News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenestra

Quote from: ceratopsian on December 26, 2023, 05:11:59 PMTrue avatar_Bread @Bread!  Looks like it will be essential.
Quote from: Bread on December 26, 2023, 03:37:05 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on December 26, 2023, 03:30:02 PMIn the video, Mr Zhao Chuang has constantly to keep hold of his model to stop it tipping over.  The only time it seems to stand without his fingertips balancing it is when the end of the tail is off the edge of the table.
Well, at least it comes with a support rod.
If it's going to need a support rod then PNSO didn't take adventage of the tripod stance it is already in. That would be a shame.

Over9K

Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on December 21, 2023, 08:37:52 PMDo you guys think PNSO is going to remake again Tyrannosaurus next year? I'm thinking about buying Cameron for 60$ but the possibility that they might make a new version with lips soon puts me off.

Yes. I have a feeling that Cameron not having lips really stung them, when the public comments came in and almost to-a-man every one of us mentioned lips, and 95% of us lamented that Cameron didn't have them, and then artists adding lips to Cameron became like a viral thing on social media all of a sudden right as Cameron was shipping. I'm assuming they have realized their error and they're going to get that new rex out ASAP.

Personally, I bought Cameron, had Cameron lipped, and I'm going to get another one. I'm also going to double-dip on W-Dragon's lipped/lipless Stan models. It's interesting to see these models together, at what is likely the turning point in the science, and how John and Jane Q Normal view this dinosaur, with pop-culture following in a decade or so.

John

Quote from: Over9K on December 26, 2023, 08:23:38 PM
Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on December 21, 2023, 08:37:52 PMDo you guys think PNSO is going to remake again Tyrannosaurus next year? I'm thinking about buying Cameron for 60$ but the possibility that they might make a new version with lips soon puts me off.

Yes. I have a feeling that Cameron not having lips really stung them, when the public comments came in and almost to-a-man every one of us mentioned lips, and 95% of us lamented that Cameron didn't have them, and then artists adding lips to Cameron became like a viral thing on social media all of a sudden right as Cameron was shipping. I'm assuming they have realized their error and they're going to get that new rex out ASAP.

Personally, I bought Cameron, had Cameron lipped, and I'm going to get another one. I'm also going to double-dip on W-Dragon's lipped/lipless Stan models. It's interesting to see these models together, at what is likely the turning point in the science, and how John and Jane Q Normal view this dinosaur, with pop-culture following in a decade or so.
You may want to keep the new one "lipless".Take a look at the newest restoration of a juvenile Gorgosaurus by Julius Csotonyi and the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology here on this article about the remains of it's last meal being preserved:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/world/fossils-show-dismembered-young-dinosaurs-belly-t-rex-cousin-3976456

Whether they had  "lips" or not,you will still have an accurate one either way.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Bread

Quote from: John on December 26, 2023, 10:17:33 PM

You may want to keep the new one "lipless".Take a look at the newest restoration of a juvenile Gorgosaurus by Julius Csotonyi and the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology here on this article about the remains of it's last meal being preserved:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/world/fossils-show-dismembered-young-dinosaurs-belly-t-rex-cousin-3976456

Why would one artwork of a juvenile Gorgosaurus without lips all of the sudden change the outcome for therapods to have lips?

John

Quote from: Bread on December 27, 2023, 12:00:18 PM
Quote from: John on December 26, 2023, 10:17:33 PM

Why would one artwork of a juvenile Gorgosaurus without lips all of the sudden change the outcome for therapods to have lips?
I'm not sure why online fans get so upset so easily on this subject... it borders on the ridiculous.If Gorgosaurus turned out not to have been lipped,they would angrily stop being interested in dinosaurs altogether... ::)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Bread

Quote from: John on December 27, 2023, 04:09:33 PM
Quote from: Bread on December 27, 2023, 12:00:18 PMWhy would one artwork of a juvenile Gorgosaurus without lips all of the sudden change the outcome for therapods to have lips?
I'm not sure why online fans get so upset so easily on this subject... it borders on the ridiculous.If Gorgosaurus turned out not to have been lipped,they would angrily stop being interested in dinosaurs altogether... ::)
What?

I simply asked, and I am at least personally not upset over the debate of lips/lipless therapods. If anything I find it certainly interesting even if I sway to one side over the other.

Not sure why you are projecting your assumptions over one question, which you did not even answer.

John

Quote from: Bread on December 27, 2023, 04:23:33 PM
Quote from: John on December 27, 2023, 04:09:33 PM
Quote from: Bread on December 27, 2023, 12:00:18 PMWhy would one artwork of a juvenile Gorgosaurus without lips all of the sudden change the outcome for therapods to have lips?
What?

I simply asked, and I am at least personally not upset over the debate of lips/lipless therapods. If anything I find it certainly interesting even if I sway to one side over the other.

Not sure why you are projecting your assumptions over one question, which you did not even answer.
I apologize for that,I just had someone actually get personal and call me names on another site over the subject for not choosing his side.What the image shows is that there is still no consensus among experts on the subject,even after the newest paper by Cullen et.al.For instance the newest dinosaur exhibit in the Queensland Museum includes a life size fleshed out model of Australovenator that is "lipless" while the just released Tyrannosaurus coin designed by Robert Nichols for the Natural History Museum,London is clearly "lipped".

There is said to be a rebuttal to the Cullen paper from Carr in an upcoming study on "Jane" the juvenile T. rex coming up,but whether it's going to be just the same old arguments he made against it before or something new remains to be seen.
All in all,I wouldn't be surprised if the truth was somewhere in the middle with some being more "lipped" than others.

Prehistory Resurrection

Over9K

Quote from: John on December 26, 2023, 10:17:33 PMYou may want to keep the new one "lipless".Take a look at the newest restoration of a juvenile Gorgosaurus by Julius Csotonyi and the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology here on this article about the remains of it's last meal being preserved:

That's intent, to have both lipped and lipless Camerons. When both types are offered, I'm going to get both. I have Kiss/Tusk as well. It's interesting to see artists interpret both theories on the same animal.

Carnoking

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on December 27, 2023, 08:10:26 PM

No doubt about it, that's one heck of a gorgeous figure. When PNSO is firing on all cylinders, there's really no comparison.

SRF

I agree avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking. This Spinosaurus is definitely one of PNSO's best figures of the past year. I wonder when the next big AliExpress sale will be...
But today, I'm just being father

ceratopsian

My goodness what superb attention to detail on sculpting the scales. And what a wonderful paint job!

SenSx

Great Spino figure.
Just find it a bit small for 1/35.
I'll try to grab the Mesozoic Life one if I can, haven't kickstart it, otherwise the PNSO could be a good alternative.

Bread

That's alright avatar_John @John, I have definitely seen the name calling to be a result of prehistoric debating lately, really is frustrating. And my apologies as well if I came off as rude towards your response, that was not my intention to do so.

And yes, I've heard about the Carr paper, and I'm curious to see and hear when it will come to light. But anyways, I'm sure there's still going to be eyebrows raised. I may be in favor and biased towards therapods having lips; however, I'm open to reading said paper, I just hope it lacks the comparison of crocodilians.

SRF

Quote from: SenSx on December 28, 2023, 11:24:09 AMGreat Spino figure.
Just find it a bit small for 1/35.
I'll try to grab the Mesozoic Life one if I can, haven't kickstart it, otherwise the PNSO could be a good alternative.

At 1/35 it represents a 14 meter long animal. To determine the exact scale it's better to measure the skull or legs, but this overall measurement makes it a perfectly plausible sized Spinosaurus to me.
But today, I'm just being father

SidB

Quote from: Over9K on December 28, 2023, 04:47:37 AM
Quote from: John on December 26, 2023, 10:17:33 PMYou may want to keep the new one "lipless".Take a look at the newest restoration of a juvenile Gorgosaurus by Julius Csotonyi and the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology here on this article about the remains of it's last meal being preserved:

That's intent, to have both lipped and lipless Camerons. When both types are offered, I'm going to get both. I have Kiss/Tusk as well. It's interesting to see artists interpret both theories on the same animal.
No doubt, avatar_Over9K @Over9K , it's an interesting comparison -

postsaurischian

Quote from: ceratopsian on December 28, 2023, 09:15:55 AMMy goodness what superb attention to detail on sculpting the scales. And what a wonderful paint job!

So true!

I regret having bought the other two versions a bit. I don't need them in my collection anymore.

ceratopsian

I have only the second, small version.  They might actually display quite well together as adult and adolescent....

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 28, 2023, 03:42:58 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on December 28, 2023, 09:15:55 AMMy goodness what superb attention to detail on sculpting the scales. And what a wonderful paint job!

So true!

I regret having bought the other two versions a bit. I don't need them in my collection anymore.

MLMjp

Ok, I have to get this Spino at some point. And for once, I actually really like the yellow-ish color scheme.

Tracewyrm!

Quote from: Concavenator on December 22, 2023, 08:17:34 PM

If this is a work in progress image of the inevitable lipped rex and it is indeed a Wilson remake instead of Cameron, I wonder what that will mean for the paint scheme.

Will we be following the trend of generally darker rexes established by Andrea and Cameron, or will this stay more consistent with Wilson and keep the comparatively brighter pallete?
* (It's locked.)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: