News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Shapeways

Started by tyrantqueen, December 01, 2012, 01:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexeratops

Quote from: rammleid on December 01, 2013, 01:05:52 PM
My cute Cubby Allosaurus by David Krentz... today I finishes her painting job :)

Lucky... I'm really hoping for a chubbie (or any Shapeways for that matter) for Christmas.
like a bantha!

Zhuchengotyrant

Gorgonzola's 1:72 neck down Amargasaurus finally came! I will paint it during Christmas.
-Zhuchengotyrant

Zhuchengotyrant

-Zhuchengotyrant

Gorgonzola

Sorry to see the neck spines came off!  :( Did they break off during cleaning?

It still looks fantastic thanks to the paint job you gave it though!  Would love to see a closer photo.

Zhuchengotyrant

Quote from: Gorgonzola on December 09, 2013, 02:31:03 PM
Sorry to see the neck spines came off!  :( Did they break off during cleaning?

It still looks fantastic thanks to the paint job you gave it though!  Would love to see a closer photo.
Don't worry, I will when I get home.
Don't worry, it's not your fault. It is still used- as a Dicraesaurus.
And yes, it did fall off during cleaning. :(
-Zhuchengotyrant

tyrantqueen

Geene models 1/35 juvenile Tyrannosaurus rex (or Nanotyrannus if you prefer >:D) "Jane", in WSF.

I think this model will make a great diorama subject. Big thanks and kudos to Galileo Hernandez for making these models available on Shapeways. Despite whatever issues I have had personally with his website and garage kit company, I have had no complaints regarding his Shapeways creations.

Zelan

So I'm thinking about buying more stuff from shapeways now that there are no more brokerage fees and they ship via USPS to canada but I have some questions.

For painted models that are 1:40 scale or smaller, do you guys find that there's any appreciable difference in detail between WSF and the detailed materials? Also, how much stronger is WSF? I bought a 1:72 krentz t rex a while ago in black detail and when I accidentally dropped it, the lower jaw just shattered like glass  :(. Some of the fragments were so small I couldn't glue them back together or find all of them for that matter. If i do get WSF, is the polished version better for painting?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Zelan on December 10, 2013, 08:47:52 PM
So I'm thinking about buying more stuff from shapeways now that there are no more brokerage fees and they ship via USPS to canada but I have some questions.

For painted models that are 1:40 scale or smaller, do you guys find that there's any appreciable difference in detail between WSF and the detailed materials? Also, how much stronger is WSF? I bought a 1:72 krentz t rex a while ago in black detail and when I accidentally dropped it, the lower jaw just shattered like glass  :(. Some of the fragments were so small I couldn't glue them back together or find all of them for that matter. If i do get WSF, is the polished version better for painting?
1. Yes, there is an appreciable difference, in my opinion.
2. I have never broken a WSF model- but then again, I keep my models on a shelf and don't handle them much. Just think of them as ornaments. Did you drop it on a hard floor? You shouldn't have any problems if you dropped on a carpet, for example. I think the smaller materials also tend to be more fragile.
3. They absorb paint pretty much the same way, but in my opinion, polish WSF displays details much nicer and isn't so coarse.

Of course, this is all down to my own experience. You mileage may vary >:D

Zelan

Thanks TQ, I've tried to look at pictures of other people's models to see if there's any difference between painted WSF and detailed but it seems the vast majority of them are WSF and there aren't any comparisons I could find of the same painted model in both materials. I will probably end up going WSF to save money since most models seem to look quite nice painted anyways. I did drop my t rex on a hard floor, if I had a base for it though, I wouldn't have knocked it over quite so easily.

Zhuchengotyrant

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 10, 2013, 01:38:29 PM
Geene models 1/35 juvenile Tyrannosaurus rex (or Nanotyrannus if you prefer >:D) "Jane", in WSF.

I think this model will make a great diorama subject. Big thanks and kudos to Galileo Hernandez for making these models available on Shapeways. Despite whatever issues I have had personally with his website and garage kit company, I have had no complaints regarding his Shapeways creations.
Your joke was funny, but in real world, some evidence has pointed to Nanotyrannus to be a distinct species/genus. Your right, though not enough info to distinct the two. Some paleontologists think it could have been a genetic mutation, as in modern day animals. (Some examples of the differences between the two genuses is the teeth)
-Zhuchengotyrant

tyrantqueen

QuoteYour joke was funny, but in real world, some evidence has pointed to Nanotyrannus to be a distinct species/genus. Your right, though not enough info to distinct the two. Some paleontologists think it could have been a genetic mutation, as in modern day animals. (Some examples of the differences between the two genuses is the teeth)
What makes you think I don't know that? And I didn't say anything about there being "enough info to distinct the two."

Zhuchengotyrant

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 10, 2013, 10:05:08 PM
QuoteYour joke was funny, but in real world, some evidence has pointed to Nanotyrannus to be a distinct species/genus. Your right, though not enough info to distinct the two. Some paleontologists think it could have been a genetic mutation, as in modern day animals. (Some examples of the differences between the two genuses is the teeth)
What makes you think I don't know that? And I didn't say anything about there being "enough info to distinct the two."
I know, but I was just referring to the first sentence you wrote. I'm truly sorry if I offended you.
-Zhuchengotyrant

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on December 10, 2013, 10:07:27 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 10, 2013, 10:05:08 PM
I know, but I was just referring to the first sentence you wrote. I'm truly sorry if I offended you.
You didn't, I'm just not interested in getting into the whole "juvenile vs. nanotyrannus debate".

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Also, Zuchengotyrant, I believe that TQ was perhaps referring to the fact that the Shapeways model itself could double as a Nanotyrannus, as in a diorama or something, due to the size compared to an adult rex. Either way, she probably wasn't (especially due to her clarification above) saying that "all Nanotyrannus finds are actually just juvenile rexes."  ::) Just my two cents.  ;)
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on December 12, 2013, 12:24:26 AM
Also, Zuchengotyrant, I believe that TQ was perhaps referring to the fact that the Shapeways model itself could double as a Nanotyrannus, as in a diorama or something, due to the size compared to an adult rex. Either way, she probably wasn't (especially due to her clarification above) saying that "all Nanotyrannus finds are actually just juvenile rexes."  ::) Just my two cents.  ;)
Yes, you are correct sir :)

Zhuchengotyrant

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 12, 2013, 07:21:17 AM
Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on December 12, 2013, 12:24:26 AM
Yes, you are correct sir :)
Very well!
Glad thats cleared! :))
-Zhuchengotyrant

Zhuchengotyrant

I just got the 1:72 model Yutyrannus by Aaron Doyle for a jaw-dropping total of $0.00! :D
-Zhuchengotyrant

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on December 13, 2013, 10:42:34 PM
I just got the 1:72 model Yutyrannus by Aaron Doyle for a jaw-dropping total of $0.00! :D
How did that happen?
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

postsaurischian

:) 1:20 Eupelycosaurs by Galileo in WSF

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

I already commented on your "beautiful dinosaur mix" thread, but again, great models!
-Peter Benchley

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: