News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, January 23, 2023, 03:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Signed up for the email stock notice.

Carnoking

Took advantage of the recent Safari Black Friday Sale! Was originally going to wait till the Stegouros and Therizinosaurus were available to get the Estemmenosuchus but after hearing I'd be waiting until 2024 for the Theri, I decided to throw in a few of the soon-to-be extinct figures to hit that shipping minimum.

I originally had both the Citipati and Vagaceratops but sold them to make space a while back. Well, I'm sure kicking myself for selling a few other now discontinued Safari models, so had to add them back to the collection!

But the real star is the Estemmenosuchus! Always love seeing the weirdos get made.

Flaffy

Quote from: Carnoking on December 08, 2023, 05:31:53 PM

But the real star is the Estemmenosuchus! Always love seeing the weirdos get made.

Indeed! The sculpt really captures what I imagine Estemmenosuchus to look like. It's a bit of a shame that I won't be getting these in 2023 though seeing as to how EverythingDinosaur doesn't have them in stock yet. :'(

Nyrorosaurus

Stegotyranno420

Glad to see the large size is preserved.
Would be real cool if this guy appeared in the "local" shop.

Jose S.M.

That Therizinosaurus is pretty big! I want it even more now.

SidB

I like DinoScream's idea of using it as the male to PNSO'S Theri being the female. Yeah, Safari did a great job on the claws, feathering and paint scheme. A definite 'acquire'. My favorite Safari from this crop of figures.

Prehistory Resurrection

Dan

Use Dan's Dinosaurs promo code "dtfmember" during checkout for
$6.00 off Safari Therizinosaurus
Offer expires today
Redeem here:
https://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/therizinosaurus-by-safari/

Shane

Just to address a comment I'm seeing on both video reviews, regarding how the brown on the body looks "almost black".

On the actual figure, it's definitely brown. Both videos have pretty strong contrast in the lighting that makes the lights lighter and darks darker.

In hand, it's a very unique look, a rich brown with a bluish iridescence. But not "black" at all.

Lynx

I've wanted this figure since I saw it, and I've finally gotten it for Christmas!

Utahraptor has been a long time favorite of mine. Since I was fairly little I often used velociraptor toys as stand-ins due to the Safari LTD one (at the time) no longer being sold.

Here we are! And this figure is absolutely beautiful in real life. Everything goes so nicely together that pictures would never do it any justice. The blue/grey isn't jarring at all and looks really nice with the other colors!
An oversized house cat.

Sim

That's great Lynx! :)  I'm still waiting for Everything Dinosaur to get the Utahraptor in stock.  Hopefully it'll be sometime soon!

Flaffy

I do miss when figures were actually available to purchase in the year they're supposed to be released in...

Lynx

Quote from: Sim on December 25, 2023, 12:45:26 PMThat's great Lynx! :)  I'm still waiting for Everything Dinosaur to get the Utahraptor in stock.  Hopefully it'll be sometime soon!

Shame to hear it hasn't gone in stock on Everything Dinosaur. Has there been any rough ETA or word from them regarding such?
An oversized house cat.

Sim

I haven't seen anything from ED regarding when they might get it in stock.  I'm also interested in some of Safari's 2023 modern animal figures and I have no idea when anywhere that ships to the UK will get them in stock.

Flaffy

Is it just me or does the mini Tuatara from the toob feel more proportionate compared to it's larger counterpart? I recognise that it might just be a matter of posing as they may very well share the same base sculpt, just shrunken down. As expressed by avatar_Lanthanotus @Lanthanotus in the IC Tuatara review on the AnimalToyBlog:

"Strangely the Toob Tuatara is much more accurate in its proportions, as the IC has a very small body and the limb girdles are set much to high towards the spine."

Pics by avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi

Pics by avatar_Joliezac @Joliezac

bmathison1972

It's not really an apples-to-apples comparison, a TOOB vs. IC figure. That being said, the TOOB figure is fantastic, and it replaces the Kaiyodo Dinotales figure in my synoptic collection.

Flaffy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 10, 2024, 07:24:56 PMIt's not really an apples-to-apples comparison, a TOOB vs. IC figure. That being said, the TOOB figure is fantastic, and it replaces the Kaiyodo Dinotales figure in my synoptic collection.

But usually it's the mini that has the more stylised proportions and not the other way around, so this case strikes me as particularly odd.

Both the IC and Toob are fantastic Tuataras, but I just can't get past the IC's stubby tail. Tuataras can regrow their tails like many other lizards, but similarly the regrown portion never regains it's original length. Therefore this "individual variation" in tail length is not morphological, but from external factors.

I personally tend to avoid getting "battle damaged" figures (a reason why I haven't picked up the Southlands Perentine), especially when non-"damaged" representations of the animal are available on the market. The Toob figure potentially represents an "ideal" representative of a Tuatara with its fuller tail. It also happens to be a much better size for dioramas as well at ~1/6?.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Didn't Safari used to cast real specimens for it's 1:1 creatures?

stargatedalek

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 11, 2024, 12:51:21 AMDidn't Safari used to cast real specimens for it's 1:1 creatures?
They sure did, I have a few that are (a few snakes, an iguana, monitor lizard, and tokay gecko), and I believe one or two snakes that are might even still be in production.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: