News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mathison Museum of Natural History - Prehistoric Edition

Started by bmathison1972, January 20, 2022, 03:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Thanks SidB

avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum - my images are linked from the ATB. The images show up for my on the ATF 'Museum' thread, but not here. Do you know what it could be?

Halichoeres

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 14, 2023, 11:32:43 AMMiscellaneous Notes: This species didn't have representation in toy/figure form until 2019 (which is not bad considering it's only five years after its description)

Well it is a tyrannosaur after all! Companies are pretty quick to jump on those. Although prior to this I guess Alioramus was relatively neglected, but hey, they'll probably be synonymized at the genus level one day anyway.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

stargatedalek

bmathison1972

I got an email from avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum and if I understand correctly, if I upload images on ATB I cannot post them on other forums (some new security protocol). Which means my posts will either have to be on ATF only or I'll need to find another way to host them. I won't be very active on the forums for the next few days anyway and won't be posting on ATF either, so I'll have to deal with this this weekend

postsaurischian

I have just checked this and I had no problem to share the same picture on DTF and on ATF as well.
 https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=152.msg343136#msg343136
 https://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=16.msg36885#msg36885
 .... or am I misunderstanding something?

bmathison1972

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 14, 2023, 11:13:24 PMI have just checked this and I had no problem to share the same picture on DTF and on ATF as well.
 https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=152.msg343136#msg343136
 https://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=16.msg36885#msg36885
 .... or am I misunderstanding something?

It's because I have the image hosted on the ATB (yours is Postimages). I haven't had time to look into this yet.

postsaurischian

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 15, 2023, 11:44:06 AMIt's because I have the image hosted on the ATB (yours is Postimages). I haven't had time to look into this yet.

I see. Sorry, sometimes my English's not good enough :-[ .

DinoToyForum

I'm trying to set a rule to exempt dinotoyblog site from the new security measures on animaltoyforum site and vice-versa. In the meantime, thanks for your patience.

bmathison1972

Quote from: DinoToyForum on June 15, 2023, 02:14:34 PMI'm trying to set a rule to exempt dinotoyblog site from the new security measures on animaltoyforum site and vice-versa. In the meantime, thanks for your patience.

thank you! I won't be posting anything new until Sunday (on either site), so not rush on my end :)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 16, 2023, 04:27:27 AM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on June 15, 2023, 02:14:34 PMI'm trying to set a rule to exempt dinotoyblog site from the new security measures on animaltoyforum site and vice-versa. In the meantime, thanks for your patience.

thank you! I won't be posting anything new until Sunday (on either site), so not rush on my end :)

OK, it should work now, but let me know if not.

bmathison1972

here is today's from the ATF as a test:

Species: Dermatophagoides spp.
Common name(s): house dust mite

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Wolff Marketing Group
Series: Zyrtec
Year of Production: unknown
Size/Scale: Base of globe 8.3 cm in diameter. Body length of mite approximately 3.0 cm for a scale of 150:1-100:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare
Miscellaneous Notes: This figure was sold as a medical novelty along with a cat and pollen, three common causes of allergies (Zyrtec is a drug prescribed to combat bad allergies). I still keep mine displayed complete; the inset below showing the individual mite was taken by forum member stemturtle who took his out of the globe. The blue base has some text, including the common name 'dust mite' and Zyrtec logo and scientific name of the drug (cetirizine HCl), as well its recommended dosage. I wish there was an easy way to remove and open the globe part; I would love to display it dry, but sitting atop the blue base.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Cosmopolitan
Habitat: Human habitations, especially warm, humid environments in carpets, upholstery, under furniture, pillows, and mattresses
Diet: Human and pet dander, fungi, organic detritus
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Not Evaluated
Miscellaneous Notes: Allergies to dust mites are triggered by compounds such as peptidase 1 in their feces and tropomyosin in their bodies. Tropomyosin is also the major allergen in shellfish allergy and it's been proposed that tropomyosin in dust mites might be a sensitizer for shellfish allergy.

bmathison1972

DinoToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 18, 2023, 12:52:08 PMavatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum - doesn't seem to be working

Does this image not show for you? It shows for me.

bmathison1972

I see no image in your post, avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum

let me clear my cache and history and see if that helps

ceratopsian

I don't see any image either, avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum.

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 18, 2023, 01:26:40 PMI see no image in your post, avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum

let me clear my cache and history and see if that helps

bmathison1972

I cleared my cache and browsing data and restarted the computer, and I still cannot see images

interestingly, tomorrow's post will be another dinosaur, but I'll host on Postimages, too, for the time being

DinoToyForum

If you click this link directly to view the image, then reload the forum page, does it appear in the thead then? https://animaltoyforum.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Dermatophagoides_WolffMktg.jpg

Edit. Strike that. Change of tact. I've changed the setting to allow hotlinking in general, but will create a config rule to *disallow* hotlinking for specific dodgy sites. So, hotlinking should work for you again now.

bmathison1972

new and past images are visible, on STF, DTF, and STS. THANK YOU avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum - I hope this doesn't affect sites stealing our material.

STS admin have permission to take images from my daily 'Museum' post for use on the Toy Animal Wiki site, in case you see pics there :)

bmathison1972

Species: †Acrocanthosaurus atokensis

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Safari Ltd.
Series: Wild Safari Prehistoric Wildlife
Year of Production: 2012
Size/Scale: Figure length 19.0 cm. Using skull as a metric (n=3.0 cm), scale comes to approximately 1:42 based on specimen NCSM 14345
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon
Miscellaneous Notes: Acrocanthosaurus and other carcharodontosaurids have gotten some attention in recent years. Papo (2017) and PNSO (2022) both produced Acrocanthosaurus, and at scales that may be more favorable for most collectors (today's Safari version is a bit small compared other dinosaur toys one might want to display it with). While the PNSO figure has more proportionate limbs than the Safari version, I still prefer Wild Safari theropods when they're an option. PNSO has hit the market hard already in 2023 with other carcharodontosaurids, including the morphologically similar (as toys, if not actual animals) Mapusaurus, Meraxes, and Giganotosaurus.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Early Cretaceous (Aptian to Albian) of present-day North America
Habitat: Coastal forests, riparian areas, floodplains
Diet: Predaceous on other dinosaurs, such as sauropods and ornithopods
IUCN Status (at time of posting): N/A [prehistoric]
Miscellaneous Notes: One of the most notable features of A. atokensis is the row of tall neural spines running along the vertebrae of the neck, back, hips, and upper tail. These spines may have been support for tissue forming more of a hump. The purpose of such a structure remains unknown, but theories include temperature regulation, fat storage, and visual communication, possibly for territorial display or sexual communication.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: