News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Which T.Rex statue would you prefer?

Started by bone crusher, August 22, 2021, 04:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bone crusher

So recently I've came across these two extremely beautiful looking T.Rex resin statues in the 1/18-1/20 scale and both are going for the scientifically accurate design. I am so torn between them, both are priced very similarly, so in terms of sculpt, paint app, design and accuracy, which one would you say is better or prefer?
The 1/18 scale Tyrannosaurus. Rex "Scotty" model of SHOWANNA STUDIO

Mr.Fossil studio Emperor's plunder" (Tyrannosaurus rex 1:20 scale)

ITdactyl

I'm drawn to the first one, just because the pose is more organic: "roaring" with the head thrown forward, eyes in a semi squint, arms flared to the side.

Lanthanotus

I'll probably never buy statues in such price ranges, but if I would, it would also be No 1. Aside from the pose it is absolutely the paint scheme for me. It looks more natural and authentic for a big predator imo and it transports some "menace" fitting for such an animal.
Happy decision :D

bone crusher

Quote from: ITdactyl on August 22, 2021, 05:01:33 AM
I'm drawn to the first one, just because the pose is more organic: "roaring" with the head thrown forward, eyes in a semi squint, arms flared to the side.
It's definitely a cool pose, tho I do like them both :).
Quote from: Lanthanotus on August 22, 2021, 07:34:20 AM
I'll probably never buy statues in such price ranges, but if I would, it would also be No 1. Aside from the pose it is absolutely the paint scheme for me. It looks more natural and authentic for a big predator imo and it transports some "menace" fitting for such an animal.
Happy decision :D
Also need to add, the first one is 56.5cm in straight length while the blue one is 66cm, yet the first one is 1/18 scale compared to the 1/20 for the blue one. Very strange choice of scale I say. Scotty Rex should be more than 12m right, so the 56.5cm length only mounts to 10m which is far smaller.

Bread

In my opinion, I do prefer the 1/18th scale Scotty statue. It reminds me of David Krentz Regina, which in my opinion is the best scientifically accurate Tyrannosaurus statue to hit the market. Although I will say both statues are beautiful, so I understand the hard decision.

bone crusher

There's just something about the new design of the T.Rex that appeals to me so much that makes me want to own them all, maybe it's the extra chub, more animal looking and less movie monster like.

SRF

The first one appeals to me the most as well.
But today, I'm just being father

Fenestra

If someone would ask me to pick between these two, I would say:

Biggest turn off first T-Rex: it doesn't have the colors of the second.  ^-^
Biggest turn off second T-Rex: that toe on the right foot is super weird. That would freak me out every time I would look at it.
And it would be the first thing I would look at. And again. And again.

So first for me.

bone crusher

Thanks for everyone's input! Seems like everyone's preferring the first one and I can't blame ya, it does look more natural indeed. I was leaning towards it in the first place too, well, preordered it and paid in full :). Although I'll be looking into the blue one in due time as well, since it is based on Sue instead of Scotty, variety in specimens can't hurt can it?

Bread

Congratulations and I can't wait to see your in hand photos of Scotty!

bone crusher

Quote from: Bread on August 24, 2021, 06:04:52 PM
Congratulations and I can't wait to see your in hand photos of Scotty!
Thanks, hope the paint app would come close!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.