News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

mb-cg creations

Started by mb-cg, December 03, 2012, 07:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

MB must be very busy, we haven't heard anything from him since June. I hope we didn't scare him off with our requests.

Real life takes precedence over everything else of course, but I do hope MB rejoins the forum, some day 8)

Blade-of-the-Moon

might be really busy with some project or other..his pieces are still for sale on shapeways right ?

mb-cg

Hello, I'm still alive :D I've been away all this time because I'm working hard to finish my final year project. Also the fact of having half of my RAM memory broken did not help XD  I expect having a new PC in a few weeks so I will be able to make more detailed models and faster. During this time I only worked a bit on the Yangchuanosaurus, I don't know if the changes will be visible, they are mostly anatomy and skin tweaks:

tyrantqueen

The Yang looks great. Good luck with your final product, I'm sure you'll pass with flying colours ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Superb Yangchuanosaurus, mb-cg!
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

jtn144

It looks really nice! Do you intend to persevere with the poses you posted earlier? The dead one in particular I like, and I take it these will be in both 1/72 & 1/40?

mb-cg

Thanks for your comments, I'm glad you like it  :D

Quote from: jtn144 on October 21, 2013, 03:04:20 PM
It looks really nice! Do you intend to persevere with the poses you posted earlier? The dead one in particular I like, and I take it these will be in both 1/72 & 1/40?

Yes, I still have those poses saved with the rig so it's just a matter of replacing the old model with the new one.

amargasaurus cazaui

I know its been awhile and might have been somewhat forgotten or just laid to the side, but were you eventually intending to revisit Yinlong and upload the walking pose, to compliment the running one I was already lucky enough to purchase? I know you are quite busy and do not mean to be a nusiance, I just thought to inquire, as you well know I would purchase the model.
If plans do not call for offering in general, perhaps we could work something out for a private sale for one?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

mb-cg

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on October 22, 2013, 08:26:57 PM
I know its been awhile and might have been somewhat forgotten or just laid to the side, but were you eventually intending to revisit Yinlong and upload the walking pose, to compliment the running one I was already lucky enough to purchase? I know you are quite busy and do not mean to be a nusiance, I just thought to inquire, as you well know I would purchase the model.
If plans do not call for offering in general, perhaps we could work something out for a private sale for one?

Thanks for reminding me about that, I almost forgot it. I had the finished model, so I have uploaded it to Shapeways and it's available here: http://shpws.me/pDzU

tyrantqueen

Nice Yinlong. I bet you've made Amargasaurus very happy ;)

amargasaurus cazaui

I believe that is correct, I am delighted to see the little guy offered !! Thanks so much for following up on him !!! I thought he got shelved permanently ....now I can get a pair of them for a scene together. He is such a key little dinosaur and there are that I am aware no other models for him, or very few if there are.My thanks and appreciation to you.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

mb-cg

I had some free time to make progress on the Yangchuanosaurus. Still needs work, but I'm close to begin with the poses:

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on October 31, 2013, 09:16:32 PM
I believe that is correct, I am delighted to see the little guy offered !! Thanks so much for following up on him !!! I thought he got shelved permanently ....now I can get a pair of them for a scene together. He is such a key little dinosaur and there are that I am aware no other models for him, or very few if there are.My thanks and appreciation to you.

Thank you, I hope you enjoy it  :D

jtn144

The Yangchuanosaurus is looking great! I've said it before, but I hope you are able to do the dead and prone versions.

Simon

Beautiful looking critter.  As for myself, I prefer the 'neutral' pose like the one above - that's  probably the most common pose that the animal struck in life, and it allows you to see how it looked without any 'distortion' you see in action poses.

PS Nothing wrong with action poses mind you, I just prefer to have one like this first. 

P.P.S. - Maybe someone with the 'inside' email info can send this photo to Carnegie to show an example of what a theropod's legs and pose are supposed to look like!!!    ;D ;D ;D

postsaurischian

:) Awesome.
The only little sad thing is that a lot of your wonderful details will get lost during the printing process.
I hope Shapeways' technology will proceed and all these fine touches could be seen on the finished product.

In a way Simon is right. Slowly but surely the big manufacturers should have a look at Shapeways. There are some very interesting designers there they should try to contact (before some other do).
The Japanese do it right. They engage their top designers (Araki, Tokugawa, Shinzen, ...etc.) for the Dinosaur models. The results speak for themselves.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: postsaurischian on November 02, 2013, 06:31:03 AM
The only little sad thing is that a lot of your wonderful details will get lost during the printing process.
I hope Shapeways' technology will proceed and all these fine touches could be seen on the finished product.

In a way Simon is right. Slowly but surely the big manufacturers should have a look at Shapeways. There are some very interesting designers there they should try to contact (before some other do).
The Japanese do it right. They engage their top designers (Araki, Tokugawa, Shinzen, ...etc.) for the Dinosaur models. The results speak for themselves.
Well the technology can only get better, right? :)

What's your opinion on Ultra Frosted Detail? I've ordered it in the past, and I think it shows details better than WSF, but the price puts me off :-\

postsaurischian

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 02, 2013, 08:01:55 AM
Quote from: postsaurischian on November 02, 2013, 06:31:03 AM

Well the technology can only get better, right? :)

You're right :). And optimism is an essential attitude to life ;).

What's your opinion on Ultra Frosted Detail? I've ordered it in the past, and I think it shows details better than WSF, but the price puts me off :-\

It's true. UFD shows more detail, but .......

..... not at such a rate that it would warrant those exaggerated prices.
     ..... I hate working for hours to clean off this gelatinous substance (after having paid those exaggerated prices).
     ..... during this cleaning process there's a high risk of breaking the more brittle models, because .......
     ..... the UFD material is highly fragile and often breaks already during shipping.
     ..... it is not good for acrylic paints (put a drop of superglue to the foot of your model and the colour is gone).
     ..... the Black or White Detail material shows just as much detail, looks more beautiful (unpainted) and is less expensive.

....... so, as you might have guessed: I stay away from Ultra Frosted Detail :-X.

mammoth

Quote from: postsaurischian on November 02, 2013, 11:38:10 AM

It's true. UFD shows more detail, but .......

..... not at such a rate that it would warrant those exaggerated prices.
     ..... I hate working for hours to clean off this gelatinous substance (after having paid those exaggerated prices).
     ..... during this cleaning process there's a high risk of breaking the more brittle models, because .......
     ..... the UFD material is highly fragile and often breaks already during shipping.
     ..... it is not good for acrylic paints (put a drop of superglue to the foot of your model and the colour is gone).
     ..... the Black or White Detail material shows just as much detail, looks more beautiful (unpainted) and is less expensive.

....... so, as you might have guessed: I stay away from Ultra Frosted Detail :-X.

Hi postsaurischian, thanks for the information regarding the black and white detail plastics.  I have gotten models printed in the WSF material but as noted a lot of the details are washed out, I would like to try the black detail plastic (David Krentz recommends this).  Do you notice any noticeable print lines of the detail plastics?

Shapeways says this on their website:
"The level of detail for these products is high, but individual layers are more visible than in Strong & Flexible plastics. "

Would anyone happen to have any closeup pictures of the black detail plastic to show if the print lines are very noticeable?  I have seen some dino print pictures in the detail plastics but they were not zoomed in close enough for me to really tell the print quality.  I would be grateful if others could share so I can know what to expect in terms of detail....or loss of details.

thanks in advance everyone!

mb-cg

It's a pity that a lot of the detail get lost when printing, it would be great to do a kit or something like this. I usually offer WSF and frosted detail materials because they have the same min wall restrictions, 0.7mm. I think the detail plastic min wall is 1mm, so it would make every material version more expensive.

Here is an image I did last year and didn't posted here (just a portion in my avatar).  The T. rex is the Jurassic Park one, so I know it's inaccurate :P

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: