sure if he was the artist.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.