News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoxels

Pardon my french, but wtf do these DTF threads turn into sometimes  ;D ::)
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Dinoguy2

The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

BlueKrono

Did plesiosaur necks have such an advanced degree of flexibility? Last I heard they were very stiff, certainly a far cry from the snake-necks of yore.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

TheCambrianCrusader

Oh boy I sure am late to the party...

I really don't understand the complaints, the only real flaw is the extra claw which easily could just be a paint mishap.
The posture while probably not neutral is totally within possibility and it pairs really nicely with the AMNH mount (which is one of my favorite mounts in the entire museum so I just end up loving the pose even more). And yeah carnegie sized sauropods are just sadly a thing of the past so I think we all need to move on from them and not expect absolute giants. I'm glad its as big as it is given the current industry environment.

Idk I think its good for people to have criticisms, but sometimes it just gets overly negative..

BlueKrono

Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on February 07, 2022, 02:01:57 AM
Oh boy I sure am late to the party...

I really don't understand the complaints, the only real flaw is the extra claw which easily could just be a paint mishap.
The posture while probably not neutral is totally within possibility and it pairs really nicely with the AMNH mount (which is one of my favorite mounts in the entire museum so I just end up loving the pose even more). And yeah carnegie sized sauropods are just sadly a thing of the past so I think we all need to move on from them and not expect absolute giants. I'm glad its as big as it is given the current industry environment.

Idk I think its good for people to have criticisms, but sometimes it just gets overly negative..

Does no one remember this behemoth from all the way back in... 2020? It's still possible.
http://dinotoyblog.com/2019/10/10/brachiosaurus-jurassic-world-legacy-collection-by-mattel/
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

suspsy

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 07, 2022, 02:18:58 AM
Does no one remember this behemoth from all the way back in... 2020? It's still possible.
http://dinotoyblog.com/2019/10/10/brachiosaurus-jurassic-world-legacy-collection-by-mattel/

Unfortunately, that's not a solid argument. Mattel is one of the biggest and most successful toy companies on the planet; their products include Barbie, American Girl, Hot Wheels, and Fisher-Price among others. The only toy company more successful than them is The LEGO Group. In other words, they have the money and the manufacturing capability to make dinosaur toys as big as the JW Apatosaurus and Brachiosaurus---which are NOT made of PVC like Safari or CollectA or Schleich figures.

Or to put it another way, Safari is a blue shark and Mattel is a blue whale. They are not remotely in the same league.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Carnoking

Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on February 07, 2022, 02:01:57 AMAnd yeah carnegie sized sauropods are just sadly a thing of the past so I think we all need to move on from them and not expect absolute giants.

I thought the Eofauna diplodocus was supposed to be comparable in size to the 2008 Carnegie offering?

BlueKrono

Quote from: suspsy on February 07, 2022, 02:31:49 AM

Unfortunately, that's not a solid argument. Mattel is one of the biggest and most successful toy companies on the planet; their products include Barbie, American Girl, Hot Wheels, and Fisher-Price among others. The only toy company more successful than them is The LEGO Group. In other words, they have the money and the manufacturing capability to make dinosaur toys as big as the JW Apatosaurus and Brachiosaurus---which are NOT made of PVC like Safari or CollectA or Schleich figures.

Or to put it another way, Safari is a blue shark and Mattel is a blue whale. They are not remotely in the same league.

I meant only in size, which is what the post seemed to be lamenting. A solid, 10 lb. hunk of PVC? Yeah, probably not likely to happen any more. But unless you need it to clobber robbers I see no less play value in a lighter, comparable-size dino put out by Mattel.

Flaffy

Quote from: Carnoking on February 07, 2022, 03:26:17 AM
Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on February 07, 2022, 02:01:57 AMAnd yeah carnegie sized sauropods are just sadly a thing of the past so I think we all need to move on from them and not expect absolute giants.

I thought the Eofauna diplodocus was supposed to be comparable in size to the 2008 Carnegie offering?

Indeed. The Eofauna Diplodocus is 60cm long, while the Carnegie is 55cm long. The extra 5 cm on the Eofauna is most likely due to its extended tail.

As for the Carnegie Brachiosaurus, I've said this before on this thread I think, it's essentially the same size as the Eofauna Atlasaurus. Maybe ever so slightly larger due to it's longer neck. Also attached is a comparison with the 2019 Camarasaurus, though smaller than the Carnegie Brachiosaurus, it's still a good size for a sauropod figure. More cost effective to produce for the manufacturer, easier on the wallet for customers, & perfect for space-strapped collectors. Hence why I believe the 2019 Camarasaurus is the golden standard for modern sauropod figures.

suspsy

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 07, 2022, 03:31:08 AM
Quote from: suspsy on February 07, 2022, 02:31:49 AM

I meant only in size, which is what the post seemed to be lamenting. A solid, 10 lb. hunk of PVC? Yeah, probably not likely to happen any more. But unless you need it to clobber robbers I see no less play value in a lighter, comparable-size dino put out by Mattel.

Even if it wasn't made out of PVC, I don't think Safari Ltd. has the capital or the capacity to make a toy that big, not in this difficult day and age. Shane was pretty clear on that earlier in the thread. I think we all need to accept that sauropod figures like the CollectA Mamenchisaurus and the Eofauna Atlasaurus and Diplodocus are the very biggest we're going to get from now on. And most will probably be smaller like the Patagotitan.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

Agreed. But as an alternative, several years ago I acquired one of Safari' hollow "Great Dinos" figures, the triceratops. For a very low cost item of about 1/30 scale, it is robustly made and surprisingly detailed, considering that no heroics were performed to mold much intricate detail into it. It wouldn't  take much effort to upgrade this into a superior hollow figure with little weight and considerable size. I wonder if Safari would consider going in this direction for their future theropods? This has the virtue of practicality in a time when old style giants with all of their hefty bulk are no longer possible, but would allow large, relatively inexpensive figures to be fabricated.

Bokisaurus

Unless people are willing pay huge price for page models, the days of large sauropod are long gone.
Soaring material prices, shipping, and taxes have all taken a toll and companies have to adjust in order to be viable.
People are already complaining about PNSO, image a large sauropod.
W-dragon girafititan and Nanmu apatosaurus price is what you would expect for figures that size!

Safari Patagotitan is a beautiful model that coast reasonably for its size.

Takama

If safari cant make a big patagotitan then why did they make a HUMONGUS Amargasaurus?   The Amarga should of been as big as the Carnegie.   

I said this back in 2017 and again in 2018 if they wanted to make bigger MORE DETAILED  models (as one safari rep told me) then should of opened a new line akin to the wilid life Wonders or Incredible Cretures collections.

KrazyKaprosuchus

Quote from: Bokisaurus on February 07, 2022, 05:15:23 AM
W-dragon girafititan and Nanmu apatosaurus price is what you would expect for figures that size!
Honestly, i'd be more than willing to pay for sauropods in 1/35 scale (or 1/40 or even 1/45 for that matter). The amount of room they take up on the other hand... well it certainly is hard to collect such amazingly large figures O:-)

Then again most people can't afford such luxurious costs OR the amount of room they would take up... so really my dream of having more than a few large-scale sauropods is rather distant.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on February 07, 2022, 05:44:54 AM
If safari cant make a big patagotitan then why did they make a HUMONGUS Amargasaurus?   The Amarga should of been as big as the Carnegie.   

I said this back in 2017 and again in 2018 if they wanted to make bigger MORE DETAILED  models (as one safari rep told me) then should of opened a new line akin to the wilid life Wonders or Incredible Cretures collections.

It's only "humongous" though compared to larger species produced in a smaller size by the same company.  It's not a failing. A company can produce a 3" brachiosaurus and a 12" Trex.  Don't be so obsessed with scale bud. It's not something we have to buy, it's just a toy or model remember. Also there isn't much reason to release one the same size as the Carnegie model when it was recently available.  My thinking is they had a plan to continue dinosaurs like the Carnegie Collection but not branded. For some reason, that fell through.

Quote from: SidB on February 07, 2022, 05:14:58 AM
Agreed. But as an alternative, several years ago I acquired one of Safari' hollow "Great Dinos" figures, the triceratops. For a very low cost item of about 1/30 scale, it is robustly made and surprisingly detailed, considering that no heroics were performed to mold much intricate detail into it. It would take much effort to upgrade this into a superior hollow figure with little weight and considerable size. I wonder if Safari would consider going in this direction for their future theropods? This has the virtue of practicality in a time when old style giants with all of their hefty bulk are no longer possible, but would allow large, relatively inexpensive figures to be fabricated.

I like the Great Dinos line, and I'm sure that might be a way to go. I know your going to get a few folks though that will say it's cheap, just because it doesn't weigh 5 lbs and is hollow.  Let them. Kids love the ones we sell here.   The only reason I can see against doing it, is if the line is an underperformer for Safari. In that case I'd like to know why to see it's something that can be changed.

John

So in addition to the new Patagotitan (which I'm happy to see),there will still be more new models coming up throughout the year including some under the Dino Dana brand? That opens up the possibility of even Tyrannosaurus or Triceratops turning up again.That is good news to me. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

SidB

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon , I have in mind the PNSO hollow, vinyl Sauropods too, as exemplars. They are somewhat more detailed than the "Great Dinos" line, though of course considerably more expensive, and might move more slowly. However, if there are no other big sauropods available around, except the super expensive W- Dragon and Nanmu, then there might be an intermediate niche for them, pricewise. It's hard to believe that the market for these very large creatures, as traditionally produced, will completely disappear, and hollow (but detailed) seems to be the way to go, IMO.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: John on February 07, 2022, 09:23:58 AM
So in addition to the new Patagotitan (which I'm happy to see),there will still be more new models coming up throughout the year including some under the Dino Dana brand? That opens up the possibility of even Tyrannosaurus or Triceratops turning up again.That is good news to me. :)

Yes, it has been confirmed that there are other figures coming from their prehistoric life line and the Dino Dana line.

Gwangi

Quote from: Takama on February 07, 2022, 05:44:54 AM

For the same reason that Safari's 2018 lineup had 13 toys and last year's had 3 avatar_Takama @Takama , it was a different economy. And they probably made a big Amargasaurus because a large toy of a spiky sauropod would sell well to children, as well as less scale conscious collectors. I would have loved that thing as a kid, scale be damned, I was never concerned with scale when I was playing with toy dinosaurs. I think some collectors forget about that OTHER, very significant demographic that Safari has to appeal to.

Anyway, I agree with Blade, don't be so obsessed with scale. Or if you are, buy the toys that are in the scale you like and ignore the others. It's a pretty straightforward concept.

Lynx

I don't understand why many of you are pressed about a couple of toes or scale, I think it is a wonderful figure for kids, and I'll be getting one myself  :D
An oversized house cat.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: