News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

CollectA 2023 hopes and dreams

Started by Sim, December 29, 2021, 11:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duck

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on December 31, 2021, 05:02:37 PM
Quote from: Sim on December 31, 2021, 03:33:37 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on December 31, 2021, 01:24:39 AM
Quote from: Sim on December 30, 2021, 11:00:52 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on December 30, 2021, 09:16:57 PM
Their 2021 Dilo is accurate

It ought to have been since it was based on the newest reconstruction, but it isn't.  Its feet are too big, its middle toe should be longer, its teeth have a different arrangement to Dilophosaurus's teeth, and the crest should begin before the nostril.  And you're right that keratin would make the crests bigger than what we see on this figure.  Also, the double row of spines which merge into one looks bizarre to me.
Those "inaccuracies" ate minute and either caused by sculpting limitations of people whining about bases

Nah, it's obvious they aren't caused by sculpting limitations.

They definitely are. The teeth are a very small detail that would be incredibly hard to render in 100% scientific accuracy
Even if they were caused by sculpting limitations, it would still make it inaccurate. I hope Safari redos their Dilophosaurus this year to replace CollectA's monster.
He who dwells in pond

Sim

I had a look at my PNSO Yutyrannus and noticed its individually sculpted teeth are even smaller than the teeth of the CollectA 2021 Dilophosaurus, and if I remember right the Safari 2017 Velociraptor also has individually sculpted teeth that are smaller than the ones of the CollectA figure.  So even that doesn't seem to be a sculpting limitation, perhaps it's to make the teeth more durable?  In any case I don't mind the teeth being joined together, although individually sculpted teeth look better, it's the relative size of the teeth that looks off.

I had Safari's 2020 Dilophosaurus but I let go of it later as it wasn't painted well and it had some other things I didn't like such as the nostrils being too far forward even considering Witmer's work.  I also don't think Safari will be releasing a new Dilophosaurus so soon after their last one, as avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon suggests.  Personally I'm hoping PNSO makes a Dilophosaurus, I think they could do a good one!

Duck

I just want a good dilophosaurus for my collection lol
He who dwells in pond

GiganotosaurusFan

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 I already have it, but I want more!:)(Me being greedy)
Any Giganotosauruses are friends. Any other carnivores are...I think I'll run now.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on December 31, 2021, 10:15:49 PM
I had a look at my PNSO Yutyrannus and noticed its individually sculpted teeth are even smaller than the teeth of the CollectA 2021 Dilophosaurus, and if I remember right the Safari 2017 Velociraptor also has individually sculpted teeth that are smaller than the ones of the CollectA figure.  So even that doesn't seem to be a sculpting limitation, perhaps it's to make the teeth more durable?  In any case I don't mind the teeth being joined together, although individually sculpted teeth look better, it's the relative size of the teeth that looks off.

I had Safari's 2020 Dilophosaurus but I let go of it later as it wasn't painted well and it had some other things I didn't like such as the nostrils being too far forward even considering Witmer's work.  I also don't think Safari will be releasing a new Dilophosaurus so soon after their last one, as avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon suggests.  Personally I'm hoping PNSO makes a Dilophosaurus, I think they could do a good one!
Not all sculptors are at the same skill level
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Sim

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 01, 2022, 01:00:41 AM
Not all sculptors are at the same skill level

Well, even CollectA's Carcharodontosaurus has individually sculpted teeth which appear to be the same size as the teeth of the CollectA Dilophosaruus, so the teeth of the Dilophosaurus being joined together might not be to be due to a limitation.

Quote from: ZoPteryx on December 31, 2021, 06:02:40 AM
Deluxe Plateosaurus:  This well known sauropodomorph would be a great continuation of their Triassic fauna and could scale with Smok and Lisowicia.

I would be happy if CollectA made a bipedal sauropodomorph if it didn't have oversized feet.  CollectA actually has the best Plateosaurus currently available so I would find it odd if they were the one to make a new one now.  I have a feeling Safari will release a new Plateosaurus for 2022, so perhaps it would be better if CollectA made a Riojasaurus or new Lufengosaurus instead.

Quote from: ZoPteryx on December 31, 2021, 06:02:40 AM
Deluxe Yangchuanosaurus:  There's always a big theropod, this one's not too overdone.

CollectA has made lots of allosauroids, it's actually unusual they didn't make one for 2022.  I'd like them to continue their allosauroid break longer, their allosauroids have mostly not been good in my opinion.  Additionally PNSO's museum series Yangchuanosaurus is excellent and I can't imagine CollectA making a better one.  I would prefer CollectA made a tyrannosauroid, the last time they made one was for 2018 with their Tyrannosaurus.

Shonisaurus

I would be interested in a megaloceros or a megatherium. Collecta is the most complete and beautiful line of prehistoric mammals on the market. They could make more prehistoric mammals, like the toxodon, diprotodon (now more pressing this demand after the disappearance of Soutland Replicas absorbed by Mojo) even a titanoboa. We need more than one Cenozoic prehistoric animal every year for at least two. That is my dream.

A Deluxe Supreme size ludodactylus would be interesting to accompany my Deluxe Supreme pteronodon.

I would also like a Deluxe size allosaurus although that could wait, a large tyrannosauroid like gorgosaurus, alioramus albertosaurus or daspletosaurus would it be an interesting bet when it comes to tyrannosauroid theropods, also a ceratosaurus and a Deluxe size concavenator, and the giganotosaurus? every company has a large giganotosaurus, when is Collecta going to be released?

A kosmoceratops, medusaceratops, avaceratops, torosaurus, and pentaceratops would be interesting figures on Collecta's part.

What I also do not understand that there is no decent anchiceratops and arrhinoceratops in the current current dinosaur companies and the chasmosaurus? I understand that there should be more toy dinosaur companies making even more varied ceratopsids and that the total variety is not just concentrated on brands like Mattel's BoTM or JP / JW when it comes to ceratopsides.

SidB

Mostly on the off chance that someone from CollectA looks at this thread, I'll second avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus ' suggestion that it would be great for them to make a Megatherium (high time for a new one), and a Toxodon. I'd prefer a 1/20th, but wouldn't shun a 1/35th scale for both. Arctodus simus would be A1 too.

Theriz

Eh I've actually grown to like the line up.

Gwangi

CollectA already has an Orthoceras, perhaps you're thinking of Cameroceras?

Sim

Safari has made Scutosaurus, and Wild Past will be releasing one soon too.

Leyster

Deluxe Anteosaurus

Supreme scale Halszkaraptor

Yunnanosaurus

Coronosaurus

Protostega

Scipionyx

Dolichorhynchops (remake)

Messel toob

Bolca toob
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Grimbeard

A lot of those have already been stated, but I would still really like them:

- Tiktaalik/ Ichtyostega/Acanthostega
I like "transitional" life forms quite a lot and I would really love for some basal tetrapodomorphs that are not either crudly done nor 150$+ resin statues. The devonian lifeforms not named Dunkleosteus and carboniferrus life forms in general are greatly underrepresented, despite some really cool and weird looking candidates. Collecta has proven in the past they are particulary good with marine creatures, so I would love to see them do an "amphibian" or rather stem tetrapodomorphs/ Temnospondyls-

- Plateosaurus
I have stated this before, its kinda sad that a genus with such a large amount of fossil material avaiable and being so heavyly studied is this underrepresented in toy / model form. The best one right now is the collectas 11 year old one, I would love to have this one updated, maybe even in the deluxe size range.

- Megatherium
For being such a unique and bizarre looking clade of mammal, there are surpringly low amount of good looking ground sloth models and Megatherium in particular.

- Lystrosaurus
Collectas lisowicia is one of their greatest models and I would love to see do it smaller, older "cousin".

- Silesaurus/ any Silesaurid
As far as I know, there is currently no model from a major company of any Silesaurid. Since i like transitional forms, i would love a Silesaurus or any Silesaururid and a think Collecta could pull it off nicely.

Sim

Quote from: Sim on December 29, 2021, 11:02:47 PM
[...] With that said, here's what I'd like from CollectA for 2023!:
[...]
3. Deinonychosaurs.  This group was diverse, found in all sorts of environments and existed from the Jurassic all the way to the end of the Cretaceous.  They are a very popular group, and one I like very much.  However CollectA only has three species from this group, all of which are inaccurately represented: Velociraptor, Utahraptor and Microraptor.  There are few good models representing this group and I'd love to see CollectA make more figures of these animals showing how they can improve.  I would suggest making their feathers smoother than the CollectA Microraptor's and birdlike and giving enough muscle to the hindlimbs.  I don't want figures permanently attached to bases or figures with too-big feet, so I would prefer to see figures of these animals balance using the tip of their wing or tail feathers.  Species I'd like from CollectA are ones that lack a good model: Austroraptor, Saurornithoides, Linheraptor, Buitreraptor, Sinornithosaurus, Utahraptor, Sinornithoides.  But I'd also like to see an updated Velociraptor from CollectA.
[...]

One other deinonychosaur I'd like from CollectA is Dromaeosaurus.  The first dromaeosaurid discovered and I imagine a bite from it would hurt so much!  Or maybe it would kill its prey so quickly with its bites that they wouldn't have time to feel pain.  It deserves a figure and 2022 is actually 100 years after it was named!  It's disappointing that CollectA didn't make a Deinonychus on the 50th anniversary of it being named, but fortunately Safari gave it the treatment it deserved.  It would be nice if CollectA made a Dromaeosaurus on the 100th anniversary of it being named!

Sim

CollectA's Excalibosaurus is excellent and it makes me wish for CollectA to make a Cymbospondylus.  If they want to make a small figure of it I'd suggest making the 5.5m long Cymbospondylus buchseri.  If they want to make an impressive large figure I'd suggest making the 12.5m long Cymbospondylus petrinus.  No species of Cymbospondylus has ever been made into a figure.  I'll add that it's been over 100 years since Cymbospondylus petrinus was named, it's overdue for a figure.

Sim

One other thing I'd like from CollectA is a new prehistoric marine mini set.  I have to admit I don't like the selection of species of their current marine mini set, the only animals that would have appealed to me are the Temnodontosaurus and Pliosaurus which repeat mistakes of their larger counterparts.  Also it doesn't include a plesiosauroid but has 4 ammonites!

In a new marine mini set I'd like:

1. Plesiosaurus (CollectA hasn't made a mini plesiosauroid before, plus I've been wanting a nice little Plesiosaurus a lot!)
2. Tanystropheus longobardicus
3. Ichthyosaurus (Safari's mini Ichthyosaurus is terribly flattened side-to-side, I'm sure CollectA could make a better one)
4. Cricosaurus (this has never been made into a figure and CollectA hasn't made a metriorhynchid before.  Also it would go great with the Safari toob Suchodus and Dakosaurus which together would show three different snout morphologies among metriorhynchids)
5. Hupehsuchus (a hupehsuchian has never been made into a figure!)
6. Utatsusaurus (this has never been made into a figure)
7. Stethacanthus (inexplicably the Safari one doesn't include spines on the head and dorsal fin, I'd be interested in a CollectA version)
8. A small mosasaur species
9. Nothosaurus mirabilis (the Safari Nothosaurus is actually Paranothosaurus giganteus based on its proportions)
10. Askeptosaurus

11 and 12 are open for suggestions!  I've only picked animals that would be in a good scale as mini figures.

One other thing I'll add is I hope CollectA wouldn't put information on parts of the figure that are very visible like they did on their mini Utahraptor for example, where there's information on both sides of its tail, this can be seen at 10:17 and 10:40 in the video below.  Safari has managed to fit in information on the underside of their mini figures so I think CollectA should be able to do the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjeQwu3vAf4

Shonisaurus

In particular, I would be interested in a moschops for a reason there is not much on the market, I think that in the current one if there are any moschops it will be an isolated case and on the other hand in the vintage companies of before they made figures of that curious therapsid of the Permian. I don't understand why there isn't any company, including Collecta, that doesn't risk some of its money to make a figure of that animal or another of its kind. For me it was the comparatively or metaphorically Permian bear.

GojiraGuy1954

Reptilia (6)

Spoiler
- Velociraptor mongoliensis (Deluxe, 1:6 scale)

- Udanoceratops tschizhovi (Deluxe, 1:20 scale)

- Therizinosaurus cheloniformis (1:40 scale)

- Stegouros elengassen (1:35 scale)

- Hatzgeopteryx thambema (1:40 scale)

- Archelon ischyros (1:40 scale)
[close]

Synapsida (2)

Spoiler
- Megatherium americanum (1:40 scale)

- Anteosaurus magnificus (1:35 scale)
[close]

Invertebrates (2)

Spoiler
- Arthropleura armata (1:15 scale)

- Parapuzosia daubreei (1:20 scale)
[close]
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Renecito

Deluxe:

- Leedsichthys
- Suchomimus
- Bison priscus
- Tiktaalik with movable jaw
- Purussaurus
- Gigantoraptor
- Pterygotus
- Ouranosaurus
- Megalania
- Titanoboa
- Paleoparadoxia
- Koolasuchus
- Archelon

Supreme (I love those huge pterosaurs!):

- Moganopterus
- Rhamphorhynchus
- Pterodaustro
- Dendrorhynchoides
- Nyctosaurus
- Cycnorhamphus
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Halichoeres

My main hope is that either Matthias Geiger has lots of good ideas on his own, or someone picks up the mantle of Anthony Beeson to help inspire a good, varied selection of figures each year. Mainly I just hope they don't revert to the done-to-death rosters that other companies lean on so much.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: