News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nanmu - New for 2023

Started by Sturisoma, November 12, 2022, 11:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over9K

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 11, 2023, 03:16:13 AMMaybe I'll get it..we'll see what the final product looks like.  Lana said this was their next updated piece..I'm curious if there are  any new species between that? 

QuoteThe next updated work of Nanmu Studio will be Mosasaurus, and the next one will be today's protagonist--Alpha 2.0.

Looks like we may see Alpha2.0 during the summer... perfect for the 30th Anniversary.

Sturisoma

I wonder when the teased therizinosaurus and the promised pteranodon will be released. I hope those were not empty promises to appease angry collectors who received their resin brachiosaurus damaged. I thought Nanmu would be the first to release a JWD therizinosaurus. Looks like Prime 1 beat them to it, but it means Nanmu will have an "inspiration"  ;)  As far as I know, Nanmu has released all of its promised concepts, save for the scooter which would have looked great with the Ranger 2.0
Spoiler
(and also for my country, those of us who bought the resin brachiosaurus did not receive the mini one  :)) )
[close]

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sturisoma on February 11, 2023, 06:00:54 AMI wonder when the teased therizinosaurus and the promised pteranodon will be released. I hope those were not empty promises to appease angry collectors who received their resin brachiosaurus damaged. I thought Nanmu would be the first to release a JWD therizinosaurus. Looks like Prime 1 beat them to it, but it means Nanmu will have an "inspiration"  ;)  As far as I know, Nanmu has released all of its promised concepts, save for the scooter which would have looked great with the Ranger 2.0
Spoiler
(and also for my country, those of us who bought the resin brachiosaurus did not receive the mini one  :)) )
[close]

If Prime 1 put there Theri up  today for preorder we might get it in two years lol

Sturisoma

"We collected some effective suggestions and quickly corrected some questions raised by fans. It seems that it will take some time to be "better".😊"

After fans' suggestions vs original:

That was a quick update. Happy to see a thiccer Rexy  :))

blnadal

Blade-of-the-Moon

Is it me or is it a bit too..stylized?

BlueKrono

Quote from: Sturisoma on February 11, 2023, 03:24:20 PMThat was a quick update. Happy to see a thiccer Rexy  :))

I guess that's the benefit of removing sculptors from the process. With a 3D model you can redo most of it overnight.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 15, 2023, 03:49:32 AM
Quote from: Sturisoma on February 11, 2023, 03:24:20 PMThat was a quick update. Happy to see a thiccer Rexy  :))

I guess that's the benefit of removing sculptors from the process. With a 3D model you can redo most of it overnight.

It's not a traditional sculpt as I'm used to but they still have to know what they are doing. I can't do it myself, just no time to learn.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 15, 2023, 04:33:23 AM

It's not a traditional sculpt as I'm used to but they still have to know what they are doing. I can't do it myself, just no time to learn.

I prefer the traditional way myself. I've got a lot of respect for folks like you that still do it by hand.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 15, 2023, 07:28:54 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 15, 2023, 04:33:23 AM

I prefer the traditional way myself. I've got a lot of respect for folks like you that still do it by hand.

I appreciate that and there is definitely something to be said for getting your hands dirty as were, actually touching the material.  I guess I sort of view computers as another tool is all. A good medium would be sculpting and printing a 3D base, so have a good stable structure then detailing that by hand maybe? That way you get both but I'm sure the prices would go up.

blnadal

blnadal

Pliosaurking

Man those look amazing... especially that V Rex!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Two great movie monster designs! Even if the Giga wasn't used to full effect in the film, the Dragon Soul piece has some great 90s/retro dino vibes going. 

So "Conan" is the included mini figure? I can't for the life of me figure out that choice..I might have a dragon I can put him with though.. lol

Carnoking

Those dragon soul figures do look very nice. Too bad they're next to impossible to get  :P

dragon53

After my Leaning Tower of Parasaurolophus disaster, I swore I would never buy another Nanmu dinosaur which was on a peg base and one foot up---but the new V-Rex looks fantastic.

So I have two questions:

1. What are the new V-Rex (base with skulls) and the Giganotosaurus (base with half-eaten mammal) made of?
2. Is there a possibility of a Nanmu King Kong to go with the V-Rex or would a copyright prevent this?

Carnoking

Quote from: dragon53 on February 16, 2023, 04:26:59 PMAfter my Leaning Tower of Parasaurolophus disaster, I swore I would never buy another Nanmu dinosaur which was on a peg base and one foot up---but the new V-Rex looks fantastic.

So I have two questions:

1. What are the new V-Rex (base with skulls) and the Giganotosaurus (base with half-eaten mammal) made of?
2. Is there a possibility of a Nanmu King Kong to go with the V-Rex or would a copyright prevent this?

The Dragon Soul line is made of a type of resin so it should be less prone to warping over time. Nanmu posted about doing a "heat test" on their social media where they essentially left the figures out in the sun to see how they would hold up to heat but I take everything they say with a pinch of salt at this point.

As far making a Kong figure goes, Jackson's design was basically just a large silverback gorilla so it seems like that should actually be less of a legal challenge to make than making products based off of more distinct and original designs. Of course, they couldn't call it King Kong just as they can't claim these to be Jurassic products.

dragon53

CARNOKING:

Thanks for answering my questions.

Over9K

Quote from: Carnoking on February 16, 2023, 04:48:07 PMAs far making a Kong figure goes, Jackson's design was basically just a large silverback gorilla so it seems like that should actually be less of a legal challenge to make than making products based off of more distinct and original designs. Of course, they couldn't call it King Kong just as they can't claim these to be Jurassic products.

Interestingly, they could call it simply "Kong", because M.C. Cooper's original novel is public domain.

Sturisoma

I love the scars on the Dragon Soul giga!!! Too bad I only ordered the pvc one. I like the roaring pose more, and I'm concerned about getting a broken resin giga. I felt cheated when I saw photos of damaged resin carnos... even after all those test falls. That long slender tail on the resin giga reminds me of the broken neck resin brach  :'( to be fair though, all my Dragon Souls arrived in one piece, but I just feel that my luck would run out soon  :))

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: