News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Support for figures that won't stand up

Started by tyrantqueen, November 16, 2012, 05:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

I've seen people with figures that have small plastic rods that hold the figure in place, sorta like this...

I would like to know how to make these, since I am customising a model kit and I want it to have some support. What should I use?

Thanks  8)

Jetoar

I like wood support in figures. They have another class with these supports  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

SBell

You should be able to get acrylic rods at hobby stores or hardware stores. That said, many of us are using left over rods from the CollectA sets--they always come with a sprue or two, but it is rare to need all of them

Gryphoceratops

Should this thread rather be in the actual toys section or perhaps customizing section? 

tyrantqueen

Quote from: SBell on November 16, 2012, 01:25:19 PM
You should be able to get acrylic rods at hobby stores or hardware stores. That said, many of us are using left over rods from the CollectA sets--they always come with a sprue or two, but it is rare to need all of them
Thanks, that is helpful.

QuoteShould this thread rather be in the actual toys section or perhaps customizing section? 
Well, I intended to sculpt my own dinosaurs, that is why I put it in the "art" section...but if the mods feel a move is necessary then so be it.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 16, 2012, 05:29:49 AM
I've seen people with figures that have small plastic rods that hold the figure in place, sorta like this...

I would like to know how to make these, since I am customising a model kit and I want it to have some support. What should I use?

Thanks  8)
All of that aside, the figure pictured at least, has a wooden base, that has been drilled to accept the rod. The rod is threaded into that hole and is a thick heavy duty steel rod painted black rather than plastic. There is another threaded hole in the dinosaurs chest and the dinosaur is threaded onto the rod.The dinosaur itself is life sized and the rod supports its entire weight.Myself , I would have preferred the dinosaur were not drilled and the rod going inside it like it does.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 16, 2012, 07:15:51 PM

Thanks  8)
All of that aside, the figure pictured at least, has a wooden base, that has been drilled to accept the rod. The rod is threaded into that hole and is a thick heavy duty steel rod painted black rather than plastic. There is another threaded hole in the dinosaurs chest and the dinosaur is threaded onto the rod.The dinosaur itself is life sized and the rod supports its entire weight.Myself , I would have preferred the dinosaur were not drilled and the rod going inside it like it does.
So...what would you have preferred instead? The feet attached to a base?

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 16, 2012, 08:51:18 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 16, 2012, 07:15:51 PM

Thanks  8)
So...what would you have preferred instead? The feet attached to a base?

It is possible to create a 'cradle' using plastic/acrylic/metal/whatever that would be drilled into the base, but allows the figure to rest against it, however, this is uncommon (the only one off the top of my head is a Bandai Quetzalcoatlus figure) and the cradle is not easy to disguise:

amargasaurus cazaui

Well not to state the rather obvious but if you own the figure and look at it..to me it seems very obvious there is an area above where the legs attach that is a natural fold or dip that would have been suited perfectly for placing a U shaped clear plastic support , quite well hidden for the most part for one, but secondly I will assume you do not own this dinosaur , so you do not quite get the issue with it. When you drill that type of plastic and then thread METAL into it, the threads are first quite easy to compromise, just removing the rod. Second, the rod and dinosaur are not clearly marked at what point will make the dinosaur remain stationary and at what point is just a half a turn too far and the plastic breaks allowing shards to fall apart from the area around the hole, thus damaging your dinosaur beyond all hope. That is why I said what I did..both the Scipionyx and the Compie from this set suffer from this mounting issue and are rather easy to damage as I described. So yes, if asked, prefer the feet touching the base, or it flying , or it perhaps suspended magically in mid air over this particular method of mounting, thanks
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.