News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRF

The colors on this Torosaurus are far superior to Doyles. This figure is really growing on me I must say.
But today, I'm just being father

Faras

Quote from: SRF on March 19, 2022, 06:30:27 AM
The colors on this Torosaurus are far superior to Doyles. This figure is really growing on me I must say.

Yeah I really like formidable frontal view of the head. Hope no details loss or botch paint on frill, then 10/10 it beats Doyle.

Hopefully no corona lockdown in my city (179 cases) in the next week, don't wanna wait...

SRF

Quote from: Faras on March 19, 2022, 06:54:31 AM
Quote from: SRF on March 19, 2022, 06:30:27 AM

Yeah I really like formidable frontal view of the head. Hope no details loss or botch paint on frill, then 10/10 it beats Doyle.

Hopefully no corona lockdown in my city (179 cases) in the next week, don't wanna wait...

The coloration of the frill really is outstanding. Also, the colors of the body remind me a lot of the colors of the Tarbosaurus in its promo images, which I really liked back then. Unfortunately, the colors on the final product lost quite a bit of depth with that one. Hopefully being a Museum Line release means that the Torosaurus' colors in the final product will stay closer to the promo images.

SidB

avatar_Faras @Faras , I am noticing that the three Taobao images that you posted really show the skull  and particularly the somewhat annoyingly long jawline to best advantage. The hindquarters perspective , as well as the other two, hide this apparent feature quite well. ANSP 15192 does seem the likely PNSO choice.

Shonisaurus

The sculpture of the PNSO torosaurus is phenomenal and the baby companion is very good, but honestly I don't like its articulated jaw at all, it makes the head and figure very ugly, honestly I like other figures of the same brand such as styracosaurus and centrosaurus. Honestly, I am not in favor of articulated jaws in any prehistoric animal, much less a ceratopsid. Honestly, the articulated jaws do not make it attractive, only the first version Doyle triceratops had attractive jaws.

Faras

S @SidB Those are the only new pics on Chinese pages so thought I'd post em here :) Yeah imo joints are the worst parts, so hiding them improve the look drastically. Articulated jaws tend look better on actual figures thanks to lighting and shadows, guess we'll have to wait and see.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 19, 2022, 12:32:36 PM
The sculpture of the PNSO torosaurus is phenomenal and the baby companion is very good, but honestly I don't like its articulated jaw at all, it makes the head and figure very ugly, honestly I like other figures of the same brand such as styracosaurus and centrosaurus. Honestly, I am not in favor of articulated jaws in any prehistoric animal, much less a ceratopsid. Honestly, the articulated jaws do not make it attractive, only the first version Doyle triceratops had attractive jaws.
While I have no problem with articulated jaws on CARNIVORES as they seem to be fairly easy to hide and look fine, the same can't be said for herbivores.  Especially in this case where we have evidence that Ceratopsians had cheeks.  These just look strange.

Back to patiently waiting for the PNSO Acrocanthosaurus.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I prefer all animals to have closed mouths anyway, so that doesn't bother the in terms slightest

I really like this Torosaurus, it's a nice figure. I have already listed the CollectA and WWD Torosaurus for sale.
I'm glad they've put some colours on teb frill, a plain frill looks wrong. Might as well have a peacock display tail being plain brown.

I was expecting it in the regular line, and it being in the museum line has changed my plans a little due to the limited space for the stored boxes from the museum line, so out of the PNSO museum line in the upcoming batch, the Tsintaosaurus will be the only one I buy, I'll pass on the Iguanodon as well as the Triceratops. Looks like I'll be buying another CollectA Iguanodon then, I might customise this one a little though.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Faras on March 19, 2022, 06:26:26 AM
Pics:

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on March 19, 2022, 03:41:59 AM
Outside of the movable jaw...why does the face look so long and disproportionate? Their very own images and cutaways show the length of the skull being mostly due to the huge frill, on this model the area from the base of the horns to the tip of the beak looks really elongated and stretched out.  Is that how torosaurus is supposed to look?

avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS Folks on Chinese forum speculated that the figure might be based on ANSP 15192:

Thanks for clarifying that Faras, so some Torosaurus had the elongated face.  The bronze statue at the Peobody Museum of Natural history at Yale University also has a long face, so it too must be based on ANSP 15192.  Here is a link to the images.

https://natchard.com/2013/09/25/torosaurus/

Mattyonyx

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on March 19, 2022, 03:14:04 PM
Quote from: Faras on March 19, 2022, 06:26:26 AM

avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS Folks on Chinese forum speculated that the figure might be based on ANSP 15192:

Thanks for clarifying that Faras, so some Torosaurus had the elongated face.  The bronze statue at the Peobody Museum of Natural history at Yale University also has a long face, so it too must be based on ANSP 15192.  Here is a link to the images.

https://natchard.com/2013/09/25/torosaurus/

Elongated face is a pretty common trait in Torosaurus, that's one of the reasons why some people think AMNH 5116 is a Torosaurus. And the statue is based on YPM 1830, the holotype for T. latus.

CARN0TAURUS

The frontal view in the middle frame is really cool.  That by itself makes me wonder if I might pick this one up because that's about the height I display my dinosaurs so I can see them head on when I walk past them on the shelf.  If it didn't have the opening mouth I think I might buy this.  On the Doyle 2.0 that was the single biggest reason I wasn't able to pull the trigger too :(

ceratopsian

avatar_Carnotaurus @Carnotaurus - I too had been thinking that a frontal view might well be the best way round the articulation issue.

bmathison1972

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: ceratopsian on March 19, 2022, 06:06:04 PM
avatar_Carnotaurus @Carnotaurus - I too had been thinking that a frontal view might well be the best way round the articulation issue.

That frontal shot really showcases the strengths of the figure, head up, looking alert like something might be coming after the baby.  I'm not saying I'm buying this, but between this one and the Doyle 2.0 it would be a really easy decision, I'd definitely consider buying this one while the Doyle is pretty much a no go for me.  This one has some of the same weaknesses as Doyle but it boasts a better pose and a beautifully painted frill.  I love the color combinations on the frill and the overall pattern design is just really really nice to look at too.  The rest of the paint doesn't live up to that frill but the frill might be enough to carry it as long as the production versions come close to that frill, it might be tempting.

One thing that really stands out to me is the scalework on the face in particular.  I thought that the scales were done incredibly well on Doyle's face but this one, this one really showcases the rising level of sophistication in PNSO sculptwork.  It's uncanny how much detail they are able to pack in how quickly they've gotten to this level in the last couple of years.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on March 19, 2022, 02:50:15 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 19, 2022, 12:32:36 PM
While I have no problem with articulated jaws on CARNIVORES as they seem to be fairly easy to hide and look fine, the same can't be said for herbivores.  Especially in this case where we have evidence that Ceratopsians had cheeks.  These just look strange.

Back to patiently waiting for the PNSO Acrocanthosaurus.

As good as the Zhuchengtyrannus was perhaps my expectations are too high now, I can't wait to buy/see it...

MLMjp

Super duper late, but...

God, that's an ugly mouth...which is why if I ever get this figure it would stay closed forever so it doesn't ruin how beautiful the rest of the Torosaurus is!

PNSO seems to be going strong with their ceratopsians, and I like it.

terrorchicken

its beautiful...
except for the ventriloquist dummy mouth

why is ventriloquist dummy mouth on anything so off-putting?
uncanny valley?

SRF

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking nice review on the Zhuchentyrannus. I see that you implemented some ideas that me and others have discussed here on the forum regarding the Zhuchengtyrannus as a stand-in for a male T. Rex or a T. Rex that isn't fully grown yet.  :)

https://youtu.be/sLgv-JoYahY

Seeing the figure in your video, I did wonder what is going on with the big tooth on the right side of the upper jaw. Somehow it seems to hang loose on your copy?

Psittacoraptor

SRF

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on March 22, 2022, 10:19:27 AM
First in-hand photos (in bad lighting) of the Torosaurus:

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7767890011

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7768064880

Its strongest point is the front of the frill. Its weakest point is the back of the frill.  :o

Some pictures from Paleofiguras on Facebook:

Still, for now this is the most exciting 2022 release from PNSO for me. Definitely like this one over the Triceratops.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: