News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nanmu - New for 2023

Started by Sturisoma, November 12, 2022, 11:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blnadal

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 22, 2023, 03:08:52 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 22, 2023, 02:45:20 PM
Quote from: Bread on June 22, 2023, 12:58:05 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 22, 2023, 05:46:41 AM
Quote from: Bread on June 21, 2023, 07:49:54 PMThey look nice, but...
we all wish Nanmu would make actual prehistoric animals and not the same JP renditions over and over again because these look great.

I would be fine if they did BOTH. I think they make a really nice mid-range product for collectors of JP/JW pieces. That said if they wanted to try for accuracy I would ok with it, of course they would be up against PNSO and even Rebor coming up on them.
They do make lovely JP copies. I still think their "Buck" is the best on the market. I think the real issue besides the constant JP inspired releases, is that it is the same movie monsters over and over again.

Still not a flock of Gallimimus, the Corythosaurus from JP3, a Dilophosaurus, etc. It's always the same Tyrannosaurus, Spinosaurus...

But back to accuracy, they did make those two (three?) pieces that were very praised by many. Shame we won't see more of those soon.

That's true. They need to cover the other creatures in the franchise as well as the popular ones.  Oddly they haven't done a new Indominus or Indoraptor, some of their now dated pieces.

I could imagine that with Indominus and Indoraptor they are at risk of being taken to court for copyright infringement. They seem not to have an official JP / JW license. Nobody can take offense with them making normal dinosaurs, even if they look somewhat similar in style to JP / JW. But Indominus and Indoraptor are specific to the movies resp. the franchise.

No moreso than other designs from the films and they have already done versions of them, on top of that Chinese law , from what I've heard, takes no direction from U.S. copyrights. They definitely aren't paying for a license. W-Dragon had it, now Dino Dream I think does. Prime 1 still has the large statue license, Iron Studios has another version of the license.  I wonder if it more to do with how much the first Indominus was ripped off? I've seen the knockoff version everywhere, but not of their other products?

Quote from: Over9K on June 22, 2023, 06:48:46 PMI actually don't want Nanmu to make accurate dinosaurs.

I want Nanmu to make BEASTS. Even though I did not purchase Mordred, it showed me the potential of Nanmu doing creatures of pure fantasy, and my current pipedream would be for Nanmu to bring us Griffons and Minotaurs and Trolls and Dragons and other beasts of fantasy and literature.

Could you imagine a totally awesomebro 2 foot Moby Dick figure, with a little unpainted Ahab and the DLX comes with a base featuring a smashed whaleboat? Or how about a 30cm Cthulu? Vermithrax Pejorative?

That's what I want.

I really want to see them make dragons. An entire movie line of them would be perfect.

Quote from: Bread on June 22, 2023, 07:23:50 PM
Quote from: Over9K on June 22, 2023, 06:48:46 PMI actually don't want Nanmu to make accurate dinosaurs.

I want Nanmu to make BEASTS. Even though I did not purchase Mordred, it showed me the potential of Nanmu doing creatures of pure fantasy, and my current pipedream would be for Nanmu to bring us Griffons and Minotaurs and Trolls and Dragons and other beasts of fantasy and literature.

Could you imagine a totally awesomebro 2 foot Moby Dick figure, with a little unpainted Ahab and the DLX comes with a base featuring a smashed whaleboat? Or how about a 30cm Cthulu? Vermithrax Pejorative?

That's what I want.
I'd probably be interested in these especially due to my interest in David Silva's dragons coming.

But the issue being Nanmu's Mordred did not sell so well. I've been seeing that model sitting well stocked on sites, including Aliexpress. It was high priced to begin with, but regardless it did not meet what others wanted. Shame really that the JP inspired models are that high of demand regardless of how many we got already.

Mordred just turned out to be a Chimera of ideas. It tried appealing to everyone and so ended up appealing to just a very few. They just needed to make a realistic version of the Keener toy..not so hard right?

I still think though they made a perfect Tarrasque from D&D.

Quote from: blnadal on June 23, 2023, 12:50:15 AMno Indominus 2.0 for us

When was that posted?  It sounded a bit rude. To me I can't see them not doing it if it makes them money?

Carnoking

I'm sure they'll do it when they don't have any other ideas

Bread

Quote from: Carnoking on June 23, 2023, 09:20:55 AMI'm sure they'll do it when they don't have any other ideas
Probably after 2 or more so Tyrannosaurus and Spinosaurus releases ::)

Over9K

I'm a believer in the REBOR theory of putting out at least one T.rex annually.

It's like every pizza place does pepperoni a dozen different ways, and every ice cream shop does vanilla and chocolate ten times over with small variations.

You expect it. It's customary, even.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on June 23, 2023, 02:38:39 PMI'm a believer in the REBOR theory of putting out at least one T.rex annually.

It's like every pizza place does pepperoni a dozen different ways, and every ice cream shop does vanilla and chocolate ten times over with small variations.

You expect it. It's customary, even.

I'm having to get a little more picky about what I buy or some more older stuff needs to go. The JP Rex holds a lot property here already.

blnadal

Quote from: Carnoking on June 23, 2023, 09:20:55 AMI'm sure they'll do it when they don't have any other ideas
I don't know, maybe the're avoiding troubles with JW license..

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: blnadal on June 26, 2023, 07:22:08 PM

Maybe..but now they are announcing JP3 Raptors. Did the JP license maybe expire in China vs the newer JW one? but then they made Giganotosaurus and talked about a Quetz and a Theri..so..I have no idea.

SenSx

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 27, 2023, 04:46:09 AM

Maybe..but now they are announcing JP3 Raptors. Did the JP license maybe expire in China vs the newer JW one? but then they made Giganotosaurus and talked about a Quetz and a Theri..so..I have no idea.

Those Velociraptors are marketed at 1/15, but they seem to be 27cm long, if I'm not mistaken.
And the 1/10 Iron studio ones are 30cm long.

There is hope those raptors are more 1/10 than 1/15...

blnadal

But the raptors are real dinosaurs, just like Giga and Theri, Universal couldn't sue them, unlike Indominus

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: blnadal on June 27, 2023, 03:25:34 PM

But the raptors are real dinosaurs, just like Giga and Theri, Universal couldn't sue them, unlike Indominus

Maybe..but Universal usually trademarks a design even if it's a real animal or based on one? I mean look at Disney and say Bambi?

Over9K

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 27, 2023, 05:18:28 PMMaybe..but Universal usually trademarks a design even if it's a real animal or based on one? I mean look at Disney and say Bambi?

Because Jurassic Park was "photorealistic", and the production attempted to create "accurate" dinosaurs, I doubt they could prove that Rexy is "unique" enough among interpretations of Tyrannosaurus rex to be copyright-able. Ditto any other "real" dinosaur. Proving such in court would be nigh impossible, given that John and Jane Q. Jurymember won't be able to distinguish between Rexy and say Blue Rhino studios Sue statue. To the Normals, a dinosaur is a dinosaur. Trying to get them to see the difference between examples of the same species just isn't going to happen.

Disney can copyright Bambi, because Bambi is highly-stylized. No deer looks like Bambi, despite the fact that Bambi is obviously a deer. Bambi is also instantly recognizable as a character by the public at large.

What Disney cannot do is copyright a character like say King Louie, from the live action Jungle book, because despite Louie being enormous, and having unique features, at the end he is no more than a giant orangutan and you can't just copyright an "orangutan."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on June 28, 2023, 12:31:30 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 27, 2023, 05:18:28 PMMaybe..but Universal usually trademarks a design even if it's a real animal or based on one? I mean look at Disney and say Bambi?

Because Jurassic Park was "photorealistic", and the production attempted to create "accurate" dinosaurs, I doubt they could prove that Rexy is "unique" enough among interpretations of Tyrannosaurus rex to be copyright-able. Ditto any other "real" dinosaur. Proving such in court would be nigh impossible, given that John and Jane Q. Jurymember won't be able to distinguish between Rexy and say Blue Rhino studios Sue statue. To the Normals, a dinosaur is a dinosaur. Trying to get them to see the difference between examples of the same species just isn't going to happen.

Disney can copyright Bambi, because Bambi is highly-stylized. No deer looks like Bambi, despite the fact that Bambi is obviously a deer. Bambi is also instantly recognizable as a character by the public at large.

What Disney cannot do is copyright a character like say King Louie, from the live action Jungle book, because despite Louie being enormous, and having unique features, at the end he is no more than a giant orangutan and you can't just copyright an "orangutan."

Doesn't really explain Nanmu doing them in the first place? At that time however I don't think any Chinese companies held the license like they do now? Like W-Dragon and Dino Dream now. I believe both are based out of China?

I hate to argue it but I think your underestimating Disney and Universal lawyers lol I think if shown a picture of  JP/JW Rex from the film vs a current scientifically accurate model most would probably tell the film version from the other just based on look and context.

I tried looking up some things on Google, of course most legal jargon is way over my head. It may be possible for them to copyright a cg created "character" just like an animated one as cg could be yet another form of animation and still for all intents and purposes isn't "real".

blnadal

Bread

Ugh... I thought I was done with Nanmu products.

*Sighs*

The only reason I'd like the model with the fence, is due to my desire to own a diorama replicating this memorable scene. Plus it is Nanmu, so quite possibly will be more affordable than official licensed pieces.

After that, besides a possible JP Gallimimus, I don't think I'll be interested in future Nanmu products.

Carnoking

Definitely going to be a hard choice between these two options but given how impossible the dragon soul options have become to get, that decision may be made for me.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on June 29, 2023, 06:30:35 PMDefinitely going to be a hard choice between these two options but given how impossible the dragon soul options have become to get, that decision may be made for me.

I think initially that was true with the Spino, though it seems easier now?

Carnoking

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 30, 2023, 06:27:38 AM
Quote from: Carnoking on June 29, 2023, 06:30:35 PMDefinitely going to be a hard choice between these two options but given how impossible the dragon soul options have become to get, that decision may be made for me.

I actually had an easier time locking in the Spinosaurus than the last few offerings. I never saw the DS V. rex or Giga in stock at the usual websites and had to make arrangements to get them through other means. Now that the Mosasaurus is rolling out, I'm yet to see the DS variant in stock anywhere despite seeing other collectors posting in hand images of it. Not that I'm terribly torn up about that one, I'm fine with just the standard release for the mosa but the point stands that the opportunity to order it was never presented

Bread

Quote from: Carnoking on June 30, 2023, 09:23:06 AM

I actually had an easier time locking in the Spinosaurus than the last few offerings. I never saw the DS V. rex or Giga in stock at the usual websites and had to make arrangements to get them through other means. Now that the Mosasaurus is rolling out, I'm yet to see the DS variant in stock anywhere despite seeing other collectors posting in hand images of it. Not that I'm terribly torn up about that one, I'm fine with just the standard release for the mosa but the point stands that the opportunity to order it was never presented
If this really is the case with DragonSoul products, it makes it easier for me to be unable to purchase this.

Looking at the red rex, it would be my second option really just because of the novel.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on June 30, 2023, 09:23:06 AM

I usually look for Lana to do a register for the DS products. If not I'd contact them.  I did see the last ones come up on Warung Forza's shop on facebook.  Yeah I didn't need the Mosasaur so I didn't bother with seeing how hard it was to acquire. Maybe the Spinosaurus was easier because many didn't want to spend the extra money/take a chance? Then it quietly sold out?  IDK I sold mine pretty quick after getting it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: