News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Storing your collection on the move?

Started by Stegotyranno420, October 04, 2021, 04:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

Hello everyone, I will be moving to a new home very soon, and I'm kind of nervous about the whole moving situation, especially with my collection and all of its unfinished sculptures. Is there anyway I could store it in a convenient, cheap and fast way?

BlueKrono

I'm curious what others have to say. In my moves I've transported things in the original boxes, but the ones that I don't have boxes for any more travel on my lap, like the big expensive Sideshow pieces. It's very time (and gas) consuming.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Lynx

I tend to place my more delicate figures between layers of blankets in large tub ware containers, and also add an extra layer of bubblewrap just in case things get bumpy.
As for stuff like Safari LTD and Papo stuff, which can take more wear and tear, I put them on top of a blanket or in bubble wrap and call it a day.
One thing you want to make sure of is that the car is cold. Heat can warp figures, so I recommend keeping the car at a temperature bellow 70F.
The last thing I recommend is to always use plastic containers. Cardboard and paper bags can easily be torn if your figures have sharp bits, and are not water proof.
An oversized house cat.

Bread

Really depends on the figure or models you are transporting. I agree with avatar_Lynx @Lynx about Papo, Safari, and CollectA models, even PNSO. A blanket would be good enough.

As someone who has moved a few times, I have tried different strategies when transporting a collection, although mine is a small one. In my collection (when I moved plural) it consisted of PNSO, Safari, and CollectA figures. Some PNSO figures had their original box, so they were put away like that, but others were just placed in shoe boxes wrapped with towels. Followed by Safari and CollectA models heavily grouped together wrapped in towels placed in a box. No scuffs, scratches, or chips in paint. Again, a nice soft blanket or towel could transport these figures. In other instances, I've tried paper and ziplock bags wrapped around each figure when placed in a box, but those seem to move around to much. No scuffs or any wear but just worried me a little during transport.

If you have rather expensive or delicate models, I'd wait for someone else to comment on how to properly store and transport them.

Newt

These are uncured polymer clay, right? There really isn't a great way to transport that. As I see it, you have two options: bake them and treat them like any PVC figure (preferred), or wrap them in individual plastic bags so they don't stick together, pack something soft (towels, bubblewrap, etc.) between them, and hope for the best. If you move them without baking them, you will have some damage. You just have to accept this and plan to spend some time fixing them after you get settled.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.