News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Shapeways

Started by tyrantqueen, December 01, 2012, 01:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Ack. I'm always tempted to buy stuff from Shapeways, but the price... Its just too much for such a small figure. The Paleozoo collection is the same, very good quality, very accurate and very expensive. Is 3D printing really that expensive?

Jose S.M.

I have my eyes on some 2 or 3 models that I think have a good price for their size and probably will get them sooner than later, but the ones I really want are too expensive for their size, mainly most of the 1:40 hadrosaurs.

stargatedalek

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 30, 2016, 03:21:18 AM
Ack. I'm always tempted to buy stuff from Shapeways, but the price... Its just too much for such a small figure. The Paleozoo collection is the same, very good quality, very accurate and very expensive. Is 3D printing really that expensive?
I speak from experience when I say it isn't. Not even close.

This hawk stands about 1 foot tall, and is at most five-ten dollars worth of material.
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4842.0

That being said I use PLA in my printer, it's better for the environment, cheaper, and melts at lower temperatures. It isn't super durable, I'd say it's pretty much exactly like the Kaiyodo Dinotales in terms of strength. Generally speaking you won't see huge differences in detail of material unless you're talking plastic vs resin printing (resin is far more expensive) being due to the materials. The detail settings and capabilities of the printer are what normally determines things like that.

TL;DR, Shapeways is either doing something very wrong on their end or they're charging theater popcorn level markups.

*edit*
Paleozoo uses sandstone printing, so their prices are actually really good for what you're getting.

tyrantqueen

Meh, the last time I had a product printed in PLA, it was pretty bad. Ugly step lines everywhere.

Not that big on sandstone either. I like the frosted and black acrylate materials.

PLA is right at the bottom of materials I want stuff printed in. I want lots of detail in my prints with very little if any steplines.

QuoteGenerally speaking you won't see huge differences in detail of material unless you're talking plastic vs resin printing (resin is far more expensive) being due to the materials. The detail settings and capabilities of the printer are what normally determines things like that

I'd say there is a huge difference in detail between, say, a WSF print and a FUD one. It's like night and day. FUD is fragile, but I wouldn't be playing with them anyway.

Flaffy

I'll wait patiently for the 3D printing tech to advance.
I have plenty of time.

stargatedalek

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 30, 2016, 06:29:56 PM
Meh, the last time I had a product printed in PLA, it was pretty bad. Ugly step lines everywhere.

Not that big on sandstone either. I like the frosted and black acrylate materials.

PLA is right at the bottom of materials I want stuff printed in. I want lots of detail in my prints with very little if any steplines.

QuoteGenerally speaking you won't see huge differences in detail of material unless you're talking plastic vs resin printing (resin is far more expensive) being due to the materials. The detail settings and capabilities of the printer are what normally determines things like that

I'd say there is a huge difference in detail between, say, a WSF print and a FUD one. It's like night and day. FUD is fragile, but I wouldn't be playing with them anyway.
Step lines depends on the printer, not the material. PLA can print just as detailed prints as FUD or as smooth as WSF depending on how good your printer is. Some materials are better suited to fine detail than others, but they can all be printed with the same level of detail it's just a matter of whether you want perfect right off the build plate or if you don't mind messing with your printers settings to find just the right balance.

WSF and FUD should not have a huge difference between them either aside from the material strength and printing time/temperature. The only explanation I can think of is that Shapeways uses different software to prepare the models for each which would be why some are smooth and others are detailed. It probably makes it easier on their printers since it allows them to run with recommended settings and minimizes any actual input needed on their part.

Still ridiculously overpriced.

tyrantqueen

QuoteWSF and FUD should not have a huge difference between them either aside from the material strength and printing time/temperature. The only explanation I can think of is that Shapeways uses different software to prepare the models for each which would be why some are smooth and others are detailed. It probably makes it easier on their printers since it allows them to run with recommended settings and minimizes any actual input needed on their part.

Well, to be fair, it wasn't my printer. I bought the print from an eBay seller. I don't know what settings he used for his printer.

Have you owned both FUD and WSD to compare? Just curious. 

stargatedalek

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 01, 2016, 10:51:07 AM
Well, to be fair, it wasn't my printer. I bought the print from an eBay seller. I don't know what settings he used for his printer.

Have you owned both FUD and WSD to compare? Just curious.
PLA is essentially the default material, almost any printer can use it, which is why so many PLA prints are lower quality, people with higher end printers typically prefer to use ABS and professional companies prefer to use resin or sandstone.

Sadly not, but the difference is quite noticeable between them. Makes me wonder if Shapeways is actually printing in resin since (AFAIK) they haven't ever revealed their formulas. If it is resin than that would explain the difference between materials being so profound.

Someday I'll get some prints done by Shapeways to properly compare them, I've had my eye on an articulated Odontodactylus for some time.

Roktman

To be fair to Shapeways they are not a couple of guys in a basement. I worked near them - they have a factory/warehouse in Queens NY. So the cost of the figures also includes their floor space, utilities, salaries, insurance and all the other costs that associated with a legit business in NYC.

When I buy Shapeways I get the Frosted Ultra Detail a and have no problems with step lines, or unclear details etc... definitely worth the $$ IMHO.

tyrantqueen

QuoteSadly not, but the difference is quite noticeable between them. Makes me wonder if Shapeways is actually printing in resin since (AFAIK) they haven't ever revealed their formulas. If it is resin than that would explain the difference between materials being so profound.

Someday I'll get some prints done by Shapeways to properly compare them, I've had my eye on an articulated Odontodactylus for some time.

Then you can't speak about the quality of any of their prints if you've never owned any of them.

stargatedalek

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 22, 2016, 12:02:20 PM
QuoteSadly not, but the difference is quite noticeable between them. Makes me wonder if Shapeways is actually printing in resin since (AFAIK) they haven't ever revealed their formulas. If it is resin than that would explain the difference between materials being so profound.

Then you can't speak about the quality of any of their prints if you've never owned any of them.
I prefer to do extensive research into something before I buy it, I've read dozens of reviews and seen hundreds of comparison photos, so yes, I very well can.

SBell

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 22, 2016, 03:42:51 PM

I prefer to do extensive research into something before I buy it, I've read dozens of reviews and seen hundreds of comparison photos, so yes, I very well can.

I'd have to agree wtih TQ--if you've never held or seen one up close, it's hard to really know anything about them. Kind of like anything else, really--the term 'armchair research' is perjorative for a reason.

I have several 3D models, even some sandstone ones. Overall, the Shapeways ones are pretty decent. And they let me broaden my collection a bit!

stargatedalek

Quote from: SBell on October 22, 2016, 04:05:01 PM

I'd have to agree wtih TQ--if you've never held or seen one up close, it's hard to really know anything about them. Kind of like anything else, really--the term 'armchair research' is perjorative for a reason.

I have several 3D models, even some sandstone ones. Overall, the Shapeways ones are pretty decent. And they let me broaden my collection a bit!
I have seen test prints in person, I just don't own any. WSF prints were used for a brief 3D printing course in school while the schools printer was down, and a family member of mine has had custom parts printed in FUD in the past. And honestly seeing them in person was less helpful than seeing photos of them alongside other prints and alongside injection molded pieces because it didn't offer any point of reference.

Yes Shapeways are a step-up from the average hobby printer, but it's not a huge step when compared to sandstone printers or industrial resin printers. And the difference between printers only diminishes the larger the print is.

Vitamin-Imagination

Quote from: Takama on September 30, 2016, 01:18:48 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 29, 2016, 09:46:32 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 29, 2016, 08:27:01 PM
VITAMIN-IMAGINATION has uploaded some interesting models to Shapeways.

Interesting indeed! Some of them seem to be available printed in full color.

To bad some of them look like something out of a Horror Videogame

And Serieusly? he thinks this is Edmontosaurus?

Thats Good Mother Lizard, not Lizard from Edmonton

Thank you for giving me your opinion on my model. ^-^ ^-^
I try to make the model based on biological knowledge.
However, I do a little bit of exaggeration.
Because of people who think s as simple toys. :'( :'(
And I make books for children.
So there are some models that make it interesting in the eyes of children. :-\ :-\

In addition, It was made to communicate with the researcher to the Korean exploration team that recently discovered Deinocheirus(2014).
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v515/n7526/full/nature13874.html#figures

Aaron Doyle

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 22, 2016, 05:13:04 PM
Quote from: SBell on October 22, 2016, 04:05:01 PM

I have seen test prints in person, I just don't own any. WSF prints were used for a brief 3D printing course in school while the schools printer was down, and a family member of mine has had custom parts printed in FUD in the past. And honestly seeing them in person was less helpful than seeing photos of them alongside other prints and alongside injection molded pieces because it didn't offer any point of reference.

Yes Shapeways are a step-up from the average hobby printer, but it's not a huge step when compared to sandstone printers or industrial resin printers. And the difference between printers only diminishes the larger the print is.

Nearly all of the printers Shapeways uses are a huge step up from fused deposition printers.  I have a PLA printer at home and it works great for larger pieces but can't match the level of detail on even the cheapest shapeways prints.  This is in part due to how fused deposition works and the surface tension of the plastic being used.  The WSF material is made with laser sintering machines that fuse nylon powder.  The frosted detail, FUD, and the new High Definition Acrylate all use some variant of acrylic resin that is cured with UV light, either through a laser or through an HD full cross-section projection.  They also have to clean up the prints by hand, and do finishing steps for certain materials(for example certain resins require chemical baths to add strength). Of course they do take their markup, but their prices tend to be the best out of all the 3D print shops I've used.

Papi-Anon

Virtually everything I've printed so far has been WSF and I'm just now getting the hang of it. No experience with the frosted detailed materials (FUD and FED). I've done small things in Acrylic White though. Acrylc has smooth detail but don't use it for joints in a figure. Larger printed objects look better in WSF than smaller ones because the stepping is less noticeable. Also, how you orient the print for the actual printing process can improve making the stepping less noticeable.

I have pics of my Allosaurus head printed recently in my paleoart thread, but here's shots of the CAD model in SolidWorks along with the print.

Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

BlueKrono

Some items I'm looking at are offered in Frosted Ultra Detail and in Frosted Extreme Detail. Is there any appreciable difference between the two? Cuz there's certainly a big jump in price. Here's an example:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/SLS5DK33Z/tardigrade-water-bear?optionId=40495141
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Vitamin-Imagination

Great things come to us.
More than $ 4000.
The number of products is 68.

Coming soon...

If you are curious about the details, please click on this link. This link will show you everything.
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5468.0

I will update only those models that show the features of shapeways to this thread.

Neosodon

How come none of them are painted? Are you supposed to paint them yourself?

They look like really nice sculpts from a distance though. Wish it wasn't so expensive ordering from over seas.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

SBell

Quote from: Neosodon on March 02, 2017, 09:03:08 PM
How come none of them are painted? Are you supposed to paint them yourself?

They look like really nice sculpts from a distance though. Wish it wasn't so expensive ordering from over seas.

They come as raw prints. Sometimes you can get coloured ones, often in sandstone.

But yes, you need to prep and paint them if you want them coloured.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: