News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Australopithecine Facial Features

Started by Papi-Anon, October 10, 2021, 04:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papi-Anon

I would normally put this in my paleo-art thread but this is more of an advice-request.

I recently bought a chimpanzee 3D mesh model and reworked the facial features to try and design an autralopithecine (preferably afarensis) figure for a future project. I know that the early hominins weren't simply chimps with flatter faces, but I wanted some advice on the facial structure I did for the pic below. Is it within the range of possible facial construction, or is it too 'Planet of the Apes'? Obviously hair-texture to the sculpt will come later.

Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

Justin_

I can't give an expert opinion but it definitely looks good. Much better than the BBC Walking With Beasts reconstruction.

Papi-Anon

Quote from: Smilodon P. on October 12, 2021, 05:43:32 PM
If you are in doubt whether or not to make further changes, I think this can help:

https://blog.frontiersin.org/2021/02/26/soft-tissue-reconstruction-human-evolution-early-hominins-art-science-collaboration-quantitative-methods-ensure-accurate-visual-represetations/

https://www.livescience.com/lucy-taung-child-facial-reconstructions.html

(Do you plan to make an action figure to 3d print?)

Thanks! Comparing my attempt with the AI generated ones kind makes mine look more PotA-esque as I feared. Gonna have to rework the mouth area.

As for the Australopithecus-related project, it's a big 'IF' right now. All I will say at this moment is that the idea is something I've been mulling over ever since Beasts of the Mesozoic was announced. Primary focus is still finishing up Postosuchus and releasing Mesonyx.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.