News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nanmu - New for 2023

Started by Sturisoma, November 12, 2022, 11:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sovereign59 on February 28, 2023, 03:15:39 AMI
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 28, 2023, 03:10:27 AM
Quote from: Sovereign59 on February 28, 2023, 02:57:02 AMReceived an email late last night/early this morning thay my standard Giga has shipped as well. I'm excited! :) I read on one of Lana's instagram posts that they would be reaching out to people who "registered" to order the dragon soul version and the V Rex this week, still hoping there's a chance I might be lucky this time. But I can't imagine that they possibly have enough of them left to offer one to everyone who registered.

I don't know, I registered early as soon as they mentioned it, but I feel they were taking new registers a few days at least, I actually never heard them say they were sold out.  I think, maybe, after the Spinosaurus they are making more? The Spino was a test to see how well they sell. There are several stores carrying them or planning to, more than I thought before.

Hopefully that's how it will be then! I wouldn't even mind if they took orders well in advance for these dragon soul figures, taking payment ahead to reserve them, then they'd produce them when they had a number of orders already in plus however many extra they want to make. Just making a limited amount like 498 or whatever the Spino was limited to I think createst this feeling of "rarity" that makes people want to just buy them all up whether they really like the piece or not.

You hit the nail on the head, it's more of a business tactic, but if Nanmu does control the numbers or the molds wear out they can cease anytime they like. I think we will just have to see. My dad always told me the time to buy something you want is when you see it. So far that's worked out.

SenSx

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 28, 2023, 02:02:03 AM
Quote from: SenSx on February 27, 2023, 04:03:48 PM
Quote from: Paleo Flo on February 27, 2023, 05:51:26 AM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on February 27, 2023, 01:58:27 AMThat is a nice Acrocanthosaurus

You nailed my thoughts on the JW Giganothosaurus  ;D

Oh yes, exactly why I don't like the JW Giga.

I mean it is related. A bit of Acro DNA in there wouldn't be a surprise.

Yes they are related so it could explain that.
And of course I'm not a big fan of the design made by the creators of the movie, not the figure itsef, it's a great figure.

However there is one thing I don't understand, why are there some Giga interpretation with a less large head in height (I don't know how to put it) like for exemple this Nanmu Giga, the W-Dragon, the Safari or the first PNSO.
And others with a larger head like the first Nanmu Giga and the new PNSO.
Are these just different head sculpt reconstruction ?
Actually this Nanmu Giga's head looks might look like an Acro as well.

(yes of course we are on a Nanmu thread, not the best place to speak of accuracy)

dragon53

My problem with my Nanmu Leaning Tower of Parasaurolophus continues. I just noticed the toes on the foot that connects to the base are tilted up which causes it to leaning far left.

So have any of you used a hair dryer to heat up a Nanmu dinosaur?.....will a hair dryer damage the paint?

blnadal

Update a few tidbits.
1. We will stop production of the "white version" of Spinosaurus 2.0 and replace it with a limited release of 1000 Pharaohs. We will redesign its platform to make it more interesting.
2. A variety of color matching strategies are mainly to cater to more people, it may not be suitable for you, but it must have an audience that likes it. Be tolerant and smile.

Kei

1st That pharaoh scheme for the Spinosaurus 2.0 is simply stunning!

2nd: Is that the "walking with dinosaurs" liopleurodon color scheme ?! This may be a long shot but its very similar ( and beautiful )

Carnoking

The albino variant was pretty tempting to begin with, and that pharaoh paint scheme is just awesome! Probably won't be getting it but credit where credit is due.

It seems vaguely familiar though, almost looks like the National Geographic render from

Blade-of-the-Moon

QuoteBe tolerant and smile.

Love it. lol

They look great, won't be getting the Spino because I hate double dipping for color.  Not sure on the Mosasaur..I sort of have a similar one already.

dragon53

Repeating my question:

So have any of you used a hair dryer to heat up a Nanmu dinosaur?.....will a hair dryer damage the paint?

Pliosaurking

Seeing as I have the limited edition version of the Spinosaurus and the original 1st version, I may pick up the pharaoh version. It looks really good. The Mosasaurus also looks fantastic.

Eatmycar

That Mosasaur looks like a sea snake or an eel if I remember right - what a beauty.

Over9K

Quote from: dragon53 on February 28, 2023, 02:24:50 PMMy problem with my Nanmu Leaning Tower of Parasaurolophus continues. I just noticed the toes on the foot that connects to the base are tilted up which causes it to leaning far left.

Reasonable heat should not be a problem. Use that hairdryer, not a mechanic's heat gun, which would be too hot. Keep the heat moving on the figure a bit, don't just bake one spot. Once you have the figure in the pose you want it in, make sure to shock cool the figure with iced water. This will rapidly cool the heated area, and help to reset the vinyl's "memory", allowing it to retain the new pose you've created.

You can also use warm/hot water to heat the figure. Using water is more useful for larger areas, upper legs, necks, thick ends of tails. Using warm/hot offers the advantage of being able to "deep heat" an area of the figure, that is to heat the PVC inside to the center, allowing more movement of the softened material. I warm the water I use in the microwave, 2mins for a large pyrex measuring cup, 3mins for a bigger bowl. I immerse the area of the figure I want to re-pose for 7 to 10 minutes.      I want the water so I can just barely stand to dip my finger in it, way hotter than I shower. I've also used the hot water that my wife's Kurig coffemaker puts out. When using water, cooling the figure after re-posing with iced water is important, and you need to cool it to the core. Dip the figure into the basin of iced water, holding the pose you want for as long as you can.

Remember, when re-posing your figure, bend the area a tiny bit extra, because as it cools it will spring back somewhat, so by going that little extra, hopefully it lands right where you want it once it's cooled. Lastly, stand the figure up, or put it on the base, as it will be displayed, and allow it to fully cool. You can even stand it up in the refrigerator, for extra cooling. It's ok, your wife will understand.

The best thing about this technique, is if you mess it up, you can just re-heat and try again. Go slow and there's nothing wrong with taking a few shots at it, to get it right. I've redone my REBOR Killer Queen 6 or 8 times now, but that front leg always creeps back out of whack. There's no damage to the paint in the leg area at all.

Carnoking

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 28, 2023, 04:24:58 PM

Love it. lol

They look great, won't be getting the Spino because I hate double dipping for color.  Not sure on the Mosasaur..I sort of have a similar one already.

Gotta say, I'm a little surprised by the negative response the mosasaurus variant received. I rarely prefer buying Nanmu's original color schemes (if I'm going to buy a dinosaur model based off something from the movies, I want it to look like it did in the movies) but then again I've rarely-if ever-thought their standalone designs weren't at the very least interesting.

I suppose if individuals were under the misguided view that Nanmu was only releasing that sculpt in a non-canon color scheme, then their outspoken disappointment might be a bit more understandable but Nanmu has never skimped on releasing the official colors.

I also saw some bemoaning their over reliance on stripes for their color schemes but I guess I never noticed it. Clearly these collectors aren't familiar with the likes of PNSO and their propensity for earth tones and stripes  :P

dragon53

OVER9K:

Thanks for the info.

I used a hair dryer on Papo dinosaurs and the Rebor Retro T Rex, but not on Nanmu, so I was worried the hair dryer might affect the paint.

I'm still having problems with my Nanmu Leaning Tower of Parasaurolophus---not matter what I try to correct it, it keeps leaning over.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on March 01, 2023, 01:29:26 AM

Love it. lol

Gotta say, I'm a little surprised by the negative response the mosasaurus variant received. I rarely prefer buying Nanmu's original color schemes (if I'm going to buy a dinosaur model based off something from the movies, I want it to look like it did in the movies) but then again I've rarely-if ever-thought their standalone designs weren't at the very least interesting.

I suppose if individuals were under the misguided view that Nanmu was only releasing that sculpt in a non-canon color scheme, then their outspoken disappointment might be a bit more understandable but Nanmu has never skimped on releasing the official colors.

I also saw some bemoaning their over reliance on stripes for their color schemes but I guess I never noticed it. Clearly these collectors aren't familiar with the likes of PNSO and their propensity for earth tones and stripes  :P

Is there a negative response?  I haven't noted any. I like the colors as I said I just don't the Spinosaurus again. If the  they tried say an Irritator ? In that color scheme I'd be all over it.   The mosasaur looks fantastic, I'm just not certain if I need it having Shane's HUGE mosasaur resin kit in a color pattern like a monitor lizard which this kind of is.

What your probably seeing is the "new" nanmu fanboys, just like PNSO and Rebor they are getting a following.

Paleo Flo

Nanmu is not my cup of tea, but I like the variants a lot! Can't forget the "Holstein" Triceratops.
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Carnoking

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 01, 2023, 04:53:20 AM
Quote from: Carnoking on March 01, 2023, 01:29:26 AM

Love it. lol

Is there a negative response?  I haven't noted any. I like the colors as I said I just don't the Spinosaurus again. If the  they tried say an Irritator ? In that color scheme I'd be all over it.   The mosasaur looks fantastic, I'm just not certain if I need it having Shane's HUGE mosasaur resin kit in a color pattern like a monitor lizard which this kind of is.

What your probably seeing is the "new" nanmu fanboys, just like PNSO and Rebor they are getting a following.

I wondered what may have sparked their "be tolerant and smile" comment, so I read through some of the responses on Instagram and saw a smattering of negative comments. Like I said, I was a bit surprised by it

Cpt Red 3eard

I'm usually the same way about not buying Nanmu's alternate color schemes. I'm buying a specific figure depicting a specific animal from media so I want it to look as close as possible to that animal. However, I loved their green/violet para much more than the OG paint app so that's the one I bought and I have no regrets.

(So long as it stays standing...)

dragon53

"(So long as it stays standing...) "

Bingo!

Blade-of-the-Moon

My brown version has been standing since i bought it. i've moved it a few times it just doesn't get really hot here either.

dragon53

BLADE-OF-THE-MOON:

I'm baffled as to why my green one keeps tilting/falling to the left. I bent the peg repeatedly which corrected the tilt problem and I would check on it over a week or so and it would be fine, then a week later it's tilted again. I heated the toes in hopes that might help correct the problem, but I haven't had time to see if it works.

The peg once fell behind a case of around 80-90 tightly-placed models, so I had to remove all the models to get the peg and broke small parts off of 4-5 of them---and 2-3 parts are still missing. So I'm really ticked off at my Leaning Tower of Parasaurolophus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: