News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

mb-cg creations

Started by mb-cg, December 03, 2012, 07:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radman

That image is fantastic!
8)

mb-cg

Thank you radman  :D

I was able to do a simple pose with the Yangchuanosaur and I have uploaded it to Shapeways. I will do more poses in a future, like the ones I posted a long time ago (http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,1047.msg36150.html#msg36150). Here are some images of the pose and the link: http://shpws.me/pIBm

Blade-of-the-Moon

tyrantqueen

Awesome :) You're one of my favourite Shapeways artists, so it's great to see a new model. I was wondering, is it possible to get this model in WSF polished?

s.foulkes

Hope they come out in 1/40th and have detail instead of that smooth sandpaper look.
Bringing back the world of Dinosaurs one sculpt at a time!

mb-cg

The scale of the Yangchuanosaurus is 1:40, and it's about 25cm long in neutral pose. I think with that size the details will be good in WSF and even better in frosted detail. The WSF polished unfortunately isn't possible because the model is bigger than the bounding box limits, the same happens with FUD.

Balaur

Those Yangchuanosaurus look fantastic. I can't imagine how much effort it takes to produce something masterful like this.

mb-cg

Quote from: Balaur on November 08, 2013, 04:10:51 PM
Those Yangchuanosaurus look fantastic. I can't imagine how much effort it takes to produce something masterful like this.

Thank you! :D

I have done a new figure that I think if not the first, it's among the first of this species. It's the Lythronax, that was discovered this month. I will upload more poses of this dinosaur and the Yangchuanosaurus in a future. Here is the link: http://shpws.me/pK3U

tyrantqueen

Just saw the Lythronax on Shapeways :) Awesome. I wonder if you're the first person to make a replica of this theropod.

Simon

Beautiful model, just beautiful.  I understand that we don't have the remains of the body and arms, but you have done a great job anyhow.  Have you considered giving it some feathers on the top of the neck and back?

s.foulkes

Lythronax has a crest like that of Mujungasaurus in the center of the top of his skull just aft of the eye orbits. and the skull is wider than what you have here. Very nice though and im glad your doing this model . love the Yanchan too.;
Bringing back the world of Dinosaurs one sculpt at a time!

mb-cg

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 10, 2013, 04:48:15 PM
Just saw the Lythronax on Shapeways :) Awesome. I wonder if you're the first person to make a replica of this theropod.

It would be great  :D

Quote from: Simon on November 10, 2013, 05:54:36 PM
Beautiful model, just beautiful.  I understand that we don't have the remains of the body and arms, but you have done a great job anyhow.  Have you considered giving it some feathers on the top of the neck and back?

I have tested it and maybe I will upload a feathered version of this pose.

Quote from: s.foulkes on November 10, 2013, 10:33:16 PM
Lythronax has a crest like that of Mujungasaurus in the center of the top of his skull just aft of the eye orbits. and the skull is wider than what you have here. Very nice though and im glad your doing this model . love the Yanchan too.;

Thank you so much, it's a honour that you like my designs. I have checked what you are pointing out using the skeletal references, . Here's a screen capture with the changes I have made:

Takama

I am currently unable to shop on Shapeways due to in ability to use Pay-Pal. But your models are a work of excellence.

wings

Quote from: mb-cg on November 11, 2013, 12:48:07 AM
Thank you so much, it's a honour that you like my designs. I have checked what you are pointing out using the skeletal references, . Here's a screen capture with the changes I have made:

It is probably lacking the jaw closing muscle at the back the lower jaw (mPTv-Pterygomandilbularis ventralis, Holliday and Witmer. 2007, see figures above the blue line).

If you look at the photos below the blue line; you'll see that the back border of the lower jaw bones are obscure by this jaw closing muscle (indicated by the red arrows; there is little on the quail and quite large on the crocodiles). Looking back at what you have if you take away the thickness of the skin there really isn't much (if any) of this muscle wrapping around the back of the jaw on your animal (at least not at the ventral border of the lower jaw which can be clearly seen on the comparison above).

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Amazing! How big is the Lythronax? Hopefully quite large.....  ;)
Also, I'd like input from some other Shapeways shoppers-what is the best to get a model in; frosted detail, or another setting? Thanks.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on November 11, 2013, 05:29:59 PM
Also, I'd like input from some other Shapeways shoppers-what is the best to get a model in; frosted detail, or another setting? Thanks.
It's 1/40, I think about 7 or 6 inches. Regarding materials, I usually go with White Strong Flexible because it's cheap. However, it has several caveats, such that it doesn't hold as much detail as other materials, and it is very coarse and unpleasant to paint. White Strong Flexible polished is better, but I don't think it's available in Manuel's models due to restrictions. If you order in WSF, bear in mind that some of the detail in the original 3D image may be lost.

Frosted Detail is a good compromise if you don't want to spend too much money but still want a bit more detail. I ordered the material once, but I didn't like it because it's quite brittle and doesn't feel very solid. And finally, if you're happy to spend a bit more money, then you might want to consider Ultra Frosted Detail. It's solid, and stronger than FD, and has even more detail. But sadly, it's very expensive.

These three are the only material I have experience with so far; I have not tried any of the metal or ceramic materials so I can't comment on those. Once you have an example of each of the materials in your hand, you'll probably make your own mind up about which material you like.

tyrantqueen

Oh btw, if you're still unsure, take a look at this:

http://www.shapeways.com/materials

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

mb-cg

Quote from: Takama on November 11, 2013, 01:09:52 AM
I am currently unable to shop on Shapeways due to in ability to use Pay-Pal. But your models are a work of excellence.
Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on November 11, 2013, 05:29:59 PM

Thank you, glad you like it  :D The figure is 17.19cm/6.77inches long.

Quote from: wings on November 11, 2013, 02:42:32 PM
It is probably lacking the jaw closing muscle at the back the lower jaw (mPTv-Pterygomandilbularis ventralis, Holliday and Witmer. 2007, see figures above the blue line).

If you look at the photos below the blue line; you'll see that the back border of the lower jaw bones are obscure by this jaw closing muscle (indicated by the red arrows; there is little on the quail and quite large on the crocodiles). Looking back at what you have if you take away the thickness of the skin there really isn't much (if any) of this muscle wrapping around the back of the jaw on your animal (at least not at the ventral border of the lower jaw which can be clearly seen on the comparison above).

Thanks for the information, I have fixed a bit that jaw muscle, but don't if it's enough. Here is an image of how it's now:

jtn144

Let me ask, I placed an order for the Lythronax a day or two ago before Shane and Wings posted their suggestions. Will mine be printed with the corrections or do I need to cancel and re-order? The model has not gone to the printing stage as of this time.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: