News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Stop Them Falling Over Tip.......

Started by MesozoicJohn, February 04, 2022, 09:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MesozoicJohn

I have noticed, from reading various posts on this fab forum, that people have problems with models warping and falling from shelves. I personally stop this by making bases but I know this is not every one's 'cup of tea' and prefer their models not to be based.

Here is a fairly simple and very inexpensive way to make your models stay put..........

Rare-Earth Magnets

These are mega cheap and can be used in a several ways and combinations including:-

1) Magnet to Magnet.
2) Magnet to Metal

The Magnets come in various diameters and thicknesses. They are all very strong but the various sizes allow them to be very flexible on what you can use them for. They can be held in place with a drop of super glue.

The quickest and easiest way to attach them to a models foot is to just glue them in place, this works well and if you use one of the thinnest versions and paint the outside rim black (once in place and the glue has dried) they are just about invisible when the model is standing.
Another way is to drill a hole in the models foot, making it a slightly bigger diameter than the magnet and sinking the magnet into the hole until it is flush with the bottom of the model's foot. Once you are happy with the magnets position remove it, add a drop of super glue to the hole and then put the magnet back in place.
I recommend adding one to both feet of any bipedal beasties.

Next decide what you want the magnet to attract to.

There are several ways to make 'anchoring' points for your models to stand on, for instance scenic bases with a magnets attached. Make sure you get the polarity the correct way round other wise Derek the Dinosaur will be jumping up into the air rather than standing firm.

Metal shelving units.

Magnets can be glued in place on your shelves once you decide were your model will stand. They can be sunk into the wooden shelf in the same way they are sunk into the bottom of the models foot.

Thin sheets or strips of metal can be fixed to the top of your shelf with a thin coat of paint applied or even covered with Javis matting. The magnet should be strong enough to get through this but you can always scrape off a tiny bit of paint or make a tiny hole in the matt were the models magnets are going to be.

Those are just a few ways and I am sure that you will be able to get the system tailored to your own needs. If you need any help or advice please feel free to ask.

John :)

Justin_

I've found old credit card-sized gift cards make unobtrusive bases, especially the newer ones that are a very hard cardboard, and have a matt surface rather than the glossy plastic ones. Just glue the model's feet with a bit of super glue, or even a strong PVA, so it isn't hard to remove if you change your mind. They're barely noticeable on eye-level shelves but you could paint them to match the shelf colour if necessary.

andrewsaurus rex

I've used rare earth magnets for many years to hold bipedal figures upright. A bunch of my display shelves are metal (they are storage shelves that would be used in garages or basements that I've repainted), so I sink magnets into the bottom of the feet and they basically stick to the shelf, via magnetism.

For small figures I will hit a rare earth magnet with a hammer, creating small little chips, then use one of the chips to hold the little figure up.  I recently did this to the Safari flamingo figure, after removing it from its molded base.  I REALLY don't like bases so I always find an alternative.

Shonisaurus

Your Mesozoic John advice is interesting and intelligent, I keep it in mind for my shelves in the future, although in my case I prefer the figures of bipedal prehistoric animals with non-removable bases, but the solution you provide is an equally good and cheaper solution for both collectors as well as for toy dinosaur companies. It is an interesting and intelligent suggestion I repeat.

JohannesB

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.