News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

WANTED - Running T. Rex Model/Maquette

Started by Vampire, May 27, 2021, 01:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vampire

Been searching high and low for one of the versions/releases, and have not come across one yet. This is at the top of my want list, so I'm hoping you all here can help me look in the right direction.

From what I know, there have been a few recast of the original model/maquette, and figures made from it as well. I know of the following;

Horizon Models model kit
Dino Dream

I'm interested in either one, or any other companies release of this model. In any condition, painted or unpainted. I appreciate any help you all could give.

Thank ya for your time!

EDIT: Correction. Horizon never made one, but one was retooled to have a very similar pose for someone.

Doug Watson

avatar_Vampire @Vampire Not exactly what you are looking for but thought you might be interested if you already didn't know. Back somewhere in the 90s StanWinstonStudios produced a limited edition bronze of 500 of the running T rex based on one of the original maquettes, They were actual solid bronze not a paint application. They also did a Velociraptor in a 500 bronze edition.
In a copy of the Making of The Lost World published in 1997 you can see a maquette of the running T rex during a production meeting.
When I went to Universal Studios a couple times in the 90s and early 2000s they still had copies in the gift shop, I think the price was around $5,000.00 if I am not mistaken. I really wanted both but couldn't justify the expense. The first time I saw them they had both but they only had the Raptor the next time. The time after that they didn't have either so I guess they sold out.
So all this just to let you know it was SWS that came up with the original pose. I am still debating whether or not to make my unbuilt Horizon T rex in this pose or not.
Here is a promotion shot for the bronze.

Vampire

Yes! I remember reading the history of the source maquette for this design. Very fascinating story. Since that time, there have been a few modified Horizon models, the bronze models you mentioned, and possibly some recasts from various places. I have yet to find any images of those. I know Dino Dream makes a 1/16th scale maquette, at a hefty asking price of $3,000 USD, which far exceeds my comfort zone for most collectables.

I actually decided to go another route, which I will share with everyone once some progress is made. :) It's costing me a mere fraction of what Dino Dream was asking for, as beautiful as that model is. I just can't do it.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Vampire on May 27, 2021, 04:54:56 PM
Yes! I remember reading the history of the source maquette for this design. Very fascinating story. Since that time, there have been a few modified Horizon models, the bronze models you mentioned, and possibly some recasts from various places. I have yet to find any images of those. I know Dino Dream makes a 1/16th scale maquette, at a hefty asking price of $3,000 USD, which far exceeds my comfort zone for most collectables.

I actually decided to go another route, which I will share with everyone once some progress is made. :) It's costing me a mere fraction of what Dino Dream was asking for, as beautiful as that model is. I just can't do it.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. I think I have now convinced myself to modify my Horizon model now, thanks to you :D.

Vampire

Absolutely! Please make sure to share your progress!

As for what I'm doing, I have a friend who I'm already working with on several other projects who, along with some of his friends, I've hired them model the "TLW:JP" male T. rex, pose and 3D print it out for me in 1/8th scale. Several hundred dollars for the project, but a much more comfortable price than my current only other option.

I also can get any sized prints I want, which is another bonus! Maybe ill have an additional 1/35 printed to go with my future Nanmu pieces (are they scaled correctly?).

Once I have something to show I'll post it here.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Vampire on May 27, 2021, 06:18:42 PM
Absolutely! Please make sure to share your progress!

As for what I'm doing, I have a friend who I'm already working with on several other projects who, along with some of his friends, I've hired them model the "TLW:JP" male T. rex, pose and 3D print it out for me in 1/8th scale. Several hundred dollars for the project, but a much more comfortable price than my current only other option.

I also can get any sized prints I want, which is another bonus! Maybe ill have an additional 1/35 printed to go with my future Nanmu pieces (are they scaled correctly?).

Once I have something to show I'll post it here.

I think we will see yours before mine, I am finally getting around to tackling a closet full of model kits since Covid-19 has put the brakes on any paying jobs. I have all the Horizon JP models, all the original Aurora Monsters I had and got rid of in the sixties, some car models and even a model of the Titanic. Right now I am finishing off a 1/25 scale model of my 1979 Corvette. I think I will hit the Aurora models next and then the JP models.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.