News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Shapeways

Started by tyrantqueen, December 01, 2012, 01:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 02, 2014, 03:15:12 PM
Quote from: Gorgonzola on May 02, 2014, 02:42:33 PM
Who actually ended up being the first to buy the 1/20 Amargasaurus?

:-[    ....... me.
Did you get it in WSF? I am planning to buy mine in FD, but I haven't gotten around to ordering yet.

tyrantqueen

Quotethe Galileo Acrocanthosaurus (1/40) is quite interesting... really, lots of détails...
but I was asking about the 3 pieces kit he realised for Shapeways (1/35 scale)

I really like the baby dinosaurs he's been making lately. A baby Acro would be nice :)

Gorgonzola

Awesome!  Can't wait to see it assembled!

And yes TQ, it was ordered in WSF.  Should be a fair sized model though, Even though it's mostly tail  :P

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gorgonzola on May 02, 2014, 07:03:00 PM

Why the embarrassment ? It's bound to AWESOME !

Awesome!  Can't wait to see it assembled!

And yes TQ, it was ordered in WSF.  Should be a fair sized model though, Even though it's mostly tail  :P

postsaurischian

....... it was ordered in WSF.  Should be a fair sized model though, Even though it's mostly tail  :P

All other materials are definitely too expensive for me.
In FD the model costs more than EUR 330.00 :o ... and still has to get a paintjob then.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 02, 2014, 08:52:50 PM
Why the embarrassment ? It's bound to AWESOME !

... just humor ;).

Gorgonzola

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 02, 2014, 09:47:44 PM
....... it was ordered in WSF.  Should be a fair sized model though, Even though it's mostly tail  :P

All other materials are definitely too expensive for me.
In FD the model costs more than EUR 330.00 :o ... and still has to get a paintjob then.

Oh I know what you mean - US it's about 170 or somewhere thereabouts for FD. At that scale I doubt that Shapeways is a viable method of producing such models.  It'd be better to make them in resin and offset the costs with initial preorders or something to keep stuff reasonable.  Plus you'd be paying the same price for a better material.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Gorgonzola on May 03, 2014, 02:16:31 AM
Oh I know what you mean - US it's about 170 or somewhere thereabouts for FD. At that scale I doubt that Shapeways is a viable method of producing such models.  It'd be better to make them in resin and offset the costs with initial preorders or something to keep stuff reasonable.  Plus you'd be paying the same price for a better material.

I'm afraid you're wrong there. For the Americans the FD model costs USD 322.09.

Of course - if I knew you'd cast a model in resin, I wouldn't buy it from Shapeways. I would always prefer that!
The 1:20 walking Amarga would be perfect for Dan's Dinosaurs Collection :).

Gorgonzola

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 03, 2014, 11:18:11 AM

Of course - if I knew you'd cast a model in resin, I wouldn't buy it from Shapeways. I would always prefer that!

Oop, my mistake, you're right. That's the price of the WSF.

I'm trying to see right now what I can do to get the Nasutoceratops released as a resin kit, since that's what I wanted to aim to do for awhile now (at 1:15 scale.) I think whenever I complete my giraffatitan I might go a similar route since it's size limits what it can be printed with on Shapeways. It's...ah, it's a big animal, haha.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gorgonzola on May 03, 2014, 05:44:13 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on May 03, 2014, 11:18:11 AM

Oop, my mistake, you're right. That's the price of the WSF.

I'm trying to see right now what I can do to get the Nasutoceratops released as a resin kit, since that's what I wanted to aim to do for awhile now (at 1:15 scale.) I think whenever I complete my giraffatitan I might go a similar route since it's size limits what it can be printed with on Shapeways. It's...ah, it's a big animal, haha.
Seems like a good idea to me. You could still use Shapeways, but for small models that wouldn't be cost effective to cast in resin.

postsaurischian

Who actually ended up being the first to buy the 1/20 Amargasaurus? I just saw that someone ordered it.

Curious to see how it prints out at that size and if my hare-brained method of creating keys for fitting works.

The Amargasaurus has arrived.
Unfortunately the three parts do not stick together. The holes are a bit to small for the counterpieces.
I wanted to send it to Martin anyway and I don't think he'll have a problem with this, but it's just not how it was intended.

I think I'll love it when it's finished :).

Gorgonzola

Urgh, I'm sorry to see that, Postsaurischian  :-\

It was a bit of a gamble since it was untested, but kinda good to know now. It's just too right of a fit from what you've mentioned?

I'll have to take a gander at it and see if it's something I can fix. Thinking about it the process does make a snug fit. I kinda refined the process a little bit since I did this fellow, but that wasn't something I anticipated.

Looking at it now though, whoo I can definitely make shorter keys. That seems a bit extreme, haha.

Postsaurischian, if you don't mind I'd love to see more photos of it, just to get an idea of the detail retained at that scale and how the pieces aren't fitting together.

tyrantqueen

What if Concavenator had been made into a chinasaur?

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1974934/retro-concavenator.html?li=search-results&materialId=6

Obviously it's not for everyone, but I found it amusing. And it's by our forum member, paleofreak ;)

postsaurischian

Quote from: Gorgonzola on May 12, 2014, 12:58:29 AM
Postsaurischian, if you don't mind I'd love to see more photos of it, just to get an idea of the detail retained at that scale and how the pieces aren't fitting together.

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't seen your post yet.
The model is already on its way to Martin, so I'm not able to take other pics.
Next will be the ones of the finished model :).

My picture caused a misunderstanding :-[. I don't think the keys are too long. The side length of their quadratic base is, ergo - they are too thick, so that I could just ram them a bit into the holes (see picture).

Gorgonzola

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 18, 2014, 03:40:52 PM
What if Concavenator had been made into a chinasaur?

Obviously it's not for everyone, but I found it amusing. And it's by our forum member, paleofreak ;)

Haha, I rather like it! He's got a bit of a kaiju thing going on with it - you could easily come up with a back story of a prehistoric "shark lizard" rising from the depths... very clever idea.

Postsaurischian, Oh no worries! I got what you meant about the keys being too thick, but me commenting on the length was just another thing I noticed - it's a bit overkill from what it looks like.

I'm going to have to see what I can do about the width of the pegs not being correct...

dinoking

Here are a few pics of some Shapeways models taken at a recent model exhibition:

Blade-of-the-Moon

They look good, haven't heard of Dave Acker in awhile if he is who I think he is.

note: you need to remove the URL and html along with the extra img tags for pics to show up.

dinoking

Dave is well known for painting dinosaur models . He used to advertise his painting services in the "Prehistoric Times" magazine many years ago. He got involved with painting Military Minatures and is just getting back to painting dinos again. These pictures were taken at the recent MFCA show  (Minature Figure Collectors of America)  show held every year near Philadelphia,Pa..The MFCA show is the oldest and largest "Toy Soldier" show in the the US. Every year there is a small contingent of dino models to go along with the vast number of military and historical figures.

dinoking

More pics of Dave's models:[/URL]img][/URL]img][/URL]img][/URL]img][/URL][/img][/URL]img][/URL]img]

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dinoking on May 20, 2014, 05:25:52 AM
Dave is well known for painting dinosaur models . He used to advertise his painting services in the "Prehistoric Times" magazine many years ago. He got involved with painting Military Minatures and is just getting back to painting dinos again. These pictures were taken at the recent MFCA show  (Minature Figure Collectors of America)  show held every year near Philadelphia,Pa..The MFCA show is the oldest and largest "Toy Soldier" show in the the US. Every year there is a small contingent of dino models to go along with the vast number of military and historical figures.

Thought so I just saw some of his past work in PT 36 , I've been re-reading them again.  Shame I'm not visiting my brother now, he works in Philadelphia.

dinoking

Just thought I would pass on some advise from Dave. He highly recomends spending the extra money and getting the Shapeway models made in either "Frosted Detail" or better yet "Ultra Frosted Detail" if you want the extra fine detail to show up .

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: