News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Busy day putting up shelves for my Dinosaurs.

Started by MesozoicJohn, December 19, 2021, 05:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MesozoicJohn

Quote from: Newt on December 25, 2021, 12:07:17 PM
I also wanted to express my appreciation of your Celtic arms and accessories. I have an anthropomorphic-hilted Gaulish sword tucked away somewhere...

I have Celtic, Roman, Saxon and Viking coins, brooches and artifacts I found when metal detecting years ago.

John :)

Newt

Quote from: MesozoicJohn on December 25, 2021, 05:23:24 PM
Quote from: Newt on December 25, 2021, 12:07:17 PM
I also wanted to express my appreciation of your Celtic arms and accessories. I have an anthropomorphic-hilted Gaulish sword tucked away somewhere...

I have Celtic, Roman, Saxon and Viking coins, brooches and artifacts I found when metal detecting years ago.

Cool! You're unlikely to find any metal artifacts older than the late 18th century where I live (local pre-Columbian cultures did make gold and copper artifacts, but I've never heard of one being found outside a burial mound).

ceratopsian

I've only just caught up with this thread and what a joy it is!  The shelves are going to look amazing. Super bases you've made too. As for the little name plates - perfect finishing touch to your displays. I only wish I could muster half your skills!

MesozoicJohn

I have been busy working on the back drops for my shelfs this afternoon.

I have also cut out the shelf covers, these will not be fixed in place, I will need to remove them to hoover off dust with my car vacuum cleaner, it will not rip all of the flock off.
The small bottom shelf ( Pachyrhinosaurus and his mates) will have a sand cover rather than the green one. That will match in with their bases and the back drop.

I have small rocks and 'bush' type tufts to ad to the shelf covers, this will help break up the join between shelf and back drop.

SidB

MesozoicJohn

I spent a few more hours on the display yesterday. Putting the self adhesive back drops onto the wall is a two person job, backing paper needs to be peeled off while air bubbles are smoothed out, also it needs to be held still during the rather delicate operation of cutting around the screws that the shelf supports slot over. Sue is a care worker so I have to wait for her shift to end, feed and water her when she gets home, promise to suffer a chick flick, then coax her upstairs to the Dinosaur room, so I can grumble at her while she tolerates my fussing over getting the darn things straight. Boy oh boy do I know how to show a girl a good time  :)) :)) :))
To be fair she is just as keen as I am and we do enjoy the banter while trying to do a job, eg every thing that goes wrong (and it often does) is the other one's fault  ;D

The following posts (with photo's) show the progress and I have added comments on what is still to do, which is quite a lot, including two more 2 feet shelves to go into the corner.

MesozoicJohn

The display top is home to my 'Yet another version of Spinosaurus that is now thought to be wrong' model, one of his prototypes teeth which is correct according to the experts I know, Sue's fledgling fossil collection (I am not allowed to count her Mum, my mother in law in that collection due to the fact that she has a mean left hook) and Sue's "Cute baby Dinosaurs".

No real plans for this section other than to do some information cards for the fossils and expand Sue's collection.

MesozoicJohn

This is the top 2' shelf, at present home to a PNSO Allosaurs, PNSO Olorotitan and a PNSO Qianzhousaurus. Each model is separate from the other being on home made bases however the plan is to eventually display models from the same time period and area, so the displays are fluid at the moment.

I will be adding rocks, vegetation, tree trunk stubs and the like to help blend in the shelf cover with the back drop. I am also in the process of learning how to pronounce Olorotitan and Qianzhousaurus.

If the scene was age realistic then Olorotitan would be having the Dinosaur version of a VERY bad day!

MesozoicJohn

The 2' shelf below houses 3 horned type Dinosaurs, all by PNSO, Pachyrhinosaurus, Machairoceratops and Spinops.

The shelf cover will be changed to a more desert type and rocks etc added to blend it in with the back drop. I reckon these 3 guys will be staying on this shelf.

MesozoicJohn

At the very top of the display 'case' are a pair of Papo Quetzalcoatlus, looking down on the rest of the collection from their vantage point a top of a rocky out crop (although, once or twice, they have decided to join the rest of the collection by trying to but failing to fly) I have had to glue the rocks in place so that the pair stay in place.
This part of the display is finished.

asus shift key not working

MesozoicJohn

The middle of the display 'case' houses a pair of Rebor Dilophosaurus models. These are my favorite models now having edged out my PNSO Triceratops. I did my usual fix and fill jaws, arms and in their case tails before putting them on display.
I will be adding a few tufts to help disguise the joins between the floor, back and sides of the display.

John:)

MesozoicJohn

MesozoicJohn

On the top 4' shelf I have 5 PNSO figures, Giganotosaurus, Triceratops, Chungkingosaurus, Yangchuanosaurus and Amargasaurus. I have gone with a misty tree lined hill top with a mountain in the back ground.
I am planning to use fine cotton wool, teased out and placed between the models and the back stop in an attempt to bring the mist out of the back ground. Not sure how it will work out but I do have a plan B and C.

MesozoicJohn

The bottom 4' shelf is currently occupied by 4 more PNSO models, Sinoceratops, Stegosaurus, Tyrannosaurus Rex and Parasaurophus.

This back drop gives a tree type back ground to the models, again other trees, rocks and tufts.

Duck

Hi avatar_MesozoicJohn @MesozoicJohn  you might want to consider restarting this thread and putting it in the designated "Collections" area.

;)
Duck
He who dwells in pond

MesozoicJohn

Quote from: Duck on December 30, 2021, 01:51:28 AM
Hi avatar_MesozoicJohn @MesozoicJohn  you might want to consider restarting this thread and putting it in the designated "Collections" area.

;)
Duck

Thanks Duck, great idea.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.