You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

A forgotten trip Loon took to the LA Natural History Museum when he was 7

Started by Loon, November 08, 2020, 12:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

The other day, my family and I were going through my dad's Shutterfly albums. It kind of showed me how, without pictures, some memories would just be lost entirely. For example, the pictures I'm about to share with you are from a trip my family took to the Los Angeles Natural History Museum in November of 2005 (almost 15 years ago :o). While I frequent this place these days, well, before the pandemic, I don't really have memories of going when I was younger. I know I did go, but I have more memories of going to the La Brea Tar Pits or the Science Center. I mean, I was only 7, so I can forgive myself for not remembering this. But, I figured It would be fun to share. I really got a kick out of seeing these pictures; It shows just how much the museum's changed in 15 years.

A couple of notes: Firstly, my brother, Andrew, and I are going to be in a few of these pictures (I'm the chubby one in the light blue shirt with the font that looks like it's the logo of a neo-catholic fascist biker gang). Secondly, I don't know what's going on here, but a lot of these pictures are very dark. Some in the album were so dark that I couldn't even make out what was going on in them, so I'm not sharing them here. I'm no photography buff, but I'm seeing the flash in a lot of these pics (great for museums, I know), and I think that has something to do with it. Anyway, I've enhanced all of them to be a bit brighter. So, without further delay, enjoy?

Argentinosaurus vertebrae. Definitely not there anymore.

Some sort of model, maybe a very outdated Hadrosaur? Kinda looks like a Parasaurolophus? I don't know, Andrew's head's in the way.

A very hard to see Allosaurus model.

Andrew and a Tyrannosaurus skull. I'm 100% sure we still have this guy, though there are so many goddamn T. rex skulls at the LA NHM, I couldn't tell.

This Dilophosaurus is definitely not there anymore. I'm wondering if this was part of a traveling exhibit?

Prehistoric marine reptiles, I believe some of these are still there. I can't tell a Styxosaurus from an Elasmosaurus, so I'm not sure.

A museum staple, the Blue Whale skeleton. This is now near one of the exits to the Nature Walk. I'm guessing this is where the "Age of Mammals" exhibit now is.

I'm pretty sure these are all extant animals.

Some extinct Mammals. I don't believe we still have these exact specimens and I don't know where these were in the museum.

Us being dumb with the taxidermy; which is still there.

A Great Auk? This might be in the bird hall still, I'm not sure.

Our papa with us and an Easter Island head, which I just learned are called "Moʻai". I may have terrible eyesight, but I don't believe this is there anymore.

The classic Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops statue back when it was in the Rose Gardens, I believe. Now it's closer to the street.

I really don't know what I'm looking at here, both now and then...

So, those were my silly photos. I really hope someone gets at least some slight enjoyment out of them.

Lanthanotus

QuoteI really hope someone gets at least some slight enjoyment out of them.   

I indeed did. Looks like a great place to offer some lasting memories for kids and your and your brothers authentic posing reminds me of my own childhood.

Libraraptor

Shonisaurus

I have enjoyed the photographs. That should bring you very nice memories of your childhood, although of course you don't remember much about your stay in that museum. The important thing in your case that you have enjoyed seeing those photographs.

Undoubtedly the best museums of Natural History and Dinosaurs are in the US, Canada, China, Argentina and Great Britain by far.

ceratopsian

I enjoyed this too.  I find it strangely comforting that others also lack perfect memories of exactly where they visited long ago!

Loon

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I horns wasn't expecting anyone to bother with this thread, but I'm happy you all enjoyed it.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.