You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

How To.......Spinosaurus and Yangchuanosaurus upgrades.

Started by MesozoicJohn, December 19, 2021, 08:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MesozoicJohn

My latest PNSO models arrived earlier this week, a 'Juvenile'  Spinosaurus (Juvenile in my collection because I am doing 1/35th) and a Yangchuanosaurus/Chungkingosaurus based set.

All the models are awesome, great detail and an amazing paint job however the jaw on the Spino and on the Yang needed to be filled to match the rest of my collection. The area around the lower skull on the Yangchuanosaurus also needed a bit of attention, joint lines were clearly visible.

First job was to mix and apply the Milliput, I used the White 'fine' grade one. Once applied and smoothed out I then scratched in the lines, with a modeling knife, to make the scales and folds in the skin. They were then put aside to dry/set over night.
Next morning, using very fine wet and dry paper I took off any raised edges from the scales and made sure the work all flowed into the existing detailing.

A coat of quick drying grey under coat showed any imperfections which would be filled and left to set, this time I was lucky enough to have got it right first time so I could mix the base coat of paint for each model.

Once dried it was a case of adding other colours and shades to stop the areas looking uniform and unrealistic, in all with drying time they took me all day Saturday but I had plenty of other things to do while each coat of paint, wash of colour, dry brushing dried because my wife wanted new shelfs putting up for her fossils.   ::)

Photo's to show stages are below.

John :)

MesozoicJohn

First job is to mix and apply the Milliput. Don't forget to do any gaps inside the mouth too.

MesozoicJohn

Lines are then made to represent scales and skin folds.

MesozoicJohn

Once set (over night) any raised parts are smoothed a little using wet and dry paper, fine grade. Remember the paint will fill the lines so do not over smooth the milliput!

Under coat in light grey, this will show any areas that are to high, to low or you have not filled properly.

Once you are fully satisfied with your filling work select your paint ready to start the mix and match.

MesozoicJohn

First apply a base coat in a shade close to the original on the model, allow to dry then start adding other colours, shades, high lights and dry brushing until you are happy with how it all looks.
It is very important to break up the colours so it looks realistic and matches the origional.

Shonisaurus

Thank you for your graphic and literary explanation of how the jaw seams are hidden. You are an artist like many DTF members. Thanks for sharing your experience. It has been great on you.

SidB

Great work, avatar_MesozoicJohn @MesozoicJohn , but HOW did you do such accurate and delicate reproduction of that scalation? It's terrific.

MesozoicJohn

Quote from: SidB on December 20, 2021, 01:20:42 PM
Great work, avatar_MesozoicJohn @MesozoicJohn , but HOW did you do such accurate and delicate reproduction of that scalation? It's terrific.

Thank you SidB. It is very easy to do, just vertical and horizontal lines to form various sized squares then it is just a case of teasing the milliput up a little to round the edges and make them appear less uniformed.

MesozoicJohn

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 20, 2021, 09:37:39 AM
Thank you for your graphic and literary explanation of how the jaw seams are hidden. You are an artist like many DTF members. Thanks for sharing your experience. It has been great on you.

Thank you for your kind words.