You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Extreme budget Kaiyodo display! (now with clear plastic displays)

Started by Seijun, November 11, 2012, 03:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seijun

The glass votives we use at work come to us packed in little cardboard boxes that are normally thrown away later. With a little modification they make cheap (free), sturdy, and lightweight wall displays.

My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Ikessauro

Great idea Seijun. A good way to store dinos and save money at the same time, using space that otherwise would be of no use to toy collections (the wall I mean). I had to buy a display, rather expensive to put my little models. Seeing your idea makes me wonder if I can find similar ways to improvise shelves around here. :)

Gwangi

Jetoar

Yes it is a great idea for kaiyodo figures or other small figures. Well done Seijun  ^-^!
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Fukuiraptor

Well organized and displayed very nicely.  My only worry is that they will become dusty.

Roselaar

Very clever and cost-effective solution! I hope I can arrange a similar display some time.

CityRaptor

Reminds me of my own solution. Expect mine is wooden. I'll post some pics, but won't be able to do it till Wednesday.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Seijun

Quote from: Fukuiraptor on November 11, 2012, 10:37:31 AM
Well organized and displayed very nicely.  My only worry is that they will become dusty.

Yeah, they will get dusty eventually, but at least they are easy to clean :)
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

SBell

Quote from: Seijun on November 11, 2012, 09:21:23 PM
Quote from: Fukuiraptor on November 11, 2012, 10:37:31 AM

Yeah, they will get dusty eventually, but at least they are easy to clean :)

Plastic wrap!

Gryphoceratops

Wow nice!  How do you attach them to the wall?

Seijun

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on November 11, 2012, 10:39:57 PM
Wow nice!  How do you attach them to the wall?

I just nailed them in. They are so lightweight, it really only takes one small nail through the back.

And yes, I have considered plastic wrap, or any clear plastic (to use as a door).

Here is another idea I just ran into. Not as cheap as free cardboard, but it would probably work if you are looking for something with a door and that looks a little more professional:
http://www.tedpella.com/storage-boxes-bags_html/styrene-boxes.htm#139-206
Unfortunately it looks like the deepest one they have is only 2-1/8", and the space between shelves about 2" (item 139-806) but I *think* that would hold most kaiyodos.

Here are more from a different company: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23336&catid=802

Seijun

I ordered a plastic case from Ted Pella (item 139-806) and another from USP Plastics (item 55322). They appear to be identical in every way. Most of my kaiyodos fit inside and they look very lovely. I will order a few more and use the cardboard cases for other items.

Ikessauro

Quote from: Seijun on November 20, 2012, 06:41:46 AM
I ordered a plastic case from Ted Pella (item 139-806) and another from USP Plastics (item 55322). They appear to be identical in every way. Most of my kaiyodos fit inside and they look very lovely. I will order a few more and use the cardboard cases for other items.

How much do these cost?

Seijun

It was $16.45 each from Ted Pella, not including shipping, and $12.17 each from USP, not including shipping.

Buying from either place you should leave a comment on your order to make sure the lid on the case opens and closes smoothly, and if possible to not have any noticeable scratches on the lid. My case from Ted Pella has a scuff on the lid and the hinges wanted to jam (opening and closing the lid about 50 times fixed it though). When I ordered from USP I mentioned the problems I experienced with the case from Ted Pella, and my case from USP arrived without any major flaws. Keep in mind these are very cheap, so they will not always be perfect. Both cases had small scratches and scuff marks across the back but they can't be seen once the cases are on the wall.

The case is meant to be a sorting box so some modifications were needed to make it a display case. First the lid is hard to open because of the "latches" on it (two raised bumps on the lid that snap over two other bumps on the main part of the case). The raised bumps on the lid need to be dremelled off so the lid can be opened with almost no force. Otherwise you will knock over all the dino figures inside when you try to open it later!

Second, there is no mechanism for hanging the case on the wall. However there are four small circles on the back of the case, one at each corner. I drilled out the center of two of the circles, making the holes only a little smaller than the head of a nail, and then I mounted the case by pushing a nail through the holes and into the wall. These cases are very lightweight and are held up easily this way.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.