You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What's wrong with the Schleich Saichania?

Started by tyrantqueen, November 10, 2012, 01:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

I owned the Schleich Saichania for a short time, and I admit I liked the details on the figure.
The general opinion of this figure seems to be a poor one.

I know nothing about ankylosaur anatomy, so I didn't notice any obvious errors. The tail is held straight, unlike the Papo "Ankylosaurus". Shouldn't that make this superior to the Papo?

And the pose is pretty boring, I agree, but that is standard fare for ankylosaur kin.

Maybe it doesn't work as a Saichania, but is it ok as a generic ankylosaur?

Opinions please.
Thanks  8)

Takama

I have the World of History Version, and i think it makes a decent Saichania

However, the Tail is too short and theres supposed to be armour on its front legs.

ZoPteryx

It's one of Schleich's better figures.  To be a Saichania, the head should be smaller, the tail longer, the body should be lower slung and less arched, the hind feet are wrong, and the armor is only somewhat like what the real animal had.  However, with that said, it does make a fair generalized ankylosaur.

tanystropheus

I absolutely adored the Schleich Saichania (I need to pick up the 2012 interpretation for a jr. companion).  I'm glad that you've brought this particular issue to our attention. IMO, the Schleich Saichania is one of the most underrated, overlooked prehistoric figures available.

I was actually surprised by the way that it was downright dismissed by the majority of DTF. Some members even tried to bizarrely suggest that Schleich's much older, relatively cartoon-like Saichania was the superior model (yeah, because the posture was supposedly 20% more dynamic and the overall demeanor less bark-like or something to that effect----I'm not sure if heavily armored beasts are supposed to have an innate tendency to contort upon themselves)

I agree with Zopteryx that the Saichania  does make for a good generalized ankylosaur.

I think most members would have been visibly more pleased if the the Saichania donned a red-white-blue tribal face mask (along the lines of CollectA's Deinocheirus, Diplo, Para, etc.) coupled with a more dynamic, twerking, pose...and feathers.

Himmapaan

Ahem, I would advise greater care with such generalised remarks, Mr. Tanystropheus. They almost savour of a particular kind of internet activity...  :P ;D

DinoToyForum

Himmapaan

DinoToyForum

Don't make me banish you to a funny gifs thread  :P

brontodocus

;D Well, I wonder if it's a hindrance for - what's that word? Sheik Yertailclub? - when you suffer from polydactyly? ;D

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

docronnie

I have plans of buying the World of History one, probably next week.  I hope I'm not making a mistake.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Jetoar

From my point of view it is a beatiful figure  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

tyrantqueen

Quote from: docronnie on November 11, 2012, 08:18:53 AM
I have plans of buying the World of History one, probably next week.  I hope I'm not making a mistake.
Well if you like the figure, I'd say go for it :) You don't have to please anyone else, just yourself.
I don't always collect only the scientifically accurate toys, in my opinion that is a very limited and superficial way of collecting. I like well sculpted figures too.

Thanks to everyone else who shared their opinions of this figure. For me, the detail of this toy is another indication of the potential of Schleich that they have sadly never realised :(

Horridus

Quote from: brontodocus on November 11, 2012, 12:48:08 AM
;D Well, I wonder if it's a hindrance for - what's that word? Sheik Yertailclub? - when you suffer from polydactyly? ;D
I always found that reeaally weeeeird.

Still, it's not bad, especially as far as Schleichs go. Like the brachiosaur, it has its flaws but is probably still worth your time (I own the brachiosaur, although not the Saichania).
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.