News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Dilophosaurus gets an amputation

Started by tyrantqueen, December 02, 2012, 10:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

I own the Wild Safari Dilophosaurus, but I was always bothered by the "zombie hand" position of one of the forearms of this figure. Though, to be honest, I always felt that something was incorrect about this figure's proportions, it feels too small and Jurassic Park sized :X Maybe the body should be longer?

OK, it's time to operate! I heated the figure with a hairdryer, and sliced off the forearm at the wrist with a scalpel. Yikes, this was done without anaesthesia :o

Then repositioned, and glued it back on with cyanoacrylate glue

I used some filler to smooth it out a bit and make it look more natural.

Now I just need to wait until the filler dries, and I'll paint over it (although I am considering giving it a completely new paintjob altogether :-[)
I do get a sense of satisfaction now, seeing the broken wrist corrected :) It was really bothering me before.

darylj

that looks much better!
look forward to seeing what you do with it with regards to painting :)

Jetoar

I think the same, You have done a nice work  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

pylraster

A bit of warning regarding CA glue... it's kind of brittle in the long run. A pin inside the hands might add reinforcement, but CA glue doesn't really adhere to the material made for most dinosaur toys.

tyrantqueen

Thanks guys :)

QuoteA bit of warning regarding CA glue... it's kind of brittle in the long run. A pin inside the hands might add reinforcement, but CA glue doesn't really adhere to the material made for most dinosaur toys.
I haven't had a problem with this glue I'm using (I managed to accidentally knock it off my desk and onto the floor, the join was still fine). I don't "play" with my toys, they will be sitting on a shelf.
However, I have plenty of other glues in my toolbox, including 2 part epoxy, tamiya plastic cement, and even Elmer's glue 8)

Blade-of-the-Moon

For future note, you can just heat the hand/wrist area with the hair dryer and turn the hand to the correct position, then letting cool while holding it or running it under cold water will make it stay in position . No cutting or gluing required. :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.