News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Using Extant figures as Prehistoric species

Started by Flaffy, November 06, 2022, 07:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doyouthinkhesaurus Rex

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy L @Leyster Yea I know using sawfish as onchopristis is definitely a stretch, I just use it as something to put in my spinosaur's mouth until a proper one comes out haha

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy And for paddlefish yes it's something I would like to add as well but unfortunately there do not seem to be any widely available figures of it

And yes prehistoric plants are a great addition too, live or plastic! Collecta has a bunch of options in that regard but they're just a little expensive

Flaffy

Quote from: Doyouthinkhesaurus Rex on November 15, 2022, 06:59:55 PMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy And for paddlefish yes it's something I would like to add as well but unfortunately there do not seem to be any widely available figures of it

And a damn shame. The only good Paddlefish models on the market are small batch artisan customs, but even those are hard to get your hands on.
Moreover, even IF we were lucky enough to get a Paddlefish figure, it'll most likely be based off the extant American Paddlefish rather than the now exinct ( :'( )  Chinese Paddlefish. The American Paddlefish morphology only appeared after K-PG if I remember correctly, with Mesozoic Paddlefish being closer in anatomy to the Chinese Paddlefish with a more conical rostrum. I own a fossil of Protosephurus, and the anatomy is distinctly different from the living species. Same goes for the Hell Creek Paddlefish Paleopsephurus.

For reference: American Paddlefish, Chinese Paddlefish, Paleopsephurus, Protosephurus (my personal specimen)

QuoteAnd yes prehistoric plants are a great addition too, live or plastic! Collecta has a bunch of options in that regard but they're just a little expensive

Admittedly live tree ferns aren't the cheapest plants around either... But they're very fun to grow, and comes in all different shapes, sizes and textures.

SBell

Quote from: Flaffy on November 15, 2022, 07:29:40 PM
Quote from: Doyouthinkhesaurus Rex on November 15, 2022, 06:59:55 PMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy And for paddlefish yes it's something I would like to add as well but unfortunately there do not seem to be any widely available figures of it

And a damn shame. The only good Paddlefish models on the market are small batch artisan customs, but even those are hard to get your hands on.
Moreover, even IF we were lucky enough to get a Paddlefish figure, it'll most likely be based off the extant American Paddlefish rather than the now exinct ( :'( )  Chinese Paddlefish. The American Paddlefish morphology only appeared after K-PG if I remember correctly, with Mesozoic Paddlefish being closer in anatomy to the Chinese Paddlefish with a more conical rostrum. I own a fossil of Protosephurus, and the anatomy is distinctly different from the living species. Same goes for the Hell Creek Paddlefish Paleopsephurus.

For reference: American Paddlefish, Chinese Paddlefish, Paleopsephurus, Protosephurus

QuoteAnd yes prehistoric plants are a great addition too, live or plastic! Collecta has a bunch of options in that regard but they're just a little expensive

Admittedly live tree ferns aren't the cheapest plants around either... But they're very fun to grow, and comes in all different shapes, sizes and textures.

I definitely have a number of paddlefish...but that's what I do.

Also can't forget the bowfin Amiidae. Which, again, not especially common. Unless you're me. Hellbender models claims to have a bowfin and Chinese paddlefish planned, but they're not exactly inexpensive. I'll still get them though.

Cryptobranchid salamanders could also probably be found in appropriate scales and would be relevant.

As for plants --go older! I have horsetails in my yard, and am raising different ones to somehow incorporate into a fish tank...

Flaffy

Quote from: SBell on November 15, 2022, 07:59:08 PMI definitely have a number of paddlefish...but that's what I do.

Yes, well aware of your extensive collection of Chondrosteians. ;) Impressive how you managed to track down so many of them!

That being said, I only really consider the "My Favorite Animals" and your one to be good representatives of P. spathula; and of course the tragiclly cancelled Kaiyodo one :'(  :'( . avatar_brettnj @brettnj any info on if the "My Favorite Animals" Paddlefish is still available by any chance?

QuoteAlso can't forget the bowfin Amiidae. Which, again, not especially common. Unless you're me. Hellbender models claims to have a bowfin and Chinese paddlefish planned, but they're not exactly inexpensive. I'll still get them though.

Not sure about Hellbender models, but I know Memory Museum already has a resin Chinese Paddlefish available. Not a fan of the colouration or the pose on that model hence I skipped it, especially considering that asking price

QuoteAs for plants --go older! I have horsetails in my yard, and am raising different ones to somehow incorporate into a fish tank...

Oh absolutely! Would love to grow horsetails personally, but still havent decided on which species to grow. I know E. bogotense is the most basal of the extant species, but it doesn't look very striking now does it? Do you have any reccomendations?

Other prehistoric plants I'd like to grow in my future prehistoric garden include: Monkey Puzzle Tree, Wollemi Pine, Ginkgo, various Cycads, and Psilotum nudum "Bunryu Zan".

P. nudum "Bunryu Zan" in particular is of interest as it's morphology closely resembles the earliest (semi)vascular plants like Cooksonia.

andrewsaurus rex

The Collecta Red Deer can be used.  Red Deer were a major food source for Neanderthal.  I find the colour of the Collecta figure is not great,  as it's not reddish enough, but it could be used to represent a prehistoric version of the Red Deer.

SidB

Quote from: SidB on November 07, 2022, 03:05:54 AMVery cool move with the Mojo warthog, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy. I just ordered one myself to stand in as a Metridiochoerus. It's got me thinking about other adaptations/ substitutions that I could make.
Once again, a thanks, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy , for the recommendation. My Mojo warthog/Metridiochoerus came in yesterday and it sure fits the bill.

Flaffy

Quote from: SidB on November 22, 2022, 12:43:42 PM
Quote from: SidB on November 07, 2022, 03:05:54 AMVery cool move with the Mojo warthog, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy. I just ordered one myself to stand in as a Metridiochoerus. It's got me thinking about other adaptations/ substitutions that I could make.
Once again, a thanks, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy , for the recommendation. My Mojo warthog/Metridiochoerus came in yesterday and it sure fits the bill.

Happy to hear that you like it! I was surprised by how well the Mojo Warthog worked as a Metridiochoerus too when compared with Schleich's.

Flaffy

Quote from: andrewsaurus on November 22, 2022, 12:16:58 PMThe Collecta Red Deer can be used.  Red Deer were a major food source for Neanderthal.  I find the colour of the Collecta figure is not great,  as it's not reddish enough, but it could be used to represent a prehistoric version of the Red Deer.

The CollectA Red Deer family's sculpts are certainly showing their age, being more than a decade old. Safari ltd's version is much nicer by comparison.

SidB

Papo red deer, picked this up at a thrift shop a couple of years ago. Think that I like the Safari version better, but this will do.

SidB

Also, I was wondering if the Pronghorn Antelope would qualify? Is it a Pleistocene survivor?

Remko

Received the Mojo Warthog as well today.
Wonderful figure, and will be a very nice substitue for a giant extinct warthog.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.