News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

CollectA 2023 hopes and dreams

Started by Sim, December 29, 2021, 11:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

I've finally purchased my first CollectA figures, the Borealopelta and 2018 Iguanodon, they look excellent.  I have to admit CollectA's 2022 lineup doesn't appeal to me and I hope their figures for 2023 will include some species that I'll want to have.  With that said, here's what I'd like from CollectA for 2023!:

1. I feel CollectA's strengths are invertebrates (which I'm not interested in, so I won't wish for any here) and non-ceratopsian ornithischians.  So, I'd like more non-ceratopsian ornithischians from CollectA!  Because of how well CollectA's 2018 Iguanodon and Mantellisaurus came out I'd like a new Mantellisaurus that's either standing or walking.  I don't like unusual poses so that's why I'm not getting CollectA's current Mantellisaurus.  A new Mantellisaurus could work well with the current one and CollectA's Iguanodon in dioramas.  Alternatively, I'd be happy to see a Dollodon from CollectA if they consider it valid (it's sometimes seen as a synonym of Mantellisaurus).

2. The other branch of ornithischians I'd like to see more of from CollectA is thyreophorans.  Firstly I'd be interested in a repaint of their Gigantspinosaurus.  I like the model, but I don't like the red tips of its shoulder spikes or how only some of its osteoderms are painted.  For new figures, I think CollectA could make spectacular models of the following: a new Scelidosaurus (I'd like to see it bipedal with the tips of its fingers touching the ground for balance), Tuojiangosaurus, Gobisaurus, and a new Kentrosaurus.

3. Deinonychosaurs.  This group was diverse, found in all sorts of environments and existed from the Jurassic all the way to the end of the Cretaceous.  They are a very popular group, and one I like very much.  However CollectA only has three species from this group, all of which are inaccurately represented: Velociraptor, Utahraptor and Microraptor.  There are few good models representing this group and I'd love to see CollectA make more figures of these animals showing how they can improve.  I would suggest making their feathers smoother than the CollectA Microraptor's and birdlike and giving enough muscle to the hindlimbs.  I don't want figures permanently attached to bases or figures with too-big feet, so I would prefer to see figures of these animals balance using the tip of their wing or tail feathers.  Species I'd like from CollectA are ones that lack a good model: Austroraptor, Saurornithoides, Linheraptor, Buitreraptor, Sinornithosaurus, Utahraptor, Sinornithoides.  But I'd also like to see an updated Velociraptor from CollectA.

4. CollectA had been alternating between making short-tailed and long-tailed pterosaurs before making two Pteranodon in a row.  I'd love to see them make a long-tailed pterosaur again in the size of their 2022 Pteranodon: Rhamphorhynchus, Scaphognathus or Eudimorphodon would be what I'd like most, or even more than one pterosaur.

5. I'd also very much like a set of mini pterosaurs.  This would be an excellent way to give pterosaurs the representation they so much need.  I'd choose:
- Caviramus (I'd like this and all the other long-tailed pterosaurs to have vertical tail crests, the only evidence for them supports the crests being vertical)
- Eudimorphodon (This way the Caviramus isn't the only Triassic pterosaur)
- Dimorphodon (CollectA's Dimorphodon is very good but too big for me, I'd really like it to get made into a mini)
- Rhamphorhynchus (my favourite pterosaur needs a good figure very much!)
- Scaphognthus (scaphognathines have a very different head to rhamphorhynchines so it would be good to have both)
- Kunpengopterus antipollicatus
- An anurognathid
- Pterodaustro
- Dsungaripterus
- Caiuajara (the big CollectA version shrunk down, preferably with its mouth closed as I find it looks better that way)
- Istiodactylus
- Cearadactylus

Duck

I dislike CollectA but here are my wishes I guess.
Utahraptor that doesn't look stupid
Riparovenator and/or Ceratosuchops
Magnapaulia
Robust Dilophosaurus
Velafrons
He who dwells in pond

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Duck on December 30, 2021, 01:56:00 AM
Magnapaulia
Robust Dilophosaurus
Velafrons
Their 2021 Dilo is accurate
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

GojiraGuy1954

14 genera in total

Saurischians (4)

- Mononykus olecranus

- Ubirajara jubatus

- Plateosaurus trossingensis

- Brachytrachelopan mesai

Ornithoschians (4)

- Kentrosaurus aethiopicus

- Stegouros elengassen

- Tenontosaurus tilletti

- Heterodontosaurus tucki

Testudines (1)

- Archelon ischyros

Invertebrates (2)

- Arthropleura armata

- Diplomoceras maximum

Synapsida (2)

- Thylacosmilus atrox

- Anteosaurus magnificus

Duck

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on December 30, 2021, 09:16:57 PM
Magnapaulia
Robust Dilophosaurus
Velafrons
lol not really
He who dwells in pond

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Duck on December 30, 2021, 10:27:41 PM
Magnapaulia
Robust Dilophosaurus
Velafrons
lol not really
I mean if you compare it to this one or Engh's then you can see that all it really needs is maybe a LITTLE extra bulk and more keratin on the crests to make them thicker and more natural looking

GojiraGuy1954

The little spikes on the back are just stylisation and can be easily be removed if you you have any form of sculpting /painting prowess

Sim

Magnapaulia
Robust Dilophosaurus
Velafrons

It ought to have been since it was based on the newest reconstruction, but it isn't.  Its feet are too big, its middle toe should be longer, its teeth have a different arrangement to Dilophosaurus's teeth, and the crest should begin before the nostril.  And you're right that keratin would make the crests bigger than what we see on this figure.  Also, the double row of spines which merge into one looks bizarre to me.

Fembrogon

I wouldn't expect another Dilo from Collecta already; the 2021 figure is their up-to-date take, correct or not. We'd be better off hoping for a figure from someone who hasn't done the genus already (or at least not recently).

suspsy

Hallucigenia, Jaekelopterus, Prognathodon with hinged jaw, Megatherium, Arctotherium, and Purrussaurus with hinged jaw.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

GiganotosaurusFan

Make the Giga plz!!!
Such a long time...
Any Giganotosauruses are friends. Any other carnivores are...I think I'll run now.

Gwangi

CollectA's dinosaurs and extinct mammals don't excite me much, with a few exceptions. Where they excel, at least for me, is in Paleozoic and marine animals and that's all I really want from them. More fishes, more invertebrates, more Permian and Triassic critters. I would like to see them do a Livyatan but I got the PNSO one for Christmas so I'm not as eager for it. Offhand things I would like to see include Leedsichthys, Eusthenopteron, Ophiacodon, and anything from the Cambrian.

EDIT: I would also like to see a Purrussaurus but I feel like one from Safari would be better and I would rather see one from them. Doug excels at crocodilians.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on December 30, 2021, 11:00:52 PM
Magnapaulia
Robust Dilophosaurus
Velafrons

It ought to have been since it was based on the newest reconstruction, but it isn't.  Its feet are too big, its middle toe should be longer, its teeth have a different arrangement to Dilophosaurus's teeth, and the crest should begin before the nostril.  And you're right that keratin would make the crests bigger than what we see on this figure.  Also, the double row of spines which merge into one looks bizarre to me.
Those "inaccuracies" ate minute and either caused by sculpting limitations of people whining about bases

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: GiganotosaurusFan on December 31, 2021, 12:19:21 AM
Make the Giga plz!!!
Such a long time...
Just get the EoFauna. Nobody's gonna top that.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on December 31, 2021, 01:24:39 AM
Magnapaulia
Robust Dilophosaurus
Velafrons

Those "inaccuracies" ate minute and either caused by sculpting limitations of people whining about bases
Its a decent figure, and it does seem pretty skinny aswell as what avatar_Sim @Sim has stated. The thing that throws me off is the color scheme and paint quality.  I hate to be saying things like this, but it almost looks like an off-brand figurine, tho a good one at that. 

ZoPteryx

Let the games begin!

Tiktaalik:  C'mon, someone has to make the classic fish-o-pod!

Utahraptor:  Their Microraptor proves they can do winged theropods quite well (in terms of sculpting at least), now they just need to make a few.

Ouranosaurus:  CollectA has a gift for ornithopods, and this distinct taxon would be a fine choice.

Eurypterus:  The classic sea scorpion, a nice move away from cephalopods.

Deluxe Plateosaurus:  This well known sauropodomorph would be a great continuation of their Triassic fauna and could scale with Smok and Lisowicia.

Deluxe Yangchuanosaurus:  There's always a big theropod, this one's not too overdone.

Deluxe Megatherium:  They still don't have a giant sloth, and there's not many (any?) great ones on the market.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: ZoPteryx on December 31, 2021, 06:02:40 AM
Let the games begin!

Tiktaalik:  C'mon, someone has to make the classic fish-o-pod!

Utahraptor:  Their Microraptor proves they can do winged theropods quite well (in terms of sculpting at least), now they just need to make a few.

Ouranosaurus:  CollectA has a gift for ornithopods, and this distinct taxon would be a fine choice.

Eurypterus:  The classic sea scorpion, a nice move away from cephalopods.

Deluxe Plateosaurus:  This well known sauropodomorph would be a great continuation of their Triassic fauna and could scale with Smok and Lisowicia.

Deluxe Yangchuanosaurus:  There's always a big theropod, this one's not too overdone.

Deluxe Megatherium:  They still don't have a giant sloth, and there's not many (any?) great ones on the market.
I like those picks, but i hope the cephalopods are here to stay. There are so many unique varieties that they havent covered yet
I've also been asking for Megatherium ad infinitum at this point so i hope my exclusion of it this year means they will finally release one

Sim

Nah, it's obvious they aren't caused by sculpting limitations.  The foot size is no doubt CollectA's solution to people not wanting bases but I get the impression people don't want oversized feet even more, so I wonder what will happen.  Anyway, the point is the 2021 CollectA Dilophosaurus isn't accurate.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on December 31, 2021, 03:33:37 PM

Nah, it's obvious they aren't caused by sculpting limitations.

They definitely are. The teeth are a very small detail that would be incredibly hard to render in 100% scientific accuracy

Sim

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954, I realise I expressed myself incorrectly with regards to one detail - the teeth.  I wasn't referring to how they're joined together as that could be necessary due to the figure's size.  I meant the relative size of different teeth doesn't match Dilophosaurus.  CollectA managed to make one tooth on each side of the mouth the right length so I think they could have done that for some of the other teeth too.  I don't think any of the other inaccuracies are caused by sculpting limitations but if you still think they are I'm willing to hear your thoughts.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: